Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times

Advertisements

I had a contractor replace some siding and rotted deck boards, among other things. I need advice about what was done:

1) when replacing siding (Hardieplank), is it appropriate to cut of the top part of the siding board lengthwise to make it fit where the original board was exposed? Or should the piece of siding be slid all the way underneath the piece above it? He cut off the tops and I have found half pieces (cut lengthwise) in the yard;

2) should there be big gaps, when looking from below, between the top of the new piece and the existing piece above it? (I have big gaps.)

3) My deck has a vertical sort of bench around the edges. Rotted boards on the floor were replaced, but not slid under the existing vertical structures, so there are big gaps. The contractor said he would have to rip out the vertical boards in order to do it any differently. This looks awful and sounds wrong to me.

4) the deck boards have cracks in them, not huge as in wide, but longish cracks nonetheless, perhaps from being hammered. Is this normal when replacing deck boards?

I have terminated this contractor for a variety of reasons which I'm not including here, but which make me suspicious of all of his workmanship. I'm looking for a sanity check here, since I am pretty ticked off about the crummy work he did of which I am sure about.

TIA for thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I'm not going to go into a long dissertation about how the work should have been done- I don't think it's relevant to the post- other than to say it was not done correctly. However, I only know your side of the story, and there's no evidence other than your word.

So, I think you did the right thing to cut him loose before anything substantial happens- except for possibly the deck.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'm not going to go into a long dissertation about how the work should have been done- I don't think it's relevant to the post- other than to say it was not done correctly. However, I only know your side of the story, and there's no evidence other than your word.

So, I think you did the right thing to cut him loose before anything substantial happens- except for possibly the deck.
Thanks, K'ledgeBldr. I'm not sure what you mean by the "possibly the deck" statement, but I appreciate your response!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Without seeing photos or being there its impossible to tell.
However, it does not sound correct at all. You are better off with this guy off the job.
The only reason that someone would cut the siding down is if it was much wider than the original. My guess is it wasn't and this guy didn't know how to, or didn't want to do the required work to do it right.
You can go to Hardiplank web site and see the correct way to install thier siding.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:13 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Thanks, K'ledgeBldr. I'm not sure what you mean by the "possibly the deck" statement, but I appreciate your response!

"My deck has a vertical sort of bench around the edges. Rotted boards on the floor were replaced, but not slid under the existing vertical structures..."

This is what I was referring too. Kindda makes you wonder what's holding up the bench; or attaching it to the deck(?)
...I wouldn't sit on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House