Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our plan had a tunnel connecting form the basement to the carriage house/garage. The elevator went from the basement to the scullery off the kitchen kitchen to the master bedroom closet. I woudl have been really neat, but when the price quotes for the addition came in at $1 million, we had to cut cut cut. No tunnel, no elevator, no balcony, no giant master bedroom.
I think you cut your budget wisely. If you're going to have an elevator, it would be best to have it in a common area in case a family member became disabled, not the master closet and not the skully with the narrow hidden door which would make it difficult to get a wheelchair into. I know people who have tunnels from their house to the garages. They never use them because it's faster just to walk across the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you cut your budget wisely. If you're going to have an elevator, it would be best to have it in a common area in case a family member became disabled, not the master closet and not the skully with the narrow hidden door which would make it difficult to get a wheelchair into. I know people who have tunnels from their house to the garages. They never use them because it's faster just to walk across the yard.
In that design, the scullery was very large. We wanted to hide the elevator since is it inconsistent with the historic house. We figured the most likely person to need the elevator was us and the most likely rooms we would use are the bedroom and kitchen. Plus those were in an addition so we did not have to modify the existing historic house.

You are probably right about the tunnel. We do not even use the carriage house to park cars in unless I am working on the car. We just park outside and walk in. A tunnel to the basement would be a PIA. Expensive too.

We designed our dream master suite and kitchen and put in everything we thought we could ever want. Then when we got quotes, we cut form $1 million plus to about $125,000

Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
We designed our dream master suite and kitchen and put in everything we thought we could ever want. Then when we got quotes, we cut form $1 million plus to about $125,000
That was one heck of a dream for two rooms, but I'll bet you had fun planning it!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am curious, what kinds of safety features do they have these days in case you get stuck? Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there was a story a few years ago about an elderly couple that got stuck in theirs ... they both died. I can't remember if the power went out when they were in it, or what. It was just so sad.

Yes, that happened here in GA.
There never was a public statement as to what caused the failure- but there were no reported power outages in the area preceeding the day they were discovered.

Home elevator becomes death trap for elderly Georgia couple stuck inside | Fox News

My guess would be mechanical failure. And although the elevator had a phone jack- there was no phone. And private elevators are not under the authority of state regulations- their operating condition is solely the responsibility of the H/O.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,730,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Yes, that happened here in GA.
There never was a public statement as to what caused the failure- but there were no reported power outages in the area preceeding the day they were discovered.

Home elevator becomes death trap for elderly Georgia couple stuck inside | Fox News

My guess would be mechanical failure. And although the elevator had a phone jack- there was no phone. And private elevators are not under the authority of state regulations- their operating condition is solely the responsibility of the H/O.
Always, always, always need a phone in there.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That was one heck of a dream for two rooms, but I'll bet you had fun planning it!
It was a big kitchen, scullery, pantry, sunroom mudroom and bathroom downstairs and a giant MBR upstairs. The MBR had a fireplace, a balcony over the pool, a huge walk in closet, a bathroom with dual showers, the hallway connecting to the old part of the house was cantilevered over a new back porch downstairs. 10' cielings, 2x6 lumber, Certainteed Grand Manor shangles for the roof, I think we had a jaccuzzi tub too (that was before we accepted that you never actually use them). Secret doors all over the place, then there was the tunnel to the carriage house, the elevator, finshed basement underneath, a nice nook with a bay window in the kitchen, there was a sprial staircase somewhere, not becuse we needed one, but because I always wanted one. The whole thing was wheel chair accessible for when we get old - oh and the finishes were all salvage materials (we stuck with that). . . . . yes it was 'throw in anything you can imagine wanting" We made a tremendous amount of money selling our house in California so it was no holds barred - or so we thought. It was fun designing it, but sad cutting everything as we learned how much it would cost and how much the work on the main house would cost. I was giddy when I got the plans back from the architect. Until I got prices.

The one thing I most wish we would have kept is all the secret doors/passageways. We did keep one of them, and it is the coolest thing ever.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:52 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,752 times
Quote:
It was a big kitchen, scullery, pantry, sunroom mudroom and bathroom downstairs and a giant MBR upstairs. The MBR had a fireplace, a balcony over the pool, a huge walk in closet, a bathroom with dual showers, the hallway connecting to the old part of the house was cantilevered over a new back porch downstairs. 10' cielings, 2x6 lumber, Certainteed Grand Manor shangles for the roof, I think we had a jaccuzzi tub too (that was before we accepted that you never actually use them). Secret doors all over the place, then there was the tunnel to the carriage house, the elevator, finshed basement underneath, a nice nook with a bay window in the kitchen, there was a sprial staircase somewhere, not becuse we needed one, but because I always wanted one. The whole thing was wheel chair accessible for when we get old - oh and the finishes were all salvage materials (we stuck with that). . . . . yes it was 'throw in anything you can imagine wanting" We made a tremendous amount of money selling our house in California so it was no holds barred - or so we thought. It was fun designing it, but sad cutting everything as we learned how much it would cost and how much the work on the main house would cost. I was giddy when I got the plans back from the architect. Until I got prices.

The one thing I most wish we would have kept is all the secret doors/passageways. We did keep one of them, and it is the coolest thing ever.
Been there, done, that.... (no elevator there, as the cost due to legal requirements/inspections and annual review put it in the $140K range). Did 99% of the work my self, so it cost pennies on the dollar for everything else. (For example, a 7.1 audio faceplate was something like $60 retail, and I could make it myself for about $3). I agree with the Jacuzzi usage... have 4 of them, and used them a blazing once the entire time I lived there full time (now I visit once a year or so, just to get back in the states). Only had one secret door, and it sort of weirded me out, as got me into a 'safe' or 'panic' room that I designed, and it was a little creepy. All the walls/ceiling/floor (though finished) were cement, with an air feed, running water, waste receptacles etc. Won't do that again. Spiral staircase -- insurance company was not too thrilled about that, but they do make floor-floor access easy in a small space (one of my neighbors had a real fire pole for coming down, and the kids loved it, but the building inspector had a field day with figuring out the rules to have one...) Did the butler's pantry and scullery... great for entertaining, with a separate entrance.

I see how it is easy to go overboard, but if you are willing to do much of if DIY, it is really inexpensive. For example (and you do this out a labor of love), a real tin ceiling (with fillers, moldings, cornices and medallions) can be a DIY project, though I would guess most people would swear to never do it again after once doing it ;-)
Hardwood flooring is the same thing.... for a DIY'er, $2/ft for Oak S&B Bruce is about right.

I enjoy a big kitchen (about 1.3K ft^2), but the MBR is definitely more important to me (about 1K ft^2), as it gives you a sitting area, fireplace and massive closets. (I know, sounds weird for a single guy with just a 5lb dog).

To summarize (and totally be off-topic of residential elevators), DIY'ing much of the work on what you planned can be reasonable, if you are handy.... need to invest in a few $K of tools, and the return-on-investment, even for someone in a professional occupation, is staggering. Plus, you can guarantee it is done correctly.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM

I was going to do some of it myself. Even the elevator. The pneumatic ones are pretty easy to instal.

Guaranteeing it is done correctly is the primary reason I did a lot of the work myself (particularly the electrical in the old part of the house). It saves some money, but by the time you factor in tools, rented equipment, re-doing mistakes, and you time, it is not that great a savings. The other advantage of DIY is if you need something done right now, you can do it and ou do not have to wait 3 weeks for a professional to become available.

However tin ceiling - been there done that. Hired it out for the current house. Will not DIY again in all likelihood. Refisinihing floors I will not DIY either. 2 days in bed and three weeks of barely being able to walk is enough to make it worthwhile to pay for.

I like rough carpentry and wiring. Finsh carpentry is ok, but it gets aggravating because I make a lot of mistakes. Other things I will do, but theya re a chore and certina things I simply will not do:

Sweating copper pipe;
Hanging doors that are not pre-hung;
Refinishing wood floors;
Wallpaper;
masonry (I might do it once I get some practice);
finishing concrete (hire a couple of high school kids, tell them what to do, save your back);
yard drainage (do not have the eye for it);
Exterior painting (not interested in spending weeks on a ladder);
Roofing (both lack of knowlege and it wipes out your back);
HVAC (I know too little about it);
Maybe some other things.

That seems like a long list, but there are an amazing number of trades involved in a house. Few people realize how many because virtually every level of contractor or subcontractors will sub some part of their work out and so on.

For example plumbing alone there are people who put int he water main and sewer lateral or tie in, others who put in the pipes, certain people do copper, others do PEX, different people put in cast iron waste lines (PVC - anyone can do as long as you understand venting), installing sinks, toilets, tubs, showers and appliances brings in anywhere from 0-3 additional people; yet another skill set is needed for putting vents through the roof and flashing them properly, plumbing often involves some wiring, drywall or plaster work, a bit of carpentry, painting, tile work. . . . any of these can be subbed out.

I think we had 75 different contractors and subcontractors and sub sub contractors working on our house.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:28 PM

Location: 216, B, II Floor,Devika Tower, 6, Nehru Place New Delhi-110019 (India)
2 posts, read 2,881 times
Default Goods Elevators

You are right that installation and accommodation of elevator is very costly.But by choose a good elevator you can save this because many companies are providing free installation and accommodation of elevator.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:07 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
In 2009 or so there were some 3 story, new construction townhomes for sale in the $250K range in the Charleston SC area. They had an optional elevator for about $10-12K. Remember, the plans for the homes made allowances for the elevator. I remember one lost some closet space, hall space, etc. if one went with the elevator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House