U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 PM

599 posts, read 946,136 times

Advertisements

We moved into a house that came with LG front loading, HE washer and dryer. They are about 5 years old. Our laundry room is on the top floor, and it shakes the entire house. When it runs, my 2 year old thinks it is a plane. We put it on anti-vibration pads but it did not make a difference. Also, the dryer practically burns our clothes.

We plan to replace with a top loader that has the HE technology in January. We left our other units (whirlpool cabrion top loader with HE tech) in our old house because we thought we were upgrading!

Any input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM

13,067 posts, read 14,744,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
We moved into a house that came with LG front loading, HE washer and dryer. They are about 5 years old. Our laundry room is on the top floor, and it shakes the entire house. When it runs, my 2 year old thinks it is a plane. We put it on anti-vibration pads but it did not make a difference. Also, the dryer practically burns our clothes.

We plan to replace with a top loader that has the HE technology in January. We left our other units (whirlpool cabrion top loader with HE tech) in our old house because we thought we were upgrading!

Any input?
If the load is balanced and the washer still shakes, maybe it needs a new bearing. But you may also want to see if the legs or pads under the washer are level. These should be easy to adjust. Also, you want to make sure that the washer is sitting on a floor that's solid.

We have had a Whirlpool HE top loader for around four years already. It has taken lots of use, but we haven't had a single problem with it.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:06 AM

10,572 posts, read 8,996,433 times
I have an LG front-loader and dryer. Both are six years old and are located in the garage. When the washer is running I can hear it vibrating throughout the entire house. The unit has been balanced and the legs leveled.

The dryer works fine but I'll never have another LG washer. Three different parts (including the computer) went out during the warranty period. When the computer went out I was without a washer for over a month because LG doesnt allow its parts to be stocked anywhere except some mysterious main factory and it takes forever for repairmen to order/receive them.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 AM

10,022 posts, read 7,187,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I have an LG front-loader and dryer. Both are six years old and are located in the garage. When the washer is running I can hear it vibrating throughout the entire house. The unit has been balanced and the legs leveled.

The dryer works fine but I'll never have another LG washer. Three different parts (including the computer) went out during the warranty period. When the computer went out I was without a washer for over a month because LG doesnt allow its parts to be stocked anywhere except some mysterious main factory and it takes forever for repairmen to order/receive them.

O M G ------I have an LG front load washer and an LG gas dryer. Haven't had any problems yet.....but now I'm freakin...........
The gas dryer is awesome BTW. Love it!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,948,990 times
I too have an LG set and although it is perfectly level front to back and side to side, the washer thumps and vibrates something terrible at low RPM spins; once it gets up to high speed it's fine.

Manually select a lower heat for the dryer. The "high" on my LG is too hot for my taste, even on jeans and towels.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:16 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,723,815 times
I'll never jump on the front loader train. I've used them and can't stand having to clean the rubber around the doors. The only advantage is being able to wash big things like comforters, but that's not a good enough reason to have all of the other hassles that come with a front loaders.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 PM

8,528 posts, read 12,729,565 times
We recently replaced our Maytag Neptune front-loader set with an LG pair. Even before we put anti-vibration pads under them (which we did for good measure), we found the machines to be extremely quiet - especially compared to the older Maytag set, which sounded like the space shuttle taking off every time the spin cycles started.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'll never jump on the front loader train. I've used them and can't stand having to clean the rubber around the doors.

Amen. Cleaning the inside of the rubber gasket is a frequent, and ugly, job...probably the one I dislike the most. I'm retired and live alone, with laundry that's never really dirty, so I always wonder about the gunk that accumulates in there. (If there were a vomiting icon, it'd be inserted here.)

Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM

10,022 posts, read 7,187,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Amen. Cleaning the inside of the rubber gasket is a frequent, and ugly, job...probably the one I dislike the most. I'm retired and live alone, with laundry that's never really dirty, so I always wonder about the gunk that accumulates in there. (If there were a vomiting icon, it'd be inserted here.)

I use vinegar,which I keep in a spray bottle right by the washer. After each load I spray the gasket with it then put a dry wash rag into the gasket; where it stays until my next load. Seems to work.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I use vinegar,which I keep in a spray bottle right by the washer. After each load I spray the gasket with it then put a dry wash rag into the gasket; where it stays until my next load. Seems to work.

Good idea! Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House