Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

Thanks for everyone's response. K- does it mean I should let the passive ridge/soffit vents do their job and leave the attic fan off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Our electrical provider here did a study on these power vents years back. We're no longer allowed to use them. They claim if it consumes electricity, it saves you nothing and usually ends up using far more energy than it saves.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 AM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
Thanks for everyone's response. K- does it mean I should let the passive ridge/soffit vents do their job and leave the attic fan off?
That's what I do, and I'm in central NC.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
...does it mean I should let the passive ridge/soffit vents do their job...
If they are adequate? Almost always. Few are.

As you described your eave vents ... yours certainly aren't.
Plan to do the eave work ASAP... and the insulation ASAP.

Quote:
...and leave the attic fan off?
And cross that bridge when you get to it.

But it probably won't matter if on or off as you almost certainly will need more exhaust
area than you have now. How you achieve that is best done by way of a ridge.

But doing the ridge will also mean closing the gable ends.
So... one step at a time.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Mr.R- I think another poster said he has gable. My roof has the ridge and soffit vents. Soffit all along the edge of the roof as I see it looking up from ground level. No gable. Plenty of insulation already. So just wondering what is the proper use of the power attic vent or is it better left off altogether.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Mr.R- I think another poster said he has gable.
Gotcha. I missed that. That was the OP.
Quote:
...what is the proper use of the power attic vent or is it better left off altogether.
As said... if the intake and outlet openings are both sized right there is no need for fans.
(eg: one square foot of net free vent area per 300 square feet of attic floor LINK)
That's the whole point of the convection design.

Quote:
My roof has the ridge and soffit vents.
Soffit all along the edge of the roof as I see it looking up from ground level.
When up in the attic... if you look down into the eave do you have daylight?

The soffit at my house was one continuous narrow opening the whole length and all was good.
A steady amount of air was able to flow in down the whole length of the house.

Then the vinyl guys came.
The louvre portion of the vinyl installed over the wood allowed maybe one tenth of that air to flow.
Picture link HERE

Old 06-01-2013, 09:49 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I also live in NE. Very humid in the summer. I dont have a fan or ridge vents. I have tiny sofet vents and an opening on each end of the house in the attic.

What is more recommended? A fan or ridge vent? Does either have an affect on reducing humidity in the house?
Attic ventalation will not reduce you homes humidity, Humidity is water in the air. Attic vents and fans only reduce heat cause by sun's rays heating your roof and air in attic.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
With a ridge vent, leave the fan off. They are a pretty common source of house fires and tend to pull conditioned air from your interior anyway.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:20 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:

As a few others have already lamented too- it depends.
Attic size, soffit vent total free area, and ridge, gable, or other free area- that mathematical equation I referred to earlier.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
With a ridge vent, leave the fan off. They are a pretty common source of house fires and tend to pull conditioned air from your interior anyway.
House fires??? why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House