Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:10 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times

Advertisements

We have a Toto and it's suction is quite impressive. You certainly want to think about flushing while you're still sitting - this is particularly true for the gentlemen, if you get my drift. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
LOL I went out to Homestyle this afternoon and ordered a new Toto G-Max to see how it performs against a Kohler Cimarron. We're going to stage flushing contests in various parts of the house.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:00 PM

40 posts, read 262,918 times
The only problem we've had with our new house is adjusting to the low flush toilets. Now, we've gotten used to them, and I can now actually get them to flush "somewhat" properly. BUT- I see tons of grief in our future when guests come over. It isn't going to be fun giving every guest a small seminar on how to properly flush our toilets while they visit.

Shouldn't toilet technology advance instead of going backwards?

Lastly- if you've got any tips on quick easy improvements for these new fangeled low flush toilets, please post.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I know this is drivel but- the best "flushing toilet" is one that doesn't have to.
The real answer to this question is not Kohler/ Toto its physics. Besides, they cost too much for something you just "crap" up!

Thats the physics- the head pressure thats created by the raised tank. O.K. not everybody likes great grandma's toilet; so whats the alternative? Pressure assist. There are a couple of companies that make a "kit" that fits inside your existing tank and and clears a bowl like a tornado through a field. The only thing that people gripe about is the swiiiiiiiiiiiish sound (think public restroom) it makes. But what would you rather have...
gt80rider, I think for your question this is the best post I have seen. Apparently there is a pressure assist kits that can be purchased. I found this to be interesting!! Hope it will be of some help for you. I have personally not tried it but it would be worth checking out.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have a real fetish about a good flushing toilet. I know for a fact what really worked well for us....but you will pay dearly for it. It was a "pull chain toilet". The "old fashion" type toilet. Not easy to find either. But they are great looking! The water tank is about 3-4 feet above the toilet so when you flush the toilet it has a lot of power. It was a very rare thing for it to ever get stopped up.....and I had kids so who knows what all got flushed??!! I loved that toilet. We purchased it because we had a small bathroom and it took up so much less space (the tank above the toilet, not behind the toilet). You can take a look at some on-line.
Water Closet

Some things to avoid:

The water treatment devices that have a metal ring in them. If it get's stuck in the trap of the toilet it will catch paper. The water treatment sticks that dissolve like the blue ones that turn into much in the back of the toilet. It eventually works it's way to the flapper and goops up the piping. If the toilet is not seated correctly over the flange it will not flush correctly (hard to do but can be done). Same goes with the wax ring sometimes when you set the toilet it will tend to move around a good perfectly verticle mount will help with this. Those special wipes that are moist are also thicker and tend to make toilets stop up. Baby wipes are not toilet paper and neither are paper towels (just for the record since I see this often) Female products do not go down the toilet especially plastic. Q-tips. Squirrels . So basically the only thing that should go down the toilet is human waste and toilet paper otherwise you risk a stopped up or poor flushing toilet.

Also people like to decorate the back of the toilet with items like deodorant and candles this is a bad idea as I can't tell you how many decorative items I have removed from the toilet....The worst one was a stick of deodorant...Plus kids like to see if the toilet can handle these items since they are so close to the toilet.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-10-2007 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-10-2007, 06:03 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
Hi! After a lot of research, I discovered the Gerber toilet with power assist and had it installed in my bathroom ten years ago. It uses the required puny amount of water, but will flush anything in one flush. It has not clogged once in the last decade and it has flushed everything we've sent its way.

The day it was installed the kids and I decided to test it while my DH was at work. We started by flushing small items from the refrigerator and gradually worked our way up to larger items. Nothing clogged that toilet. Finally we cut up a watermelon and flushed it down with one flush. It was hysterical! My DH would've killed us if he'd been here but we had a blast. The only downside to this toilet is that it's pretty loud when flushing, but that doesn't bother me.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:37 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,151,799 times
Sunnydee
do you have to keep the toilet seat lid closed when you flush a toilet with one of those power assist kits?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Water Closet

Some things to avoid:

The water treatment devices that have a metal ring in them. If it get's stuck in the trap of the toilet it will catch paper. The water treatment sticks that dissolve like the blue ones that turn into much in the back of the toilet. It eventually works it's way to the flapper and goops up the piping. If the toilet is not seated correctly over the flange it will not flush correctly (hard to do but can be done). Same goes with the wax ring sometimes when you set the toilet it will tend to move around a good perfectly verticle mount will help with this. Those special wipes that are moist are also thicker and tend to make toilets stop up. Baby wipes are not toilet paper and neither are paper towels (just for the record since I see this often) Female products do not go down the toilet especially plastic. Q-tips. Squirrels . So basically the only thing that should go down the toilet is human waste and toilet paper otherwise you risk a stopped up or poor flushing toilet.

Also people like to decorate the back of the toilet with items like deodorant and candles this is a bad idea as I can't tell you how many decorative items I have removed from the toilet....The worst one was a stick of deodorant...Plus kids like to see if the toilet can handle these items since they are so close to the toilet.

You and I are talking about two different toilets. I looked up the "water closet" you were talking about and it's definately not what I was talking about. I owned the "pull chain" toilet for 20 years so I am pretty sure what it is. I have copied and pasted the description here for you to read.

A stylish high tank pull chain toilet will lend your lavatory the charm and ambiance of the Victorian age. The materials and components are constructed with 21st century technology for long-lasting performance. Oak paneled and ceramic tanks are water efficient 1.6 gallons per flush. Ready to install with all mounting parts (in brass or chrome), includes tank, supply line, angle stop, mounting hardware and non-porous vitreous china bowl (round or elongated).

Last edited by cynwldkat; 11-11-2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You and I are talking about two different toilets. I looked up the "water closet" you were talking about and it's definately not what I was talking about. I owned the "pull chain" toilet for 20 years so I am pretty sure what it is. I have copied and pasted the description here for you to read.

A stylish high tank pull chain toilet will lend your lavatory the charm and ambiance of the Victorian age. The materials and components are constructed with 21st century technology for long-lasting performance. Oak paneled and ceramic tanks are water efficient 1.6 gallons per flush. Ready to install with all mounting parts (in brass or chrome), includes tank, supply line, angle stop, mounting hardware and non-porous vitreous china bowl (round or elongated).

The term is an old term and you are correct. That is what I always heard my grandparents call their high rise pull chain type toilets. Sorry it's just a mis use of the word I guess.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM

Hey, no biggie. You even had me looking it up just to be sure. So you see, I learned something new today--that can't be a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House