Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,128 times

Advertisements

Which bed is most comfortable and supportive, along with good warranty, for a heavy person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 04:10 PM

68 posts, read 210,925 times
My family certainly qualifies in the weight department... Over the years we tried several different beds, including a waterbed, all foam, inner spring, etc. We always had problems--poor support, backache, and they all wore out so quickly. I hate to sound like a commercial, but we bought a Select Comfort and have been happy with it for ~13 years. We both have back problems, and the improvement was amazing and nearly immediate. The thing we had to learn was that you don't need a "firm" mattress to get good support: the mattress will support you at any pressure, just a question of how much it conforms to your form; don't be afraid to try the lower pressure settings. Years ago, Consumer Reports recommended you should try out a mattress for a minimum of 30 min in the store; If that sounds creepy (it does to me) you really do need to spend enough time "sleep-testing" a bed for your muscles and joints to relax to get an idea of how well it's going to work for you.

We bought nearly the cheapest model they made at the time, and found that the "pillow top" (what they called it--not what it was) seemed to compress over the first 5-6 years, and added a memory 2" foam topper that has kept us happy for the last 7 or so years. My son and his wife bought a higher-up model ~4 years ago, one with a "real" pillow top, and I have to say it seems to be a better mattress in every way. One problem we had was compression of the foam bolsters that form the mattress edges. Tho' it's only been 4 years for them, theirs still seems to be performing better than ours. I guess the take-home message is, buy the best you can afford (or maybe a little more).

just my 2¢
heymikey

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,367 times
Yep - Select Comfort/Sleep Number. I have the base model and though it's about 12 years old, it's as good as new. I'm not heavy but it suits all body sizes and types .

Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
For a mattress, you get what you pay for. I paid $400 for a mattress and box spring over 15 years ago and it still feels very comfortable. And that at the time was one of the highest priced mattresses in the store. I just keep flipping it over and rotating it a couple of times a year.

And I chose that by laying on different mattresses and that one felt the best. Note that is an "old fashioned" mattress, not that foam memory or whatever (I don't know how long those last).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House