Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times

Advertisements

I call a room a living room if there is only one place to put a sofa and tv. If there are two then the more formal is dubbed the "living room" while the more casual is the "family room". The two houses I've lived in that had both had a family room in the back, off the kitchen/dining space, while the living room was off by itself at the front of the home. Although both are fairly casual and have a tv just because our lifestyle demanded it.

Great room is when everything is open to each other with no separation or privacy, something I hate and will never have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 05:03 PM

45 posts, read 40,288 times
I don't have a great room or family room just an old 3 bedroom house with kitchen, dining and living rooms. I use a bedroom for a den/computer/tv room for just me, it has my private papers and I can shut the door and heat or air condition separately. I use my living room to get away from the tv and computer, read a book or chat with people it isn't formal but comfortable, old lazyboy chair and a couch but lots of throws to bundle up to read but no other clutter, if I had a Christmas tree that is where it would be.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
A living room is a living room A funny term I used to hear was people who called it a parlor.

A family room is a new name for a den. Or separate area for the family to lounge in usually with a TV and sometimes a fireplace.

A great room is a fancy large living dining room sometimes open to the kitchen area and usually has tall ceilings at least in some parts of the room.

My sister has a living room and family room, the tv is in the family room and they never really use the living room except to walk thru to get in the house.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:49 AM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
A living room is a living room A funny term I used to hear was people who called it a parlor.

A family room is a new name for a den. Or separate area for the family to lounge in usually with a TV and sometimes a fireplace.

A great room is a fancy large living dining room sometimes open to the kitchen area and usually has tall ceilings at least in some parts of the room.

My sister has a living room and family room, the tv is in the family room and they never really use the living room except to walk thru to get in the house.

LOL,

Here in Brooklyn NY, there are many Brownstones, and they are still referred to as the "Parlor floor".
with a "Front Parlor", and some have "Rear Parlors" as well.
the kitchens are usually downstairs.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:13 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
I guess mine is really a Great Room since it's one open room on the main floor, with the kitchen, dining room and living room with a TV. But even though it's not separate rooms, I generally just refer to each functional area as needed, and everyone seems to understand what I mean.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...ih=667#imgrc=_

Here are some picture of great rooms, I find it pretentious to call a room a great room.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
The terms vary, but the way I've usually used it, a living room is a formal sitting area whereas a family room/rec room is an informal sitting area. This is a common distinction but not universal (and I've put the big TV in my living room, which would make my parents and inlaws faint over the impropriety).

A parlour is a formal reception area; some people in my area talk about it, but mostly when they have old houses that actually have such a room.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM

132 posts, read 153,846 times
I pretty much agree with everyone else. If there is one room it is a living room. If there are two rooms, the more formal room is the living room and less formal is the family room. A great room is where the kitchen/dining/living rooms all flow together and usually has high ceilings.

Growing up our house had the living and dining room at the front, off what we called the front hall with the front stairs. This was the formal public space used for entertaining guests. At the back of the house was the kitchen, breakfast room, back stairs, and what we called the library but I guess was the family room. These were the informal spaces we used everyday.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nws2002 View Post
I pretty much agree with everyone else. If there is one room it is a living room. If there are two rooms, the more formal room is the living room and less formal is the family room. A great room is where the kitchen/dining/living rooms all flow together and usually has high ceilings.
In my part of New England, I usually assume by context that a den is a small, intimate room with a low ceiling. It projects the image of a cave-like fox/wolf/bear den. It might be big enough to hold a sofa and a couple of recliners. A family room has more square footage. You're not going to invite 10 people over to watch the football game in the den. They wouldn't fit.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
for me- a family room was a room the family gathered in. Watched tv, etc. Living room was off limits for us. We didnt have a great room.

Now we have a living room, which is used like a family room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House