U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 PM

951 posts, read 804,964 times

Advertisements

Help! Need project management guru!

In the near future, we need to replace the dishwasher, stove, washer and dryer. Nothing is dead, but they're on their last legs.

We also need to replace the floor in the kitchen and adjoining laundry.

It would be nice to do all this at once, with the same company, but I had a very bad experience with the local Home Depot 14 years ago and don't want to use them again. We do now have a Lowe's but I have no idea whether they'd be any better. I assume they all use the same subs around here.

I also am not sure we can financially swing buying all of these elements and installing them in one fell swoop.

If we can't, what order would you do this in? Buy the appliances piecemeal and do the flooring last, which would mean moving all the new appliances to install the flooring?

Do the flooring first, then buy the appliances piecemeal, risking your nice new floor? (Which will be vinyl or something else like it - not tile or laminate or hardwood).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM

17,602 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Appliance people know how to move their stuff over nice floors.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 PM

Really? Because I've seen some really crappy tradesman where I live.
OK, it stands to reason that they would know these things, though.
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,169,962 times
Makes no difference really. Even if you use a box store where you could get all the items, the appliance subs will be different from the flooring subs. Heck, the appliance subs will be different from each other: usually they get a plumber to do the dishwasher, whereas the others would probably just be regular appliance techs. (At least, in my case several years ago I had a DW installed from Lowe's, and it was a plumber who came out.)

Even if you had someone coordinating all that at once (move out old appliances, then lay floor, then install new appliances) you would still only save one shifting of the appliances. No matter what you still risk damage with the install. It's just that if you have the floor installed in the middle, you would save one REMOVAL over the new floor. Eh, big deal.

FWIW I doubt they would remove a built-in dishwasher for floor install would they? Probably just the stove and fridge, and the W/D in your case.

Pick it however you like. The floor is probably only visual; a new dishwasher or stove or washer and dryer might have functional improvements that you'll notice all the time. So if it were me I'd probably do those first, then assume that the flooring people understand how to put back the appliances over their newly installed floor without wrecking it (or if they didn't, they would have to fix it).

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM

6,837 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Save your money till you can do it in that "one fell swoop".
With good management you're out a kitchen for two days- 3 max.

Day 1-
Rip out old flooring and appliances prep for new floor
Day 2-
Install new flooring, shoe mold, paint, etc.
Day3-
Install new appliances (2-3hrs max)

DONE.

Piece mealing just means that every time someone comes to do/install something, the greater the chance to screw something up!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Additional question: Should I expect that whoever we buy appliances from will remove the old ones? Probably not, right, unless we do a combo of all elements with a big-box store?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 PM

10,427 posts, read 29,987,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Help! Need project management guru!

In the near future, we need to replace the dishwasher, stove, washer and dryer. Nothing is dead, but they're on their last legs.

We also need to replace the floor in the kitchen and adjoining laundry.

It would be nice to do all this at once, with the same company, but I had a very bad experience with the local Home Depot 14 years ago and don't want to use them again. We do now have a Lowe's but I have no idea whether they'd be any better. I assume they all use the same subs around here.

I also am not sure we can financially swing buying all of these elements and installing them in one fell swoop.

If we can't, what order would you do this in? Buy the appliances piecemeal and do the flooring last, which would mean moving all the new appliances to install the flooring?

Do the flooring first, then buy the appliances piecemeal, risking your nice new floor? (Which will be vinyl or something else like it - not tile or laminate or hardwood).

Thanks!
Another pizzed off Home Junkpo customer. This list is getting big. The big box stores do not employ Contractors that do their installed sales. They use local Contractors and contract with them. These stores will never or almost never visit the job site to do estimates. They rather use SF estimating methods or set pricing for specific jobs based on what the customer tells them in the store. Very inaccurate. But to compensate for this inaccuracy they mark up the bids sky high. You will sign off on the measurements and information you give them so when it's wrong you can not blame them.

Does anyone think bidding on a job they never been to is fair to you? If Joe Plumber gave you a phone quote you'd hang up on him so why trust the big box stores when they refuse to visit your job in person but give you a bid anyway?

If you call Joe Plumber he might give you an estimate for $500. If you call the big box store, Joe Plumber might do this job for the big box store for $500 and the big box store will bid it double or $1000 to the customer. The customer feels very confident to go with the big box store because 2 important reasons. First is the big brick and mortar store is sure NOT to go out of business. Second, the big box store takes credit cards. The little Plumber who works from his truck is risky and can't afford to take credit cards and pay the stupid high merchant fees to Visa/Mastercard sometimes as high as 7% or more per transaction.

I always preach how the big box stores charge full list price or MSRP on the merchandise I speak of all the time. On appliances they are actually a bit more competitive. It's still better for the consumer to go to a specialty appliance store as well as a flooring store. On flooring in the big box store you will get raped. And yes any place you buy the appliances from they will remove the old one. If you should find no one wants it then put it on your curbside on large garbage pick up day and it wont last but an hour with all the dumpster divers- scrappers driving around these days looking for scrap metals.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM

6,837 posts, read 21,956,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Additional question: Should I expect that whoever we buy appliances from will remove the old ones? Probably not, right, unless we do a combo of all elements with a big-box store?
Most places will remove old appliances. Doesn't matter which big box- HD, Lowes, BB, HHG, Sears, Brandsmart, etc. But remember, removing doesn't necessarily mean disconnecting/connectly (especially gas fueled appliances). Hence the critical path I outlined in my other post.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 AM

511 posts, read 345,444 times
Some places charge an additional fee for removing old appliances but this is also a negotiable item when you purchase if you have them install.
always do the floors last. The flooring installer will have to move the appliances. Not only do they know how to move them correctly, they also know they have to repair any flooring damage they cause to their own work.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM

And another thank you. Great insights here.
OK, onto flooring research -- I can figure out appliances without much trouble, but the flooring options are dizzying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House