Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Here, in Las Vegas, in the older sections of the city, homes built in the 40's, 50's, 60's, cinder-block, concrete construction was the predominate mode of housing construction here, and then around 1970 it all came to a halt. There's a realtor who now does tours of those areas to show people some of the unique houses created during that period, mostly in the older, wealthier areas, which is creating a revival in those areas. Granted, you can put up a "stick house" much quicker, perhaps that's what happened, the city had a big boom period after 1970 and developers were in a rush to get them up as quickly as possible.

In Phoenix, I had a home in an older historical section, built in 1940, and the house was all brick, with a layer of stucco on the outside. But the roof was wood, and given the termite problems in Phoenix, I so wished the roof had been concrete. I had continual problems with those brown streaks coming down from the roof area, due to the termites. A neighbor of mine, in that same area, had to replace his entire roof! All eaten away!

I will concede that concrete construction is not advisable for every part of the country, but the SW desert regions (Las Vegas gets 4 inches of rain a year!) are ideal for it.

As for stucco, in my 1970 circa townhouse, I have such a thick layer of stucco on my house, I need a concrete drill bit to hang something on it. The stucco layer on the new houses in Las Vegas is so paper thin it serves little or no function at all. I was going home care on someone who owned one of these new houses, she asked me to nail something to her wall near the pool one day, all I had to do was puncture it with the thinnest of nails! I was shocked!

And given all the illegals that helped build up Las Vegas, with their masonry skills, it's a shame all that talent went to waste and more higher quality housing weren't built!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Some of the things you are saying are somewhat true, but obviously from someone who knows little about construction or construction technology. There is too much to respond to, that would take to long. One note for your friend with the "paper thin" stucco (google EIFS, if you want to know what it is), its not advisable to put holes in your exterior walls, not matter what it is. Water, termites love holes.
One note, too on your "brick house". Unless Im wrong you had a wood framed roof, and you had wood framed walls too. Unless you had brick interior walls, they were framed in wood first....

Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
My brick house in Phoenix was all brick, reason I know is I needed to use a drill bit to hang a picture!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Default The answer I got from my friend in Mexico

I asked my friend that lives in Mexico, and this is what she told me.......

my mom told me that the cement houses are better because they last? more

and here we cant used wood first because we don't have too many trees and second because they can start a fire haha is dangerous

also my mom say that you can't get an insurance? for the house if is not made of concrete or that

all the houses made by the company Infonavit are of that, those houses are the ones the government give you

that's how it's called, the company (Infonavit) that build for the gov.

All the people while a few years they get point of working so they can have a credit to get a house

and Infonavit is the company who gives the house to the workers

and they are build with cement

Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Yep - Bingo. Many homes in Mexico... especially in Baja and the desert regions are because they do not have trees for wood. Mexico doesn't have much of a timber industry, nor any nearby... thousands of miles... so they use Concrete and the materials around them.

I live in Florida, my house is made of cinderblock, except for the roof, which is wood truss and composite shingles. Concrete is beneficial here for a couple reasons. It's more wind resistant and termite resistant. IN fact, stick built homes cost a fortune to insure here.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I thought Florida has some concrete houses. Anyway, yes they'd be a good idea in other parts of the country, but part of the problem is that in fire-prone areas in the mountains, people like to show off fancy log cabins and other wooden buildings. They do have their charm.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I thought Florida has some concrete houses. Anyway, yes they'd be a good idea in other parts of the country, but part of the problem is that in fire-prone areas in the mountains, people like to show off fancy log cabins and other wooden buildings. They do have their charm.
If you go back to my post about foxblocks you will see you can have a fairly traditional looking house, made from concrete, but yes most ICF homes are ultra modern looking.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM

324 posts, read 714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
If you go back to my post about foxblocks you will see you can have a fairly traditional looking house, made from concrete, but yes most ICF homes are ultra modern looking.
And cost more to construct. By the time you lay out the ICF's and set the rebar in place, I will have my cement walls already up and the forms ready to remove. Usually with ICF's you can only go up one floor.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
mnay homes in hurricane araes are now cider block basic walls with say brick or other outside construction.Plan old cinder block walls really are not that good in winds or earthqaukes unless they are reenforced with concrete filling. its expensive to build tho. Most of mexico's builidng of that type have nt been too safe during earthqaukes tho because they are just cider block.My neighbor had a out builidng that just colpased during hurricane rita while normal structures did much better. Once a cider block with out concrete filling gives some it tends to just totally collapse from waht I have seen persoanlly.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM

324 posts, read 714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
mnay homes in hurricane araes are now cider block basic walls with say brick or other outside construction.Plan old cinder block walls really are not that good in winds or earthqaukes unless they are reenforced with concrete filling. its expensive to build tho. Most of mexico's builidng of that type have nt been too safe during earthqaukes tho because they are just cider block.My neighbor had a out builidng that just colpased during hurricane rita while normal structures did much better. Once a cider block with out concrete filling gives some it tends to just totally collapse from waht I have seen persoanlly.
CBC or cinder blocks need to be filled with cement or concrete up to the top (ie from ground to ten feet up) otherwise they will collapse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House