Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM

347 posts, read 1,281,648 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have hard water that created very thick layer on my dishwasher heating element. I flaked about 20% of it off but the remaining stuff is baked on hard. I'm not sure if it is calcium or lime or whatever.

Is there a way of getting this off so I don't have to purchase a new heating element?

thanks!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Dishwasher Magic Dishwasher Cleaner & Disinfectant - Best Price

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Thanks, but I already ran two bottles of that. It did work on cleaning, but it wasn't strong enough to clean the element.

The calcium/lime is rock hard and really baked on. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
You can put a cup of vinegar in with the load of dishes and it will eventually remove all of the lime deposits. It won't hurt most dishes but don't use anything like it with fine china. If your machine has the plastic coated wire racks, any compromise in the plastic is going to result in rust making the machine worthless for fine china so I'd inspect it fairly close before using anything in the machine to remove the deposits. You could use the vinegar with the racks removed if you like. We use it here at least once a month as we also have hard water. Vinegar also works great for keeping commodes flushing right. I put a cup in the tank water and let it sit overnight. I put about a quart down the overflow to get the deposits out of the flushing system as well and let that sit overnight. Keeps the deposits from building a ring around the water line. I usually buy the cheapest 9% vinegar at Walmart. It something like 2 bucks a gallon. Vinegar also makes the best window cleaner diluted in half.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You can put a cup of vinegar in with the load of dishes and it will eventually remove all of the lime deposits. It won't hurt most dishes but don't use anything like it with fine china. If your machine has the plastic coated wire racks, any compromise in the plastic is going to result in rust making the machine worthless for fine china so I'd inspect it fairly close before using anything in the machine to remove the deposits. You could use the vinegar with the racks removed if you like. We use it here at least once a month as we also have hard water. Vinegar also works great for keeping commodes flushing right. I put a cup in the tank water and let it sit overnight. I put about a quart down the overflow to get the deposits out of the flushing system as well and let that sit overnight. Keeps the deposits from building a ring around the water line. I usually buy the cheapest 9% vinegar at Walmart. It something like 2 bucks a gallon. Vinegar also makes the best window cleaner diluted in half.
Thanks. I'll try that. Do I use just vinegar? Or add the soap as well? i don't mind running an empty load if I have to.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
Hi all,

I have hard water that created very thick layer on my dishwasher heating element. I flaked about 20% of it off but the remaining stuff is baked on hard. I'm not sure if it is calcium or lime or whatever.

Is there a way of getting this off so I don't have to purchase a new heating element?

thanks!!!!!!!!
I had the same exact problem. I used Dishwasher Magic three times, and it did not help at all. I used vinegar several times. Finally I tried Lemmishine, and it worked! It removed the thick layer of baked on lime and crud the first time.

I purchased the LemmiShine at the grocery store, but it is also available at hardware stores. The grocery store employee told me that they can't keep it in stock, so many people use it.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:08 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
I have hard water that created very thick layer on my dishwasher heating element.
That's just what you can see.
There is a similar accumulation inside the pump and likely all your other plumbing too.
Are you doing anything about the root cause (bad water)?

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Best I've found is a product called CLR. Available at most hardware and large grocery stores.

CLR® Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover

Recognized for safer chemistry. Blasts calcium deposits from glassware, tile, tea and coffee pots. Dissolves lime scale from coffee pots, humidifiers, tubs, toilets and sinks. Zaps rust stains from stucco, brick, porcelain, chrome and metal. CLR is a powerful formula for dissolving tough calcium and lime deposits and surface rust stains from tubs, toilet bowls, sinks, glass, chrome, fiberglass and stainless steel. Septic safe.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I had the same exact problem. I used Dishwasher Magic three times, and it did not help at all. I used vinegar several times. Finally I tried Lemmishine, and it worked! It removed the thick layer of baked on lime and crud the first time.

I purchased the LemmiShine at the grocery store, but it is also available at hardware stores. The grocery store employee told me that they can't keep it in stock, so many people use it.
Thanks!! Which Lemishine product did you use? They have a few.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's just what you can see.
There is a similar accumulation inside the pump and likely all your other plumbing too.
Are you doing anything about the root cause (bad water)?
nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House