Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM

4 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a home which is located on top of a cliff (mountain if you will). Below that cliff, beyond my backyard, is a shopping center and within that shopping center there is a chinese restaurant. This popular restaurant is open from 12pm - 11pm 7 days/week. During these times, there is a greasy chinese food smell that is produced and I can smell in my back and front yard. The smell is not consistent as far as potency, but its always there. Its actually amazing because I'm not that close at all (distance speaking) from my house to the actual restaurant.

The health dept came by and basically said "tough luck". Is there anything I can do with my town or myself him remediate this smell?

Thank all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Not really. Venting is required. You might cut the smell a little if you offered to buy the guy a filtration system and pay for keeping the filters cleaned. However, the draw of restaurants is enhanced by the smells of cooking food, so he might not want to change. This is another case where due diligence could have saved a mistake.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
How far away is it?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,722 times
Really hard to determine the distance. At least a couple of hundred feet. You would never think the smell would make its way up so far. Other restaurants down there don't have any oders. Plus there is my backyard (1/2 acre) so the edge of the cliff is not that close to my house.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Not much you can do... except move.

You should have done your due diligence prior to buying that house!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
I don't know a Chinese restaurant that doesn't produce that unique grease smell... unless it has no customers and closes down. Yeah, should have found this out before buying... I'd hate to smell grease all day either.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
What city/state do you live in?

Or county if you don't want to specify?

The only reason I ask is that your local municipality MAY have ordinances that apply to this. Certain townships in PA have done it to counteract odors from ground-floor restaurants under residences. The town of Irwindale,CA recently took action against the Sriracha hot sauce factory, but those odors supposedly caused pain and suffering to local residents.

Otherwise, any recourse will need to involve legal action. Some homeowners have sued for neighbors' secondhand cigarette smoke from their patio.

You need to decide how bad it affects your quality of life. And how big your legal budget is.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-10-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,835 times
Chinese restaurants put out a stronger smell of grease than other restaurants
because they cook with much hotter fires, like burning the oils, and grease
making a lot of smoke.

They also use large fans to get the smell out of their kitchen.

Most breezes and winds come out of the west and head east.
If you are on the east side of the restaurant, plus living above it,
then you will always have the smell.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Most breezes and winds come out of the west and head east.
If you are on the east side of the restaurant, plus living above it,
then you will always have the smell.
Though this may have no direct bearing in the OP's circumstance- it is in the right direction.

Prevailing winds, low pressure areas, and up-drafts due to topographical terrain is the reason for smelling the odors coming from the restaurant. And as everyone else has lamented to- enjoy the aroma, or move.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Heat rises.

Maybe you get an updraft because of your property position. While across your property the air is more still, causing the smell to rise and then hang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House