Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

My 30-year-old house has an attic full of blown-in cellulose. Eh. It seems to be okay, it has packed down some especially around the access area and the other things I worked on (mainly the bathroom fan). It is messy, every time you open you have crap falling down, yes. I've been in the house over 9 years and that doesn't ever stop. So in that way it does make it a bit of a pain to work up there, although I don't really need to work up there too often.

The heat bill for gas always seems good (helped along by low ceilings). In the summer the place gets really hot running up $150/mo electric bills at times and I don't know how much that would be helped with more insulation up there. A lot of that I think is all-day south exposure including a 6ft sliding glass door in the main living area and another window in the rear bedroom. Although, I guess thinking about it again, latest electric bill was about $65 in winter (the stove and dryer are electric, only the water heater and furnace are gas). So, that would be $85 for peak A/C. That's about the same as peak heat usually, maybe a little bit more than the heat. So maybe that's not really so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It depends o where you live. Its not has good in a most outside cold climat and wram inside most of teh year. that is because you can habve mositure problems. I a hot climate where attic gets hot ;the mositure is not a problem. just as vapor barrier differs depednig on climate as to side its placed on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House