Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times

Advertisements

jrsydevil82, what's that old saying? Good fences make good neighbors or something like that. Fence your property in so the kids stay off of it, and so you don't have tie that poor dog up anymore.
Good luck with your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I haven't found too many other 'weird' things, but apparently we have weird neighbors across the street. Their kids play basketball on to cul de sac, & last evening I came out back to get my laundry off the line & the kids were playing catch in my back yard...I thought that was REALLY weird...I can understand if you thought no one was living there but they have seen us several times & we always say hello. I normally wouldn't mind but I have a border collie who doesn't take kindly to strangers. Thank GOD I saw them before hooking him onto his rope back there. My fiance came out & kindly told them they can't play back there, since we have a dog who doesn't like kids. At the time, I saw the dad & some guys doing work in their back yard (their back yard backs into the cul de sac). One guy was walking by with a wheelbarrow. This morning when we left for work we found a bunch of mud that had just been dumped half on our front yard & half on the curb/street. I am seriously wondering if they did it out of spite.
Assuming that is what happened: that is the kind of thing I will never be able to understand. THEIR KIDS are playing in YOUR yard, yet somehow YOU are in the wrong? How could ANYONE believe that?

I hope that's the worst you ever have to deal with. Many congrats on the new home!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,027 times
YES luckily most of the yard is fenced in, my fiance is going to finish it at some point. I will be putting 'beware of dog' signs up as well. So weird!!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:40 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
YES luckily most of the yard is fenced in, my fiance is going to finish it at some point. I will be putting 'beware of dog' signs up as well. So weird!!
Skip the beware of dog sign. What it does is advertise that your property is available for a lawsuit.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Skip the beware of dog sign. What it does is advertise that your property is available for a lawsuit.
That's true. My insurance agent told me that if you put one of those signs up it's like admitting that you are aware that your dog is dangerous. Hard to fight a lawsuit if even the owner says the dog is a danger.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 6,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
So are you saying that they are supposed to be that way (upside down)? I'm not sure I'm following you... I'm sorry.
There is no "upside down" with outlets, "usually" electricians put them with the grounding lug down, but up is fine and can be safer depending on use.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:48 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
jrsydevil82, what's that old saying? Good fences make good neighbors or something like that. Fence your property in so the kids stay off of it, and so you don't have tie that poor dog up anymore.
Good luck with your new home!
Maybe we're going a little OT with fences and neighbors... but we're facing an issue regarding both.

Our fence needs to be replaced and we are planning on having it done next spring. We were walking the perimeter this past weekend and going board by board looking things over and hammering in loose nails and whatnot... when we came upon an area of our fence where the neighbors on the other side have actually piled so much crap up against our fence that it's causing the fence to lean inward. They have all kinds of crap and wood and misc. back there, some of it leaning up against our fence and some just very close. We've been told that they are "potheads" and warned to "expect anything" when we go knock on their door to let them know that we're going to replace our fence. I'm a little worried about what's going to happen.

I'm also worried that we'll put up a new fence, and they will just pile the crap back and damage the new one. Hubby suggested maybe instead of a fence, building a cement or brick wall.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
The weirdest thing we found in our house was a 2.5 foot by 1 foot hole cut out of the basement floor. It didn't go right down to the dirt, but it was about 4 inches deep. I ended up filling it in with hydraulic cement. It was bizarre because it was cut out of the floor, but there was nothing that would have been cemented to the floor in that space. The house was built in 1959 and we bought it off the family of the original owners, so who knows what they could have possibly been digging out of there!

Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 PM

Annuvin, that is very weird. I wonder what the hole was for.

Your post reminded of some weirdness in my old house though. There was a 1x1 cutout in the paneling in the basement with wood trim around it. We figured it was just an access panel to get to a pipe or something, but when we opened it, there was nothing there but concrete wall.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
After moving in, I found a full-sized rowboat in the yard space between my house and the next house. It wasn't there on inspection. I live in a perpetual drought area (SoCal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House