Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

It takes time, but as some others have said, it's better done with the help of someone who knows how. I use a 12-16" knife and finish mud (easier to sand), one wall at a time.

a. Place a drop cloth tight against the baseboard or wall.

b. Cover at least the top edge of the baseboard with 2" painter's tape (blue color), but don't fold the tape, just press the edge firmly against the top edge of the baseboard, and close to the wall.

c. Wearing latex or Nitrile gloves, patch all the nail or pin holes on the wall using your fingers, and rubbing the excess of mud off.

d. Once you have corrected problems with the wall, sand the entire wall with a pole sander (wear a dust mask).

e. At this point the wall is ready for skimming with mud. Mix the mud accordingly, and start skimming-over with the knife, just enough to cover the texture's depressions or holes. If done properly, there will hardly be any ridges left behind. To avoid getting ridges, I overlap the skimmed area by perhaps 2" with one end of the knife, and at the same time put more pressure on that end of the knife than the other end of it. When I move the knife on the wall, it's angled like a grader's blade, so that there is no ridge at the leading end of the knife, and also so that the mud moves under the blade from the leading end, to the other side of the knife.

The step above is difficult to understand unless you are familiar with the process. Also, more than likely the wall will need between 2 and 4 very thin layers of mud to fill the holes and cover the bumps of the texture. Then you will probably have to do some light sanding.

f. Before sanding, check the wall as follows to look for imperfections: place a floodlight near the end of the wall and next to it, pointed so that it illuminates the wall toward the far end. Keep on moving the floodlight as needed. If done properly, you should be able to tell how good a job you have done (you will see rifles, bumps, scratches, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:38 PM

139 posts, read 408,994 times
maybe I did not explain myself clearly in my FIRST post so let me try this again.

I have textured walls what is the best method to make them flat ---- Skimmed or to have new walls put up and which method is less expensive? I am not doing this myself I am having a professional do this. Thanks

Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Karson View Post
maybe I did not explain myself clearly in my FIRST post so let me try this again.

I have textured walls what is the best method to make them flat ---- Skimmed or to have new walls put up and which method is less expensive? I am not doing this myself I am having a professional do this. Thanks
Then ask the pro what is cheaper: Removing and replacing the sheetrock, or skimming with mud. I assure you that the answer will be the latter.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Maybe you didn't understand my previous post.
Everyone so far has assumed that the texture you have is joint compound. But, since you haven't defined its hard to say what would be the best way to get flat walls.
It could be plaster, troweled, sand, yada, yada, yada. For that matter it could be concrete.

A picture would probably have helped along with a description of the house-
But since you are having this professionally done, I'll go with Ray on this one- just ask the contractor who's going to be doing the work.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM

139 posts, read 408,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe you didn't understand my previous post.
Everyone so far has assumed that the texture you have is joint compound. But, since you haven't defined its hard to say what would be the best way to get flat walls.
It could be plaster, troweled, sand, yada, yada, yada. For that matter it could be concrete.

But since you are having this professionally done, I'll go with Ray on this one- just ask the contractor who's going to be doing the work.

SOrry about that.......... its just one of those things that is hard to explain and a photo does not show it since its white walls.

Its not sand. i can tell you that much .

Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Most textures have names.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Agreed!

Without knowing what you have, we can't say what's cheaper to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House