Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM

264 posts, read 605,866 times

Advertisements

We have two bedrooms that happen to be above the garage (not insulated). Hardwood floors and they are noticeably colder compared to other rooms in the winter. Any recommendations on how to solve this effectively? Tried a thick rug and room heater but its not comfy enough, and we practically leave these rooms unused, which is a pity. So do we have to do some structural changes and if so what kind? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
amazin,
Do not put your car in the garage til you have that corrected.
If you start your car in the garage, the Carbon monoxide will go to the upstairs
bedrooms.
Personally, I would call a contractor and see what he suggests.
Spray foam insulation is fantastic for your problem.
You could call a spray foam company too, see how much it will cost you.
But til you remedy the situation, do not put your car in the garage.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Wall to wall carpeting won't solve the problem. I've been in a bedroom above a garage with wall to wall and it was cold.

You'll have to insulate the room, not just spray insulation in the walls, but you'll need to insulate the ceiling of the garage since it's an unheated space below the rooms. If the roof isn't insulated, that will need to be insulated too.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You could enclose and insulate your garage and make it into a room. Put a pool table in it.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wall to wall carpeting won't solve the problem. I've been in a bedroom above a garage with wall to wall and it was cold.
That's how my masterbed room is and it loses heat most quickly in the whole house. Since the rest of the house has good insulation in the walls and attic, I'm betting that this room does too. So, the culpit is definitely draft from the floor of the bedroom / top of the garage. Also, the floor in this room feels cold around the front of the room which is above the garage door area.

I think the solution is many times more costly than heating the room at night (I only go in to sleep). It probably involves taking down the drywalled ceiling of the garage, remove whatever insulation there is and add closed-cell spray foam, then re-drywall the ceiling to finish it off.

As for putting the car in the garage, I keep in mind about fumes and CO getting into the living areas, so I don't let the car idle in the garage. I turn off the car as soon as I pull in, and when pulling out, I start up the car and immediately back out then idle for seconds in the driveway (instead of inside the garage). I'd leave the garage door open for a min or so before closing up to vacate the fumes.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
amazin,

Great gravy, many people have living spaces over garages, and they have ZERO issues with it. Nothing wrong with that set-up.

Just for fun...
Correct it how?
How would you 'correct' an integral garage?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
My bedroom is over an open porch, so I feel your pain. Thick carpeting helps, but the floor in that part of the room is still icy on very cold days.

Insulating the garage's walls and ceiling is probably the only thing that will make the room above less cold.

If your garage ceiling and walls are not finished, this job will be that much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
amazin,
If you start your car in the garage, the Carbon monoxide will go to the upstairs
bedrooms.
Two separate issues, not necessarily related.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Saw an episode on Mike Holmes where a family had the same issue. The Mike Holmes team took down the ceiling drywall in the garage and sprayed insulation foam.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I can't imagine the garage walls and ceiling are not finished with 1/2" or 5/8" Type X Gyp. Bd., that would be huge code violation in just about anywhere, and then if they are finished it should also (by code) have insulation installed if it is a non-conditioned space adjoining a conditioned one. Sounds like you are having some infiltration or insulation failure somewhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I can't imagine the garage walls and ceiling are not finished with 1/2" or 5/8" Type X Gyp. Bd., that would be huge code violation in just about anywhere
That would depend on the age of the house, and the location of the house, no?

Both my mother's garage (Pennsylvania, 1955) and my sister's garage (Michigan, 1960) are attached to the house, but there is no board covering the studs on the walls or ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House