Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

hi,
i have a SFH in virginia with a 1 car garage.....11x19.
I'm trying to add a new garage to the right of the existing one (attached of course...so a wall needs to come down).....and i was thinking about the addition to be 17x19 (a bit bigger than the one i already have).

I will need concrete as the foundation; two pine trees need to be cut. New driveway needs to be built (as the old one needs to be expanded to cover the new garage area).

what's a good ball park estimate for the garage portion? i've heard 40 a sq. ft. is the norm. is that reasonable or is it much different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Start with a SOLID design, something done by an actual pro and then SHOP it to some builders.
It's "only a garage" but it has a TON of detail that must be done right.

On the design: Rather than disturbing the existing garage...
I'd suggest a separate new construction with a breezeway/shed between.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Or if you attach it directly, you might consider setting it back a little so you are not trying to match the roofline on the complete addition. It can be done, but it takes planning.

As MrRational said unless design is something you have expertise in, (and if you did, you wouldn't be here asking questions) get a pro involved in the design. And you don't need to remove the existing wall completely. Just putting a doorway between the 2 parts can give you additional walls to use for storage systems.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM

MrRational,
let me clarify a bit.....the second garage will be attached to the existing one. no room for a breezeway. I'm thinking about about knocking the wall of the existing garage down....add a concrete foundation level with the existing garage. Build the second garage. re-do driveway to make it uniform for both garages.

I'm contemplating not having any electrical outlets or head or anything for the second garage...(as i have electricity for the existing garage anyway).....so the addition is truly JUST a room. that's all.

nonetheless, i will have a plan drawn out (either by using software myself, or hiring someone)....and i will get all pertaining permits.....
i just wanna know what's reasonable for getting all the above done.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
And you don't need to remove the existing wall completely. Just putting a doorway between the 2 parts can give you additional walls to use for storage systems.
i'd like the two garages to have no wall between them....but i agree with you on the PRO architect. i'm leaning towards that.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
... i've heard 40 a sq. ft. is the norm. is that reasonable or is it much different?
Well, if you've heard that $40sq/ft is the norm- why would you question it on an open forum that covers every corner of the country? Every region will be a little different in hard cost. It's all the other stuff that makes a significant difference- namely, LABOR!

Then there's HOA's, variances, permits, utilities, yada, yada, yada.
Want a better feel for cost- post your question in your local area forum and see if you get any responses.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
hi,
i have a SFH in virginia with a 1 car garage.....11x19.
I'm trying to add a new garage to the right of the existing one (attached of course...so a wall needs to come down).....and i was thinking about the addition to be 17x19 (a bit bigger than the one i already have).

I will need concrete as the foundation; two pine trees need to be cut. New driveway needs to be built (as the old one needs to be expanded to cover the new garage area).

what's a good ball park estimate for the garage portion? i've heard 40 a sq. ft. is the norm. is that reasonable or is it much different?
The cost question is a bit subjective, because they're a lot of variable at play, and or a lack of information. While it is true that labor rates are different throughout the nation. They are also different within your own state. I'm sure people in a remote part work for much less than those in a greater metropolis.

Also, design will play a very important roll here. Assuming the rafters are perpendicular to the length the entire roof must be rebuilt. This would also mean that existing portions of the garage may have to additional bolts and tie downs. Keeping the existing wall (in between spanned with 4x? overhead) may help by incorporating purlin struts to reduce the size of lumber for this 14' rafter span. With this in mind now you can understand why someone suggested a new stand alone structure. Garage door walls typically require additional bracing due to reduced wall length. Trusses could be considered, but this requires the over educated idiot with a pencil (engineer), which may be required anyway based on the local authorities discretion.

Good luck, just thought I could add some real prospective.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
So you are looking to have a 28' x 19' garage with 2 garage doors (a single and a 16' double)? I can understand wanting to pull down the wall, but you will need to have a large beam installed in it's place with possibly a post to support it as I bet the joists are running along the 11' side. We have a triple 2x12 beam in our 3 car garage between the two doors.

Good luck on it!

Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

Ours came out to 32 a square for 36*36 and the had to excavate 3 large stumps and a few large rocks. This was a shale rock so it was easily broken with the excavator. That included two 8*9 garage doors, two windows, two doors, 2 foot knee wall on two sides, 4 foot knee wall on another side, chimney with a 10 inch flue and a 6 foot overhang on the backside of the garage. That didn't include any utilities.

Your prices are going to vary depending on the region.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-25-2013 at 03:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 02:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
On the design: Rather than disturbing the existing garage...
I'd suggest a separate new construction with a breezeway/shed between.
One of the big issues with my house is that it's masonry so putting in new wall openings is a problem. This actually worked out perfect because the existing garage which is going to be tuned into a master bedroom had a window i the exact location a hallway would go.

I'm so glad it's attached to the house, the other thing is boiler room was added in the garage so we didn't have to deal with any underground heating going through an unheated space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House