Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,830,339 times

Advertisements

So, on Thursday we got a crazy amount of rain in this neck of the woods in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, the excess water caused the sewer lines to back up into the houses in my neighborhood (according to the neighbors, the same thing happened 12 years ago- so thankfully it's not a really frequent occurrence!).

We've had the Water Mitigation and Restoration team out and they have been busy chipping away the drywall and removing the carpet down in our basement. When they removed the carpet- we saw that there were bright blue and yellow asbestos tiles underneath for the length of the 'party area' complete with tiled-in shuffle boards at either end. It actually looks WAY better with the retro bar and decor down there, than the carpet ever did.

Anyway, my husband does not want to cover up the tile work again. We understand the dangers of asbestos but aren't paranoid by the sound of the word- we realize that it's only hazardous if it breaks up.

However, my husband was wondering if there is some kind of clear apoxy or glaze that we can paint over the asbestos tiles to 'kind of' cover them, without covering the look of them?

Any ideas or recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,517,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
bright blue and yellow asbestos tiles underneath for the length of the 'party area' complete with tiled-in shuffle boards at either end. It actually looks WAY better with the retro bar and decor down there, than the carpet ever did.
The 1950's Suburban Club Basement

Quote:
my husband does not want to cover up the tile work again.
Good for him

Quote:
...some kind of clear epoxy or glaze?
Johnson's paste floor wax.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 AM

19,395 posts, read 12,039,904 times
My parents, aunts and uncles grew up in asbestos houses, as did their parents as did I and my siblings, none of us got mesothelioma. The paranoia is overblown and the stuff was everywhere inside and outside of houses for the longest time, so everyone who grew up in a house before the 80s should be sick. Wax them to make them look better if you like but no need to cover them.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,830,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
My parents, aunts and uncles grew up in asbestos houses, as did their parents as did I and my siblings, none of us got mesothelioma. The paranoia is overblown and the stuff was everywhere inside and outside of houses for the longest time, so everyone who grew up in a house before the 80s should be sick. Wax them to make them look better if you like but no need to cover them.
I agree that the paranoia is overblown hype. I'm really not concerned about the fact that the tiles are asbestos (we have them elsewhere in the house as well) and realize they're only an issue if they disintegrate and the particles become airborne.

I think I'm going to take you and MrRational's advice and attempt to get them waxed. They really are so awesome looking!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:54 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,808,029 times
Asbestos is only dangerous when airborne and friable. Enjoy your tiles.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
You could clear coat them

Old 04-21-2013, 10:43 AM

41,740 posts, read 74,721,167 times
Quote:
When they removed the carpet- we saw that there were bright blue and yellow asbestos tiles underneath for the length of the 'party area' complete with tiled-in shuffle boards at either end.
Oh, how cool!

Quote:
It actually looks WAY better with the retro bar and decor down there, than the carpet ever did.

Anyway, my husband does not want to cover up the tile work again.
Smart guy. Get yourself some shuffleboard equipment and have fun!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,778,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You could clear coat them
Best suggestion. They have clear epoxy coatings that will last forever, the stuff will be completely encapsulated.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,610,414 times
Quote:
So, on Thursday we got a crazy amount of rain in this neck of the woods in a short amount of time. Unfortunately, the excess water caused the sewer lines to back up into the houses in my neighborhood (according to the neighbors, the same thing happened 12 years ago- so thankfully it's not a really frequent occurrence!).

We've had the Water Mitigation and Restoration team out and they have been busy chipping away the drywall and removing the carpet down in our basement. When they removed the carpet- we saw that there were bright blue and yellow asbestos tiles underneath for the length of the 'party area' complete with tiled-in shuffle boards at either end. It actually looks WAY better with the retro bar and decor down there, than the carpet ever did.

Anyway, my husband does not want to cover up the tile work again. We understand the dangers of asbestos but aren't paranoid by the sound of the word- we realize that it's only hazardous if it breaks up.

However, my husband was wondering if there is some kind of clear apoxy or glaze that we can paint over the asbestos tiles to 'kind of' cover them, without covering the look of them?

Any ideas or recommendations?

Yes, I do. We had asbestos flooring when I was a boy in the 1950's and mom would always wax them with Johnson's Paste wax for a nice shine and keep them sealed. Yes, I said SEALED! Mom always liked that when spills happened the liquid would stay on top of the tiles and not run down in the seams.

So visit a hardware store to buy some paste wax to cover that floor with 2 or 3 heavy coats of wax to seal the asbestos in place until the next waxing. TIP: Do not let the wax dry much past a slight haze before you buff it out. Leave it to dry completely and you will NEVER get it off!!!! Do small sections at a time.

Amazon.com: Johnson Wax 16 Oz Fine Wood Paste Wax 00203: Home & Kitchen

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,741,673 times
Post pictures!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House