Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:27 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times

Advertisements

Semantics aside, there a LOT of those houses everywhere. the photo you have shown is a really nice update for the look but yes that split level house does have stairs to contend with when one is injured or aged. That said my in laws lived in one just like that till they were 86, with hip surgery two times. They loved it, said it kept them young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:35 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I've always understood a split level to be a house where you enter from the street and immediately are presented with stairways doing up and down (sometimes theres an actual foyer, sometimes the stairs are just barely inside the door). The staircases are not full length, like in a 2 story house. Upstairs, is kitchen, living room, dining room. Downstairs is family room, laundry, possibly a study, garage. Bedrooms are sometimes upstairs, and sometimes on an additional level.

I'm not a fan, personally. I think it makes it difficult when you have furniture and large items delivered. Plus, who wants to carry your groceries up stairs, and your laundry downstairs (and then back up again)?

They're also not a good floor plan for entertaining -- and that's something I do a lot of.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I grew up in a split level home in NY. It was built a little later than mid century (1960s). You walked into the front door and there was a small foyer, and a family room that opened to the back yard. You walked up half a flight of steps to the main living area and up another half a flight of steps to get to the bedrooms.

I would not want to live with that floor plan if I had a choice. You could hear the noise from the lower level on the main level and vice versa. You could also hear the noise from the main level in the bedrooms. No matter what you needed to do you have to climb stairs. You also had to walk down the back steps to the patio in the summer when you wanted to barbeque. So if you forgot something it was up and down the steps.

The layout you describe in your OP was called a raised ranch where I grew up. My SIL has that layout. It is not ideal. In her house she has to carry her groceries through the basement to the steps and then up the steps (from the garage) or all the way across the yard and up the steps (from the driveway). When the kids were smaller the noise from the living room kept them up when there were guests in the living room. Now that they are older it isn't as much of any issue because they don't go to bed as early as they did when they were little. She also has to go up and down the back steps whenever she is entertaining in the back yard.

My parents and my SIL bought their houses because that was what they could afford at the time. However, they are not ideal floor plans (IMO).

Old 06-27-2013, 03:19 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Check with your realtor about resale value. I was once told that the market for resale is VERY limited.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:32 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan, personally. I think it makes it difficult when you have furniture and large items delivered.
Same here. I'm no fan either. Just not my thing.

But YOU like it and that's all that counts.

My only advice to you or anyone else is think about LIVING in the house day to day, year to year. How you live, and how would you get around if your mobility did change. COULD you short term live on one floor for example if you had to for a few weeks, etc....

Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM

22,560 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Check with your realtor about resale value. I was once told that the market for resale is VERY limited.
Not in the areas where that is a dominant style!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
This is the type of split level house I'm considering:
That is called a split entry (because once in you either go up or down) or aka a raised ranch

Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Some of those bi-level houses are cool; some I don't like. They're all just a little bit different.

My dream house is a quad level across the street from my mom. I'd risk living across the street from my mom to live in that house. When I was a kid, I played in that house; when I was a teen, I babysat in it. I used to daydream about how I'd furnish it and landscape it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Nope. That's a high ranch. Different. It feels like you're living in an apartment.
Depends on what part of the country you're from as to what that style of house is called. "High ranch" is a new one on me; I've heard split entry, split foyer, bi-level, and raised ranch. None are right or wrong.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 PM

251 posts, read 522,669 times
What's the point of having stairs? Unless the lot is so small you have to build vertical. They are both a nuisance and waste of space.

We love our hacienda style home with the master bedroom and it's sitting room, the living room, kitchen and family room all wrapped around the pool area. The office, dining room, garages & guest suites along the outside perimeter for quiet. The only stairs are in the pool.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
Brady Bunch house! I love split-levels, esp. if they have that "mid-century/atomic ranch" look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House