Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times

Advertisements

Going way way back in my career I had a client, her real birth last name was Brassiere. Mrs Brassiere lived in apartment 44D in Middlesex, NJ

Another street very close to where I lived is Snoozin Tree Lane in Parsippany, NJ

I have more from NJ but the CD censors would bleep it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I dislike long street names. In Olathe, Kansas, (a suburb of Kansas City) there's a street named Prince Edward Island Lane. How'd you like to try to scribble that on a rebate form or a contest entry or something else small?

And speaking of stupid names, there's a mobile home park in Belton, MO where the street names are all out of the TV show "Dallas": Ray Krebbs Lane, Sue Ellen Avenue, Miss Ellie Circle, etc.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM

34 posts, read 95,640 times
There's a Hooker Avenue in my town!!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I wouldn't mind a weird street name. But would not want to move to a location with a long or difficult to spell street name. Like: "Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard".

Do the people who work at cities, that choose these LONG names, never fill out the address line on forms?

If they did, they would realize "Abernathy Boulevard" would be a better choice!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellesmama View Post
There's a Hooker Avenue in my town!!
There's a Hooker Place in mine. TBH, that's one I never really thought was too funny.

It's a few blocks away from Burden Avenue. Meh.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,285,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I've seen a picture of that sign a number of times in compilations of funny street signs. Someone wrote up a whole wiki page about it: Shades Of Death Road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[edit]
OMG, do you know how hard it has been to find more than basic, encyclopedic, information on the Lenape Indians. My great, great grand mother (from County Clare, Ireland) married a Lenape chief. My redneck relatives have since destroyed (I'm sure) the picture of them together, along with any other proof of the marriage. Even though we all found, and saw, the picture at the same time, my relatives now deny any existence of the picture and of our American Indian lineage.

From the Shades of Death wikipedia page:
"The Fairy Hole
To the right of Ghost lake, there is a small cave, once used by Lenape Indians. Weird NJ says that though the cave is now easily accessible, and also covered in graffiti, archaeologists who surveyed the area in 1918 found pottery shards, flint, and broken arrow heads. From their findings, the archaeologists concluded that "The Fairy Hole" was not often visited. It may have been used as a simple resting point for traveling or hunting Lenape, but with its close proximity to several known burial sites, it is said to be a sacred or religiously important site. This survey was conducted before the creation of Ghost Lake."

I wouldn't be reluctant to buy a house with a stupid name, I think I rather like living on Psycho Path (St) MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
I love the name of my street, Appletree Rd.

Having said that the name of the road wouldn't play a factor in deciding a house purchase.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
Here are some of my favorite local one (I am in CT)....Beelzebub Road, Pennywise Road, which intersects with Poundfoolish Lane. Climax Road which intersects Bushy Hill Road. We also have Roast Meat Hill Road.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Not very far from where I grew up in NW NJ there was a road called: SHADES OF DEATH ROAD.

And of course everyone knows those little towns just over the border along the I-80 corridor on the PA side. Would you like to live in Intercourse, PA ? There are a couple more but the the CD auto sensors would just delete it anyway.

No I would not want to live on a road with some type of negative name.
Haha, I live in NJ and I've seen that road. There's also Breakneck Road in Wayne, NJ. Very twisty road with steep drops on the sides in some areas.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I've always wanted to live on a street that is the same as my last name. I know where several such streets are, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House