Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 74,863 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a 2 bedroom house that has a utility room attached to it with washer and dryer hook-up inside. To do laundry I have to walk around to the side of my house. I keep a lock on the door to the utility room because my washer and dryer is in there. This utility room is completely attached to my house, there's no separation, the window in the utility room is the same window in my bathroom. I've been living in this place for 6 months, doing my laundry with no problems. Last week I came home and the latch on the door to the utility room had been broken off and my extension cords were taken. My neighbors informed me that the landlord did this. The next day I contact the rental office to ask why did they break into the utility room and take my extension cords. The woman (who is the wife of the owner) told me that this room is not included in my lease agreement and that they were told that the neighbors were using the extension cords. She said that they do not have a problem with me using the utility room as long as a key is provided. I asked her why hadn't this been mentioned to me before, if I'd known that the washer & dryer hook-up attached to my house wasn't there for my use, I would have offered to pay a fee to use it and provided a key. No response. I leave messages asking for the return of my extension cords and for the door to the utility room to be repaired. I tell them that I have no problem providing them with a key, but they won't answer the phone and I haven't received a call back or response to my messages. Meanwhile, the lock is still broken, my extension cords are still missing and I am being inconvenienced because of this. Rent is due tomorrow and I am seriously contemplating purchasing new extension cords and reducing the rent payment by the amount I paid for them. I pay my rent on time, in full, every month. I haven't had any issues until now. Although this is not that big of a deal (yet) for me to start talking about getting lawyers involved, I would like to know what any other logical person would do in this situation. It's been 5 days. Am I being impatient? Am I even allowed to reduce my rent payment for something that is the landlord's fault?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Write a letter.

Tell the landlord you will file a police report for theft if the extension cords are not returned.

Ask her if she wants you to have the door repaired and lock replaced and deduct it from the rent. Give her 10 days to reply.

Send the letter certified mail return receipt requested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House