Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,719 times

Advertisements

i just moved into a new apartment and there is an issue with the toilet. ive plunged it but its not clogged. every time i go to flush it the bowl fills up with water but there is no suction force whatsoever pulling anything down the bottom. it just fills up with water and the water slowly receeds down the drain over the course of like 30 minutes. im not sure what causes the swirling downward suction in toilets but my toilet has no swirling or downward suction at all, what could this be!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:15 AM

347 posts, read 1,281,648 times
One of the benefits of living in an apartment is that you don't need to worry about it.

Call the landlord and have them fix it.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
There is no suction with a sewer system although the thought brings some interesting scenarios to mind if it did. Most likely it has a clog at the exit point of the commode or the vent stack maybe completely closed off. I'd suggest a plumber. If you have kids, I can't tell you how many toys I've taken out of commodes that the H/O said was a faulty unit. Kinda hard for a commode to be faulty. I've even seen where dogs love to put their toys in commodes so if you have either, keep the lid down.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Well for sure you have an obstruction in the system. Have you tried plunging real fast several times. If that doesn't work then you'll probably need a plumber. One with a line camera to see where the constriction is. If this is a newly constructed apt anything from the building process could have been dumped down there.
As said above did some child drop a toy in there.
Since it's a rental the landlord should take care of getting a plumber out to fix the problem. The cost may be charged to you if it is discovered you or your family dropped something into the toilet drain to cause the blockage. Or the landlord may suggest you call a plumber and credit your rent if it's not your fault.
Does your lease spell out any agreements about the plumbing responsibilities.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
The very first thing to do when looking to rent an APT is to check the water pressure at the Kitchen sink and to FLUSH the bathroom Toilet.......something many fail to do. Water pressure effects both places.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Have someone run a toilet snake through it. A very simple device and will assure that the problem is not caused by the water closet (toilet) itself.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1990 View Post
i just moved into a new apartment and there is an issue with the toilet.
When you run the shower or the sink do they drain? If they both drain fine, then there is either a clog in the toilet itself or the pipe its connected to. Either way, you need to contact the landlord/maintanence if its a rental or contact a plumber.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Best case, the snake clears the obstruction. Worst case, the toilet needs to be removed so you can clear the obstruction from the bottom or in the waste pipe and a new wax ring installed. We had the same problem. Found out one of the kids had flushed a rubber ball down the toilet.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
i just had someone fix it, i guess someone had flushed a dental floss container that was jamming it up

Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
One of the worst offenders I've come across are Q-tips... they tend to lodge sideways and make a toilet paper dam...

Good you had it addressed right away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House