U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,856,382 times
Default What Is The Strongest Flushing Toilet?

Can anyone tell me what they believe the strongest flushing toilet is that doesn't get stopped up easily? I have some Kohlers which aren't good flushers and stop up easily with a modest amount of toilet paper.

I had a guest use the Kohler and he ended up with water all over the floor. Now that doesn't say much for a Kohler.

and No, he didn't throw a toy or comb down the Kohler but just the ordinary stuff which a toilet should be able to handle without stopping up and causing a flood.

any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 11:49 AM

181 posts, read 737,440 times
The Truth About Toilets - fun and interesting facts and statistics provided by American Standard for the Natural Handyman home repair and do it yourself website

Quote:
The Champion™ of flushing
Armed with these flushing factoids and a complete understanding of consumers’ toilet troubles, American Standard invested significantly to design, re-engineer and test an entirely new system for flushing toilets. The result is America’s Best™ Flushing System, featured for the first time in the new, aptly named Champion™ toilet.

“We’ve completely redesigned the inside of the toilet to make flushing virtually maintenance- free,” says Gary Uhl, director of design for American Standard. “This is the best thing to happen to toilets since indoor plumbing.”

Instead of using the typical toilet tank’s floating ball-and-chain system, the Champion has a proprietary Flush Tower™ that unleashes the power of water while using no more than 1.6 gallons in under a second. A tight silicone rubber seal functions in place of a corrodible rubber flapper, while an extra-large flush valve allows more water to enter the bowl quietly yet faster and more powerfully. An extra-large trapway ensures there are no chokepoints to worry about, so there’s more volume per flush and virtually no clogging, overflow or fix-it hassle.

The Champion lived up to its name when subjected to rigorous testing. For example, in independent tests conducted by SBS U.S. Testing, 41 rubber tubes were sent down the drain in one fast and furious flush. Another flush eliminated 31 synthetic sponges, and a third made 16 cloth napkins disappear. American Standard’s own tests removed up to 29 golf balls in one flush.

Toilet “test drives”
American Standard ultimately took the Champion to the nation’s seat(s) of power, providing celebrities with the opportunity to “test drive” the toilet’s performance. Famous flushers include Ty Pennington of TLC’s “Trading Spaces;” fitness expert Kathy Kaehler of NBC-TV’s “Today” show; and Emmy Award winning actress and comedienne Vicki Lawrence of “The Carol Burnett Show” and ”Mama’s Family.” While all test drivers expressed awe at the toilet’s superior performance, Lawrence’s reaction best characterized the test drive: “Forget the White House; this is the real seat of power— it’s one small step for man, one giant flush for mankind. Going potty was never so much fun.”

To see a visual demonstration of America’s Best Flushing System, visit American Standard The Champion toilet is available at wholesale locations and at retailers. Suggested list price is approximately $400. Other toilet models featuring America’s Best Flushing System will be available in 2004. For more information about America’s Best Flushing System, the Champion toilet or local availability, please call (800) 899-2614.
Be careful though, here is one unsatisfied customer
Consumer product reviews of the American Standard Champion toilet
Quote:
I wish I had read the reviews before I bought the Champion. The seal leaked from the first fill. The installer said it probably just didn’t seat properly but that it would after a few flushes. It never did seal, refilling itself every 15-20 minutes. The wasted water and the constant noisy refill for hours made me just turn it off. The tank completely emptied itself through the leaking seal after the shut off. American Standard was contacted and said they would not replace the toilet as "it was their most popular model". The lamest response I have ever heard from any manufacturer. I took copies of the complaints from this site to Home Depot and at least they stood behind their reputation and are replacing it with another brand. GDA, 4-26-2005

Old 10-31-2007, 10:11 AM

AZ91, thanks for posting that. I've heard that the American Standard Cadet 3 is a stout and reliable flusher but I haven't tried one out yet. Toto also reportedly makes a strong one but pricier.

I've had a plumber look at my Kohler toilet and he has his own test to determine whether or not it is flushing well. He wads up some toilet paper (not a lot), throws it in and then flushes the toilet. If the paper gets sucked down first, then he claims "It is flushing well." My test would be two wads of toilet paper mixed with some other 'stuff'. If it can reliably handle that, then I would say it is a good flushing toilet.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:56 AM

I could flush a squirrel down some of my older American Standard toilets but not many of the newer models.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 PM

285 posts, read 851,941 times
I got 2 Toto Drakes. Took me 9 months to finally clog one of them, and I was clogging my old one 3-4 times/week. Highly recommend Toto.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:01 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,181,381 times
Does a better toilet make a difference? Or are problems (blockage) usually further down the line?

Old 11-01-2007, 04:35 AM

5,231 posts, read 11,124,565 times
We have Totos and a Kohler - both are equally as good.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBravesFan View Post
I got 2 Toto Drakes. Took me 9 months to finally clog one of them, and I was clogging my old one 3-4 times/week. Highly recommend Toto.
AnotherBravesFan
I've read good things about Toto but have never owned one before.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:24 AM

365 posts, read 1,343,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I could flush a squirrel down some of my older American Standard toilets but not many of the newer models.
This comment just made my morning - too funny!

Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 AM

19,021 posts, read 13,431,797 times
I have a real fetish about a good flushing toilet. I know for a fact what really worked well for us....but you will pay dearly for it. It was a "pull chain toilet". The "old fashion" type toilet. Not easy to find either. But they are great looking! The water tank is about 3-4 feet above the toilet so when you flush the toilet it has a lot of power. It was a very rare thing for it to ever get stopped up.....and I had kids so who knows what all got flushed??!! I loved that toilet. We purchased it because we had a small bathroom and it took up so much less space (the tank above the toilet, not behind the toilet). You can take a look at some on-line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House