Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 PM

188 posts, read 974,444 times

Advertisements

I would like to have my front yard fenced in..where is my water line at? My water tap ( water meter) is at the back corner of my house.. but the water company ( small utility company) has told the fencing company that they did not map the water lines out..so they do not know exactly where they are. What should I do? If the fencing company hits the water line ..then who is responsible? Me? The utility company? The fencing company says they are responsible for contacting all appropriate utility companies..but they are not responsible for the utility companies marking the lines correctly.... I had 2 estimates and both told me " Good Luck on finding out where your water lines are"...Is there any way that I can find this info out on my own?? .....Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question..just wasn't sure where exactly to post it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You will be responsible for damage done to water lines on your own property. Keep in mind, the reason you water company doesn't know where your water lines run on your property is because a private contractor did the plumbing from the street to your house. You own those lines, not the utility company. The utility company protects its own water lines. The utility company would only be responsible for lines on your property if the water company was doing the digging on your property. The fence contractor won't be responsible---that's why your quotes say "good luck finding your water lines."

Are you running your fence right along your property line? If so, you should only need to know where your water line enters your property to avoid hitting it. All water companies know where the line enters your property at the street. That's where they shut off the water if you don't pay your bill. In my area, the ball valve is in a small access hole with a steel cap at the property line near the street. Your water line will run from the ball valve at the street to the meter at your house. If you don't know where your ball valve is located at your property line, your water utility will come out and mark it at the street for you.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,082 times
Geez, spend a few bucks and call Miss Utility to locate the line, unless its plastic, then rotsa ruck.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:40 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
Geez, spend a few bucks and call Miss Utility to locate the line, unless its plastic, then rotsa ruck.
That's the problem, Miss Utility won't be effective since the line wasn't mapped. They usually only do utilities in public access areas or in easements.

OP, in GENERAL PRACTICE, the line would have been run in a direct line from the meter to the house so it LIKELY is in your back yard. Wait, I just reread your post, where is the main line? If it's in the front your service lateral LIKELY runs in a straight line to the meter through the front yard, if in back same thing through the back yard. You may have to do some gentle probing and digging on your own.

I can't believe the fencing companies you have contacted can't or won't do utility locating for you, they usually have knowledge, background and equipment to do so.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
Time to get out the shovel. I know where my water line is because I'm the one who dug the trench.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
There are different types of gizmos that can can be used to locate underground PVC or metal pipes. You might be able to get one at your local tool rental place, or hire a local plumber who has this service. Google "underground pipe locator".

Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I can't believe the fencing companies you have contacted can't or won't do utility locating for you, they usually have knowledge, background and equipment to do so.
It would become the fence company's liability if it took responsibility in locating the utility.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The easiest way to find it is called potholing. Dig a transh perpindicular to the waterline. Do nto dig anywhere hear the depth ogf the line. Carefully dig holes with a shovel until you find the line.Dis around it a bit to get the alignment. Do this in three or four locations and then conenct the dots. You shole be able to figure out the depth based on where the water line enters your basement, or by code reqruiements. Assume your connec teh dots line is off by at elast a foot on each side and make the area maybe 2 feet wide. If you end up putting a fence post near wher ethe water line is likely to be, pothole to find the water line.

I do not know the code requriements, but I do know our waterline is at elast 4 feet underground. How deep will your fence posts go?

If you are really wealthy, you cna have it located using ground penetrating radar, MSW or something. However potholing is the most commonly used method for a reason (it is the least expensive).

Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM

OMGoodness! Make sure you know where your gas line is before you take the advice to start digging around for your water line. I know someone who blew up via digging and hitting a gas line.

It might not even be necessary for the OP to locate the exact location of the water line. The OP is putting fence in his front yard. The water company will know where the access point to the property from the main line is located. A fence section is 6' long between posts. The OP can easily avoid hitting the water line if he is installing the fence near the property line where the access point is located. The access point is one place the OP can know for certain his waterline is located. If the water line is accessed via the backyard, the location is totally irrelevant since the OP is installing a fence in the front yard.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:18 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default Every see those color lines sprayed in the street, grass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
I would like to have my front yard fenced in..where is my water line at? My water tap ( water meter) is at the back corner of my house.. but the water company ( small utility company) has told the fencing company that they did not map the water lines out..so they do not know exactly where they are. What should I do? If the fencing company hits the water line ..then who is responsible? Me? The utility company? The fencing company says they are responsible for contacting all appropriate utility companies..but they are not responsible for the utility companies marking the lines correctly.... I had 2 estimates and both told me " Good Luck on finding out where your water lines are"...Is there any way that I can find this info out on my own?? .....Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this question..just wasn't sure where exactly to post it..
If its in the ground there are survey companies that can detect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House