Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:45 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,542,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
I made up a sign today but my wife won't let me put it in the yard. It's shaped like a gravestone with "R.I.P." across the top, a drawing of a dog beneath it, and the words "Last Dog to Poop in the Yard" along the bottom.
The neighbor behind me has that in his front yard.....and he's a dog owner of two dogs who bark for about three hours every weekday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 05:57 PM

77,700 posts, read 59,834,099 times
Quote:
Anyone had a unidentified (ID still pending) neighbor walk their dog and allow them to do their business on your front lawn, and then leave without picking it up? It's the third time its happened this week.

I made up a sign today but my wife won't let me put it in the yard. It's shaped like a gravestone with "R.I.P." across the top, a drawing of a dog beneath it, and the words "Last Dog to Poop in the Yard" along the bottom.

So, pending the placement of the "gravestone" right where Fido's been doing his business, anyone have another solution to the problem that's worked for you? I happen to like my dea, but I've gotta' keep peace in the family.

BTW, I think the sign looks pretty good. It's made out of 3/4" plywood, about 2 1/2' tall, painted lite grey, and the words are black with dark grey shadow accents. Still, the wife doesn't want it in the yard.

Again, how did you solve the doddie doo problem from an unknown neighbor?
I've had the same problem....it really ticked me off. Don't place the sign, people love thier pets like kids....even if you are spot on they will bear a grudge and feel you have wronged them.

My solution. Put the dog crap on the sidewalk. They will notice and get the point and so will other walkers in your neighborhood that will know who walks thier dog and isn't picking up after it. Someone they know will mention it to them and it will stop.

If you find out who is doing it, throw it on their driveway if it persists.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:21 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,335,304 times
Oh how I feel for you Garth! I have been there!

What I have tried:

Black pepper
Crushed red pepper
Lemon and Orange peels
A sign
Moving poop to sidewalk
Direct confrontation when caught in the act

They have all worked and not worked to one degree or another.

Like Cil said, the organic deterrents (black pepper, red pepper, citrus) needs to be regularly replaced. Most dogs are repelled by these scents, but some dogs (especially those un-neutered males!) are further determined to scent over your scent ! So, it can backfire .

I defied my husband and put a sign up once. I could not catch the person in the act and they were doing this daily (new neighborhood dog). It worked! For a while, anyway. The poop still appeared on everyone else's lawns, just not mine. After a while, it started to appear on mine again a few times. Still, I'm glad that I embarrassed the owner for a time at least.

Moving poop to the sidewalk is not a good idea. All it does is attract more dogs to poop on your lawn. You need to remove poop as soon as it appears or you'll have more .

Direct confrontation......the best ! I have literally chased offenders down the street with grocery bags in my hand. Of course, you have to figure out when they're doing this, and that's not easy, but sometimes you can luck out. I've had mixed reactions. Teenagers are usually cool about it and will comply and start carrying bags and picking up the poop. Female adults seem to be the worst and I've had some nasty fights over it. I could care less and I'm only happy if they decide to never walk past my house again (problem solved! ). I feel that it only hurts me if I don't say something and I'm not a doormat - I'm a confronter!

Best of luck to you, don't give up, you're teaching a valuable lesson (and remind them - it's not just good manners, it's the law!).

Old 11-07-2007, 08:40 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,127,981 times
Quote:
Anyone had a unidentified (ID still pending) neighbor walk their dog and allow them to do their business on your front lawn, and then leave without picking it up? It's the third time its happened this week.

So, pending the placement of the "gravestone" right where Fido's been doing his business, anyone have another solution to the problem that's worked for you? I happen to like my dea, but I've gotta' keep peace in the family.

BTW, I think the sign looks pretty good. It's made out of 3/4" plywood, about 2 1/2' tall, painted lite grey, and the words are black with dark grey shadow accents. Still, the wife doesn't want it in the yard.

Again, how did you solve the doddie doo problem from an unknown neighbor?
I happen to like your idea, but think I would try it out on a neighbor's yard first!

One of the coolest things I have heard of is the Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler. I haven't gotten one, but here is some info on it. It would be fun to sit by the window and watch!

Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler Ships Free at ProvenRepellents.com (http://www.provenrepellents.com/products.php?pid=169 - broken link)

The Scarecrow Sprinkler Effectively Repels Animals Without Harming Them
This lawn sprinkler is motion activated. Hook scarecrow water sprinkler to your garden hose, and when an animal approaches, the sprinkler activates and frightens the animal away. Covers up to 1000 square feet. A 35 foot deep and 45 foot wide 100 degree sensor detection zone provides plenty of garden protection.

Detection Range

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/scarecrow-sprinkler-range.gif (broken link)

Sprinkler Details

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/scarecrow-sprinkler-details.gif (broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 09:43 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,922,506 times
Thanks everybody. I'm going to have my wife read the thread and let her choose. That way, if something goes wrong, she can't blame me.

I especally like the idea of the sprinkler, but they're all great. Hummm, I wonder if there's a way to set it so it's activaed by the dog on the lawn but it sprays the owner. Geeze, that's bad, isn't it.

Thanks again eveyone!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,653,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
Go buy mass amounts of black pepper and spread it all over your yard..........whe dogs start sniffing around looking for a place to crap, they won't do it in your yard..........the pepper burns thier nose and they run off yelping as if they have been kicked.........this also works in flower beds etc.
I think you could be sued if the dog is injured. You should consult a lawyer for liability concerns before you do something like that.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,201,299 times
The sprinkler idea is probably the best.....and those work!! I use to get wild critters in my veggie garden so I installed one of those. Worked like a charm!! It doesn't hurt anyone but it sure startles them!! And when it happens more then once they get the idea. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,990,440 times
Warn them once to not trespass on your property, when they do it again make a citizen's arrest, call the police and press trespassing charges.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 AM

768 posts, read 2,095,365 times
I think the sprinkler is a great idea. Unfortunately, we are in a drought and can't use them.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:32 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,665,390 times
there will always be someone who doesn't pick it up The pet forum has a couple of threads on this topic. 1 is below.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-poo-your.html

I used the signs, and still some thought it was great to let their dog poop a few feet from the sign. I did the polite confrontation, the running out with a ziploc bag for them to pick it up in, and I did the pick it up with a shovel and throwing it in the road near them after they were done and walking away.
The only thing I can think of left to do is put the lil metal stakes across the front of my yard by the road and clip chain from each stake to deter the dog from leaving a deposit on the lawn.

man I feel for ya, and I wish you the best friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House