Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Hogwash, typically the guy in charge is a Carpenter, and the reason we're the Master Craft.

I can't say I've ever been on a job where I was "directed" by a carpenter.

and I've certainly never had a carpenter try to tell me how to do my job. (EC)

there is a chain of command in a construction project just like any other job, and no trade is higher or lower than the other; some are just more easily replaceable. it takes all of them to make things happen. . .

as for education . . . . helpers are helpers, journeymen are journeymen, engineers are engineers, and managers are managers no matter the trade.

typically the more advanced education requirements will be in the hvac, plumbing, electrical, and general contracting trades. I don't know any carpenters with construction management or engineering degrees. not saying they're any less valuable, but higher education isn't a typical requirement of being a carpenter.

as for that $125/hr; no one here knows their cost of doing business. if you don't think its fair, go look somewhere else. service work involves a lot of time that isn't billable. . . and that rate is pretty dang near our break even cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I can't say I've ever been on a job where I was "directed" by a carpenter.

and I've certainly never had a carpenter try to tell me how to do my job. (EC)

My guess would be that most likely you have been directed by a Carpenter, but fail to want to admit it, and to say that the MEP (mechanical, electrical, and plumbing) trades are the most educated is HOGWASH. However, maybe where you are from they have special schools for the MEP crafts

IE: If you were to go to the new 49ers stadium being built today in Santa Clara, CA, 90% of the construction managers (superintendents) will have come up through the Carpentry trade. This is a fact that you can't change. When they sit in they're daily, or weekly meetings it is most likely directed by a Carpenter. Just because he is now a manager doesn't take away from how they got to where they're at.

A 4 year apprenticeship give them 40 units college credit, and all crafts must attend a minimum of 144 hours of classroom instruction to be an accredited apprenticeship program. To say one craft is better than another is just nuts, when the requirements for each are the same to reach journey level.

Now, if your talking a small time contractor who has 2 trucks, 2 employees (helpers), and learned the craft through trial and error it is not even the same league. Joe Blow can study a book and get a contractors after taking a test. This isn't training, but rather a license that must be accompanied with a bond is case they screw up.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:26 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
Is this a pretty high rate for a plumber?
I just paid $150/hr for a plumber. He was highly recommended and noted by several people to be fair in pricing while doing an excellent job. He didn't charge for the time he took t go to the store for supplies because he ran out the previous day & didn't have time to restock his truck. He also came the next day at noon after I called him at 930 pm the previous night when I discovered the leak.

Of course, I'd rather pay less...But he was here when I needed him, and got the job done fairly quickly (1 hr 15m). I'm in NorCal - Sacramento/Folsom.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
We have 2 homes in 2 different States. We've had plumbers out at both homes. One charges $65.00 (AZ) per hour, the other charges $135.00 (MN) per hour.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We have 2 homes in 2 different States. We've had plumbers out at both homes. One charges $65.00 (AZ) per hour, the other charges $135.00 (MN) per hour.
Man give me a break. At any given time I can find plumber for 50-60$/hour from Craigslist in MN. How much pro investors talk with me about pricing ( I'm carpenter contractor and work for a doze of them ) most expensive are electricians. I don't know how they need over 100$/hour to brake even. I do top notch carpentry work for 30$/hour and I'm not in minus.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
Man give me a break. At any given time I can find plumber for 50-60$/hour from Craigslist in MN. How much pro investors talk with me about pricing ( I'm carpenter contractor and work for a doze of them ) most expensive are electricians. I don't know how they need over 100$/hour to brake even. I do top notch carpentry work for 30$/hour and I'm not in minus.
I can find a carpenter, plumber, electrician etal for $30.00 an hour also, but I prefer a licensed bonded and insured quality professional tradesman who knows what they are doing legally, not on drugs, or just out of prison.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 AM

752 posts, read 1,164,779 times
Beauty of my job is if someone doubt about quality I simple post pictures of my work. So at any time you or any one else can go to my photobucket page to se quality of my work. Licensed, bonded, insured, 3 A from BBB, Angie list, noting do not count, only photos. So would you direct me to se yours handy work or you are only big moth. I post before link to mice and will again if need. And no one tradesmen at my projects will not take more then 50$ hour.
Yeah competition show with that 3A, licensed, bonded etc etc staff. I always show with pictures of my work and references and it is game over. Big moth worth something before rise of digital photography and Internet. Today it is worthless. All what I say to customers is go to my web page and check photos and ask for references. Annoying little competition that have tons of titles but none photos I ignore, treat them like little dirt at ground.

Last edited by tipitop; 08-21-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 440 times
Master Craft?!? I'm an electrician and neither me or my co-workers take direction from a carpenter, EVER!!! Honestly we direct the carpenters on a pretty frequent basis because we find their f ups when were doing our rough in. How would a carpenter even know what we are doing? I constantly see carpenters, in ratty clothing bragging about how hungover they are. Buy a hammer a tape and a skillsaw you can call yourself carpenter. To be a licensed electrician you need either an associates degree plus 6000 hrs on the job an apprenticeship with 8000 hrs on the job, or just 16000 hrs on the job. Then once youve done that you have to pass a test over a codebook thats 2 inches thick. Now as far as doing a man's job, Try setting a commercial main disconnect panel or a transformer. Those only weigh 400 to 800 lbs or more. Why don't you hoist a ten foot stick of some 4" rigid pipe up and strap it to a ceiling. Try pulling 80 pounds of wire 120 ft up a grain leg. Before you get too huffy at me. I was a carpenter before I was an electrician. I found it too simple and not mentally challenging at all. You really just need one semi smart guy on a carpentry crew and the rest can be chimps.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I know a plumber who charged a senior citizen $65.00 to replace a small water valve. It took him 10 mins & he told me $65.00 was the discount rate for seniors. I could of done it for $20.00 but the lady wanted a pro to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House