Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 11:13 PM

113 posts, read 175,030 times

Advertisements

Hello I need help understanding below from Design guidlines rules.

"Dimensions:
The top of the patio cover at its lowest point shall not be higher than nine (9) feet from ground level (typical first floor plate height). The patio cover roof shall provide an attractive slope away from the house, at an angle that does not exceed that of the roof of the residence. No patio cover shall protrude from the sides of the residence"

i am in cinco southwest and looking at building a patio cover 12(W)X20(L). I am not understanding the language regarding "slope away from house" and angle not exeed that of the roof residence. if anyone cold help me understand this would be great.

-Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:17 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I think it means this: the slope of the patio's roof can't be greater than the slope of your house's roof. So the patio's roof can't be steeper than your house's roof. (I imagine that would only be a problem if your house has a flat roof as ANYTHING would be steeper than that and therefore wouldn't be allowed.)

Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
I concur^^^^

Old 03-18-2013, 08:27 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
As I read it:

"Dimensions:
The top of the patio cover at its lowest point shall not be higher than nine (9) feet from ground level (typical first floor plate height).

I believe this is preventing very tall patio covers as at its lowest point it cannot be more then 9 feet high.

The patio cover roof shall provide an attractive slope away from the house, at an angle that does not exceed that of the roof of the residence.

Based on this, I assume the roof line runs (slants) toward the back of the house as in it does not peak at that side.

The patio cover must slope away from the house and that angle cannot be more then the roof angle (slant).

Typically a patio cover will start at or a bit under the roof edge against the back edge of the house and run away from the house at a downward angle (water runoff). Also the lowest edge (the one away from the house) cannot be more then 9 feet off the ground as in the above.

Measure to the roof overhang at the back of the house and this is probably as high as patio cover can go on the house side and it can go as high as 9 feet on the other edge but there still must be an angle away from the house.

No patio cover shall protrude from the sides of the residence"

Easy enough. The patio cover cannot stick out beyond the side edge of the house.

I had an 8x16 feet screen porch added to my home. It is pre-fabricated much like a patio cover might be but it is screened in. The house side support/brace fitted under the roof edge, along the facia. Thus the roof/patio top at the house side is about 9.5 feet off the ground. The roof top at the other side is about 8.5 feet off the ground. The porch roof angle/pitch/slant away from the house is much less then the house roof angle/pitch/slant but it is an attractive slope (your words above....LOL) away from the house.

Basically I do not see what you qouted above as very restrictive.

Look at www.sunporch.com or www.patiocoversunlimited.com

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House