Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 09:37 PM

28 posts, read 109,203 times

Advertisements

It was about 20 minutes ago.... my wife and I heard a huge BANG sound. We thought it was a chunk of ice (ice damming) falling off of the house and hitting another roof section. After some investigation I believe it was a small explosion. Now I smell burning hair in the basement. We have a gas boiler (water system), water heater, and clothes dryer in the basement. The boiler has cycled a couple times now and seems to be working just as it should. The dryer wasn't being used and the smell isn't coming from that side of the basement. The water heater is right next to the boiler and I don't believe it cycled any time recently. I'm wondering if something got in the chimney, like a squirrel or something, since it's only about 8 degrees(F) outside and caused a exhaust gas build up and subsequent explosion. The only other thing I can think is I have 2 great danes and there was a build up of dog hair and dust in the boiler that went up when the boiler ignited. Any thoughts? I'm a little nervous about if this was a one time thing or should I be worried about something worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
What you should do, is get yourselves and your pets out of the house, and call the fire department to check it out.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM

281 posts, read 712,809 times
Solid advice, have the fam stay somewhere warm while the FD checks your house. There could be a fire somewhere in your home.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I think it's pretty much a mute point- OP posted almost an hour ago; and decided that posting a ridiculous question on an open forum was more important than calling the FD.
I have no advice for the OP (obviously), as for the previous posters, well...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Lol.

Hope it works out for you. If I hear an 'explosion' I'm out the door, whether by my own two feet or propelled by force.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,213,922 times
for future reference if the OP doesn't come back:

I had a really loud explosion in my basement about 10 years ago. It shook the house and literally made the cats jump into the air. I did call the fire department and they found the furnace malfunctioning because of dust in the room that had caught on fire and exploded from gas fumes. It was really frightening. But no harm. They said something about gas fumes building up to a certain point and then exploding if there is too much lint in the air. We had the dryer vent loosen up a little and I guess it allowed lint to be in the air. Couldn't see it, very small lint like dust. We had the furnace under warranty care and they took care of it the same day. Here is some reference
https://www.google.com/search?q=loud...iw=829&bih=515

The second loud banging it might be if you are in below zero weather is wood frame expanding and contracting. It sounds just like a loud explosion or sometimes a very loud knock. It too can shake the house. It can go on sporadically for hours. Usually no damage results. You can see other stories about that here
https://www.google.com/search?q=loud...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I hope we hear what the OP found out.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM

281 posts, read 712,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I think it's pretty much a mute point- OP posted almost an hour ago; and decided that posting a ridiculous question on an open forum was more important than calling the FD.
I have no advice for the OP (obviously), as for the previous posters, well...

It's not a mute point if the op is asking a forum instead of a fire department. Fires aren't always immediately obvious and it would be unconscionable to make assumptions when a safety is a factor.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
I guess it's a MUTE point since the OP is silent. Also perhaps a moot point.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I guess it's a MUTE point since the OP is silent. Also perhaps a moot point.

and...
What kind of person, when they think there is an explosion in their house, turns to a message board instead of 911 ???

Old 02-04-2013, 07:13 AM

8 posts, read 35,791 times
advise to all...always have and maintain both a smoke alarm and co detector.
whenever in doubt always call the fire department.
they had additional meters and training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House