Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times

Advertisements

I have a Maytag gas-based dryer (Model # PYG2000AWW) from about 10-12 years ago that started getting much louder a few months ago. Then I started noticing that it needed 2 or 3 cycles just to dry a normal load of clothes. Now, the clothes will barely get even lukewarm despite 5+ cycles.

I'd rather not spend $600+ to replace the dryer if it means cheaply fixing it. Also, I am not sure if the excessively noisy tumbling is related to the heating process (or lack thereof).

I am a complete newbie at appliance repair, but I am willing to fiddle around with the D-I-Y route, and/or possibly professional repair (as long as the repair doesn't cost as much as replacing the unit). Research online is sporadic; some say it might gas coils valves, some say it is the igniter, some say it is as basic as cleaning the ducts. Many others online say fixing a dryer is not too difficult.

For everyone's reference, I took a very quick video of the noise this morning. Apologies in advance that the video is pretty dark (my basement is barely finished so lighting is limited). However, the : http://youtu.be/C9jlR0F7Ro8

1. Would you guys be able to tell me roughly what you think is wrong with the dryer? If I can at least have an idea as to what may be wrong, I can diagnose next action steps.

2. If possible, do you think it is an easy fix? Again, I am hoping to save money (especially if this is a quick and easy fix).

3. Do you think there are any safety issues with the dryer? Besides the video, I attached a photo of the dryer. The back grill (in the middle of the picture) seems a little darkened/burnt. I'm not sure what that means, though, if anything.

Any help or advice you guys can provide would be most appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Dryer not heating up - is it worth repairing? Possible DIY-dryer-issues.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:47 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I don't have any experience with a gas dryer, but the first thing I would do is clean out all the lint from the vents and pipe. Poor airflow could be causing the slow drying times. There may be a way to access to the back where could vacuum out all the lint. Do a search on cleaning a gas dryer.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
clothesline.

cant beat free drying

Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
First thing to determine is if the burner is coming on. Turn on the dryer and waits for a minute or so, you should be able to hear it come on, and the inside with get warm right away if you open the door.

Of course make sure the vent is clear and moving air too.

If the vent is moving air OK, but the burner is not coming on, it is usually the ignitor. A fairly inexpensive part and a fairly easy fix if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. You can probably Google a repair process for your dryer.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
First thing to determine is if the burner is coming on. Turn on the dryer and waits for a minute or so, you should be able to hear it come on, and the inside with get warm right away if you open the door.

Of course make sure the vent is clear and moving air too.

If the vent is moving air OK, but the burner is not coming on, it is usually the ignitor. A fairly inexpensive part and a fairly easy fix if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. You can probably Google a repair process for your dryer.
Would the ignitor be the culprit if the clothes get slightly warm? In other words, wouldn't it NOT get slightly warm if the ignitor wasn't igniting?

Also, do you think the loud tumbling noise is related to the heating? Or is the loud tumbling noise more indicative of a drum (or other part) that is wearing out?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I don't have any experience with a gas dryer, but the first thing I would do is clean out all the lint from the vents and pipe. Poor airflow could be causing the slow drying times. There may be a way to access to the back where could vacuum out all the lint. Do a search on cleaning a gas dryer.
Be sure to check the outside (outdoors) vent, too - make sure it's not clogged or blocked in some way.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Check the vent FIRST!! Make sure it is flowing freely.
You need to make sure the burner is coming on. Usually you can hear it come on, and you can sometimes see it if you lie on the floor and look at the bottom.
The loud noise you hear might be the belt that turns the drum wearing out. Are you sure the drum is turning OK?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I cannot tell you what is wrong with it, but for about $75. you can get a service call. The guy will tell you how much to fix it and you can go from there. I can tell you that my dryer (electric) is at least 20 years old, and every time it breaks we think it's the last roundup, but for the price of a fuse or the tightening of a wire it is renewed yet again.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are two kinds of igniters. The type that's an electric coil is simple to replace and they do burn out, just like an old incandescent light bulb, the filament breaks. The other type is an electric spark, like a car spark plug. You can tell these by the clicking soon after you turn it on. From the heating and cooling over time they can lose the optimum gap distance and fail to spark, but they too are pretty easy to fix. Harder, more dangerous and expensive is the actual gas valve. If it goes you are better off having a technician do the service because you are subject to gas leaks if not done correctly. If the dryer is older than 8-10 years I'd just get a new one. It's bound to have something else go like the drive belt or motor soon anyway.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 AM

Thank you Barking Spider for the igniter suggestion. The dryer is a hand-me-down from my parents, and after inquiring about it with them last night, they mentioned that the igniter broke about 6-7 years ago.

It wouldn't shock me if it's the igniter ($30 part) again. I could vaguely smell the gas after initiating a cycle for a minute but heat wasn't being generated (akin to the scent when you try to unsuccessfully light the flame with your gas stovetop).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House