Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times

Advertisements

My house has two queen beds. One is against the wall to the left of the doorway and one has the head of the bed against the window. I would say it depends on things like the type of headboard and whether it is important to be able to get in and out of bed easily on both sides. Also, you would not want to be laying next to a cold window if the heat vent/radiator is too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yes, it was meant to be a bit humorous. However, marriage is a commitment for life, and I really don't care which direction the bed sits as long as she's in it. Money, and possessions mean nothing unless you have someone to share it with. My professional (retired now at 52) life would not have been what it was without my spouses support. She worked when she could, and stayed home with the kids when they were little. Things aren't hers or mine, they're ours. After 32 years of what do I want for dinner and me saying whatever you make is fine doesn't mean I don't want her to quit asking!
MrWillys - well said. You sound like a wise and loving man.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
In my master bedroom, the bed is between two windows. The bed faces the doorway when you walk into the room. If it were on a wall without windows, it would be on the wall with the entrance to the room. I don't like that look. There's no visual appeal from the doorway.

Traditionally, beds were kept on interior walls for avoiding drafts while sleeping. That's outdated thinking, something our grandparents did back when houses were heated by fireplaces and got cold at night.

Sell the house and buy a new one. It's stressful on a relationship when one partner moves into the other partner's existing house. It causes you to feel authoritative over the space instead of partners who have equal say.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times
I say that good feng shui always involves a happy wife Roll with it because in the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal where your bed is situated. If you are concerned that your fiance is going to come into a home that has been in the family for many years and change things you need to process the feelings you have about that. She is going to have some control over something that you obviously feel ownership towards. Don't add her to the title and let her put furniture wherever she wants!

Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Most women are willing to listen to reasoned logic, but not accusations and just that you dont like it. However, if she is not listening to sound reasoned logic of why the bed should not be that close to a radiator, then there is either a problem with her, your delivery or the relationship. She is acting selfish if she expects you to drop all your hard earned cash on major redecorating that could just as well be done, over time. I have done alot of renovating and redecorating in my fiances house, but i have done it over four years, gradually, and i work and pay for stuff myself, as well as do the diy work. we have been together long enough that he trusts my opinion on these things, and my knowledge so its no big deal for me to just go moving things around. It did not even occur to me to start making any changes to the inside of his home beyond clearing out the garage so there was someplace to store my crap until WE figured out how to fit it all in. Its still a work in progress.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Pick your battles, is all I have to say.

I have better decorating sense than my husband does. That doesn't mean I don't listen to his ideas, or even try them out sometimes (why not, ya know?). On occasion, he actually does have a better idea than I do about decorating. But GENERALLY, I'm better at that than he is.

I don't want a TV in the bedroom, but you know what - he doesn't even KNOW this - and you know why? Because I knew long before I married him that he really likes to watch TV in bed before going to sleep. In other words, it was very important to him, and though I really didn't care for it, it was a compromise I was willing to make, because I love him and want him to be comfortable.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
We have a tv in the bedroom, and its for me, so i can watch something besides sports.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM

31 posts, read 43,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Most women are willing to listen to reasoned logic, but not accusations and just that you dont like it. However, if she is not listening to sound reasoned logic of why the bed should not be that close to a radiator, then there is either a problem with her, your delivery or the relationship. She is acting selfish if she expects you to drop all your hard earned cash on major redecorating that could just as well be done, over time. I have done alot of renovating and redecorating in my fiances house, but i have done it over four years, gradually, and i work and pay for stuff myself, as well as do the diy work. we have been together long enough that he trusts my opinion on these things, and my knowledge so its no big deal for me to just go moving things around. It did not even occur to me to start making any changes to the inside of his home beyond clearing out the garage so there was someplace to store my crap until WE figured out how to fit it all in. Its still a work in progress.

Yeah, I agree with your strategy. She kind of wants everything all at once, I agree about doing it over time. I am not bashing her either, I love this woman and I would only be too happy to if I had the $, but I am struggling like everyone else. I realize I am putting myself at risk to be a called a selfish ******* like country girl did or whatever her name was, but in addition to new bedroom furniture, she wants the bedroom walls painted, new toilet-vanity-floor for one of the bathrooms, just finished having the upstairs bathroom done for 9k, new dining room set, new stove top (which is pretty important), new fridge (current one works fine), new washer and dryer (ditto). She wants all this before the wedding in May. Also just paid the ring off (6k) and am still looking at the wedding expenses.

Long story short, there is a lot going on financially, which is why I guess I stress over the little things like the bed placement. If being concerned about financial things makes me less quality husband material or selfish or raises too many red flags, than so be it, but I don't think it is a crime to have financial concerns in today's environment.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Why not have the head of the bed against a window? The stained glass makes sleeping together a religious experience as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House