Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Poorly written because it doesn't have pictures?

There can only be before and after pictures if the trespassers bothered to take pictures.

It's not like the media can produce a picture after the fact.
Hmmmmm good point. A picture of the balcony in question would do well for the reader to form their own opinions just the same. I just felt the article was incomplete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Seriously...The Federal Appeals Court...Talk about wasting our tax dollars. I would welcome anyone who wants to come clean....LOL...I'd even provide the lunch and snacks....
If you don't want to live under HOA rules...by a single family home elsewhere. Life is about options...Choose yours wisely.
I'm sorry, people keep posting this BS response, but it is just that, BS. In older parts of the US this is definitely true, there are options. But in the sun belt and the south west, boom areas, 90%+ of the housing stock is HOA. Unless you want to live in a ghetto or a rundown shack on in the outskirts of the city then you are stuck with an HOA. That, or you have enough money to buy a large track of land and build yourself. Unfortunately these are not realistic options for most people. Most people do not "choose" an HOA because they want a gated community where every house is the same shade of taupe. They are stuck with them because it is the only decent place available in the metro region. The fact that they're then under the reins of a private government that answers to no one is frankly disturbing.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think HOA are the worst thing ever invented.

I cannot see how anyone in their right mind would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home, and have someone else set rules upon them. you have to be kidding

absolute insanity.

here in the NY area and the borough we have no HOA.

My parents have a beautiful home in Staten Island, there are no HOA there, and yet everyone manages to have a well kept front and back yards.

And to think people pay a fee every month to be told you cannot have a clothesline in your back yard, or cant park your car on your driveway...people pay for that........unbelieveable..

the ladys patio was none of their business and had no right to do what they did.

how would they like it if she deceided she didnt like the color of their front door and re painted it while they were gone????

Last edited by nightcrawler; 01-08-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm sorry, people keep posting this BS response, but it is just that, BS. In older parts of the US this is definitely true, there are options. But in the sun belt and the south west, boom areas, 90%+ of the housing stock is HOA. Unless you want to live in a ghetto or a rundown shack on in the outskirts of the city then you are stuck with an HOA. That, or you have enough money to buy a large track of land and build yourself. Unfortunately these are not realistic options for most people. Most people do not "choose" an HOA because they want a gated community where every house is the same shade of taupe. They are stuck with them because it is the only decent place available in the metro region. The fact that they're then under the reins of a private government that answers to no one is frankly disturbing.
Although there may be many HOA's the covenants usually vary, and thus the HOA can be "chosen". If you purchase a property in an HOA you sign a document that states you agree with and agree to abide by the HOA rules, and regulations. They are not a private government that answers to no one. They answer to all the members. any rule or regulation can be changed by a vote of the homeowners.
It is easy to sit and complain, but you have the ability to change what you don't like, all you have to do is follow the democratic process and do it!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

how would they like it if she deceided she didnt like the color of their front door and re painted it while they were gone????
Chances are she would be in violation of the HOA agreement, and would have to pay to have it repainted.

I guess I missed the part where a gun was held to her head to purchase the property.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Living in an HOA or not, is not a choice when many local governments for the last 10-20 years have not allowed non-HOA developments to be constructed. The government has purposely restricted the supply of non-HOA housing.

Remove the last two decades of government interfernce and I would agree with being in an HOA is a choice.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Living in an HOA or not, is not a choice when many local governments for the last 10-20 years have not allowed non-HOA developments to be constructed. The government has purposely restricted the supply of non-HOA housing.

Can you cite a source?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Although there may be many HOA's the covenants usually vary, and thus the HOA can be "chosen". If you purchase a property in an HOA you sign a document that states you agree with and agree to abide by the HOA rules, and regulations. They are not a private government that answers to no one. They answer to all the members. any rule or regulation can be changed by a vote of the homeowners.
It is easy to sit and complain, but you have the ability to change what you don't like, all you have to do is follow the democratic process and do it!
You're kidding right? Well in theory you are correct. But just like your government, where our vote does not count and the wealth and power always get their way, we the people will lose. I have never heard a story of an communist HOA that was not corrupt and who didn't bulliy their way around. Usually the commy HOA president and all their cronies don't follow the very rules they jamb down the residents throats. Sound familiar? Yup. I also described the police force in anytown USA.

The thing I love best is when you buy into these communist regime housing tracts, they force you to buy the communist HOA rule book, probably written by Satan himself. I have heard this book costing unsuspecting homebuyers from $400 to 800. Nice little surprise at closing huh?

Death to HOAs

For those who's usual and only argument in favor of commy HOAs is they prevent homeowners from letting their homes look like trash and the old junk cars in the front yard fantasy. All this HOA protection for several hundred dollars a month to more then a thousand a month. Now every city, town and municapality already employs zoning officers who's very job is to give warnings and tickets to violators who put junk cars out on the lawn nor keep up their property. The best part? This service is already covered in the property taxes you pay. So who needs a money grabbing power hungry commy to steal your money?

HOAs are communist organizations. A communist regime is defined as some power hungry person or organization making stupid rules that benefit no one except their own pocket at the expense of your freedom and liberty and their ever growing fat power hungry heads.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Can you cite a source?
As an example, the State of North Carolina requires all new developments to have stormwater management facilities, and requires that there be a homeowners association to own and maintain those facilities. While it doesn't mandate that the HOA have restrictive covenants, etc., the requirement for an HOA typically leads to more than just the bare minimum necessary for the stormwater mainteance.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM

Did you know that when you buy into a communist HOA regime, you hand over the right of property trustee to the communist association when you agree to the by-laws, This means you can not grow a flower on your lawn, hang a Santa Claus on your front door, paint the house a color of your choosing.....BECAUSE IT AIN'T YOUR CHOICE TO MAKE!!!!! In most cases you don't even get to go to court should a disagreement come up between you and the commy HOA. It says so right in the bylaws. Their rule is carved in stone. Does this sound like a democracy to anyone?

Like any corporate board, which have a fiduciary responsibility to make disclosures to shareholders, most commy HOA members keep secrets close to their corrupt heart. The HOA board is on a power trip and will tell you their meetings are confidential. What is said at regular meetings open to the residents are much different. Many times these public meetings are moved at the last second on purpose to limit public and homeowner input.

By law, a majority of the homeowners in an association have to approve any change in the bylaws. But many boards sidestep this by simply changing their house rules, which are just as binding as bylaws but can usually be rewritten without asking all the homeowners permission or vote. Even if you were to be given their rule book today, it's probably already out of date because the commy HOA board is constantly making changes to the rules at whim.

My favorite one of all time is the HOA Grass Police. Some clown walks the neighborhood with a ruler measuring the grass blades. If one is too long you get that all too familar pink letter on your front door. Before leaving for work, if you see a Dandelion that grew during the night, pull it or get that pink letter on the door. Or the person who walks across peoples lawns (not considered private property in HOA neighborhoods) with the milk crate in their hands so they can use it to look over everyones back yard fence to see if they are growing any illegal plants. Such as red roses or broccoli plants for example.

They sicken me. Perhaps these commies would prefer North Korea more then America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House