Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you put up your Christmas lights?
Before Halloween 0 0%
After Halloween, but before Thanksgiving 7 15.22%
After Thanksgving, but before Pearl Harbor Day (Dec 7) 22 47.83%
After Pearl Harbor Day (Dec 7) 7 15.22%
Never . . . Bah Humbug 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM

145 posts, read 375,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A better question:

When do you take them down? Hhhhhmmmmm? When? Before Spring Break? After Easter? Father's Day?

The day before Thanksgiving I'll bet!

This is exactly what i was gonna post. growing up my folks always left them up till easter(keep in mind we grew up in the U.P., so there was still snow). i usually keep mine up til the weekend after the superbowl. mainly cause we have a superbowl party every year and it is a good way to help people find the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
My lights came out today. They are being untangled & tested. I don't care when he gets them hung, but I want to be able to turn them on the night after Thanksgiving. They come down Jan. 2.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 PM

113 posts, read 720,003 times
Usually putting up the decorations the week of christmas, the tree gets bought, and placed on the 23rd. then it all comes down before new years day.

We have 2 little ones. If the decorations are up too soon, then we gotta listen to "is it christmas yet???" everyday untill it comes!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
Thanksgiving weekend all the decorations come up and we purchase our tree. By the following weekend everything is up and stays up until the middle of January.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Default Thanksgiving weekend

If I'm gonna go to all that work, it goes up then so I can enjoy them...of course that's the only time I have to put them up. I don't turn them on until Dec 1st tho.
The tree goes up the 1st or 2nd weekend of Dec, depending what dates it falls on.

They will be taken down buy New Years with the exception of the bare naked tree. I heard it was bad luck to take it down before New Years Day. It never said it had to be decorated...

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My lights and decorations go up the first weekend around the 10th. The tree goes up the weekend after.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 AM

781 posts, read 3,816,545 times
Imagine this......a owner put away their Halloween decorations and replaced them with Christmas decorations the same day!!!!

I am not even near to putting the decorations out yet and this house just makes me feel behind already:-(

Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
I dont do outside lights cause my house is a huge big old 1850's brick and anything small would look stupid. I do garland and wreaths the front and back doors. This year Im gonna do some lighted flat half trees on either sde of the back door. I got some fake trees I trash picked.

No one comes to my house so its just for me. I usually start getting my stuff out and organizing it in the main hall the week of Thanksgiving. Im getting it down to a science. I have tons of Charlie Brown trees . The ones with the wood trunks. My goal is to get them all predecorated so I can just put them away as is. I even have a little tree in the kitchen with vintage cookie cutters. My project this year is to mount the big tree on a platform with wheels so I can wheel it away decorated and store it under the stairs.

I really love all the decorating but Im not as spry as I used to be and getting it all up and down in a month is too taxing. And I dont like putting stuff up early cause I really like my Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:18 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
I do not put up lights, I have two lit pieces of greenery I put on the front porch. Then I have a Christmas tree and decorate the living room and dining room. I will put my decorations up and tree up this week. Yup, you heard right.

It has become a tradition to have the tree up before my children's birthday. The oldest's birthday was in Dec so that was easy, then second and last one had a birthday on the 9th of Nov. So, my tree and decorations go up before his birthday. ;

I don't mind, I love to sit down late at night when everyone has gone to bed and let the glow of the Christmas tree soothe my stress away. I love Christmas holiday and it is just not Thanksgiving without our tree up!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Reopen the poll. I'd be the second choice (Halloween to Thanksgiving). I like to start decorating as early in November as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House