U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM
JL JL started this thread

6,273 posts, read 6,270,633 times
Default How long before i walk on my kitchen ceramic tile area

after re-grouting them? I just finished re-grouting several of my kitchen ceramic tiles. How long i need to let it dry before i can walk on them? Also, how long will i need to wait before sealing them? After sealing them, how long do i need to stay off the tiles? The home depot guy told me about 3-4 hours before i can walk on them after grouting and that i can apply the sealant after the grout dries right away.However, i 'm getting different responses from Google searches. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

2,737 posts, read 688,973 times
I've done a lot of tiling over the years.

The first thing you need to know is that the guy at Home Depot has probably never done one single bit of tile work.

That said, if you want to do it right, don't walk on the floor for 12 hours. Wait for another 24-48 hours before you seal the grout. There is a BIG difference between grout being dry to the touch, and being cured.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM
JL JL started this thread

6,273 posts, read 6,270,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I've done a lot of tiling over the years.

The first thing you need to know is that the guy at Home Depot has probably never done one single bit of tile work.

That said, if you want to do it right, don't walk on the floor for 12 hours. Wait for another 24-48 hours before you seal the grout. There is a BIG difference between grout being dry to the touch, and being cured.
So how long does it take before it is actually cured? I will wait 12 hrs like you said before i walk on them. No problem waiting another 24-48hrs to seal the grout. Thanks for the tips.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM

2,737 posts, read 688,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
So how long does it take before it is actually cured? I will wait 12 hrs like you said before i walk on them. No problem waiting another 24-48hrs to seal the grout. Thanks for the tips.
Roughly speaking, 30 days.

Honestly, it would be best to wait that long to seal it. However, most people - and for good reason - don't want to wait that long. It's too easy for there to be something spilled on it.

If you really want to do a bang-up job, do your first application of sealant after 48 hours. Then, 30 days later, clean the grout with a toothbrush, using a strong mix of bleach & water. Let it dry thoroughly, then re-seal.

Depending on how dark your grout is, and how picky you are, you might want to clean it & re-seal it at least once per year.

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

6,321 posts, read 18,881,290 times
A re-grout job will be dry and cured in 24-48hrs. A new tile job (portland bed, thinset, grout) can take several weeks to completely cure.

"The bang-up job" would be sealing the tiles BEFORE they're laid; then sealing everything after the grout is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House