U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:22 AM

349 posts, read 678,221 times
Default Best construction adhesive?

Can somebody tell me what the best costruction adhesive is? I know there is a wide variety of different brands out there like Liquid Nails, etc.
Recently my wife and I have seen an ad on TV for some new super duper instant setting adhesive but we can't remember what brand it is.

Our project is to install laminate flooring on some concrete steps in a sunroom, (top, front, and sides). We are looking for something that sticks and sets very quickly.

Can some of you construction gurus give me some tips?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:25 AM

349 posts, read 678,221 times
Never mind. Figured out the stuff I want is Loctite powergrab.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM

6,614 posts, read 20,448,222 times
Although you answered your own question- I have one I'll add to the list.
My trim carpenter turned me onto this stuff about 4yrs ago- Its called Gorilla Glue. And it will flat put two pieces of of wood together. Way better than carpenters glue. BUt it call be used on other things. But probably wouldn't work for your scenario.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:09 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,510,361 times
Gorilla glue expands as it cures so you have to clamp it down very well and expect quite a lot of squeeze out to take care off. Great for some things, but I would never use it for flooring. It isn't necessarily better than wood glue, depending on the application. Most recommended glue for flooring is a urethane floor adhesive. I've used the locktite for the rough in carpentry but not for flooring. It was great for rough carpentry because it grabs and holds right away, which Gorilla glue does not do. I don't know how well it would work on the stresses of flooring. Never heard of anyone using it for that.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 28,774 times
Sika Construction Adhesive, only sold at Home Depot, best on the market, polyurethane adhesive.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,946,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpayne12 View Post
Sika Construction Adhesive, only sold at Home Depot, best on the market, polyurethane adhesive.
Copy of Gorilla Glue. I've tried them all including the Loctite Power Grab which produced mediocre results and have found nothing tops Gorilla Glue.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM

6,533 posts, read 14,332,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
,,,Our project is to install laminate flooring on some concrete steps in a sunroom, (top, front, and sides). We are looking for something that sticks and sets very quickly.,,,.
Wood does not glue to concrete well, this will likely lift off the concrete within a couple years.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM

2,211 posts, read 3,946,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Wood does not glue to concrete well, this will likely lift off the concrete within a couple years.
It won't if Gorilla Glue is used.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:15 AM

3,279 posts, read 10,300,827 times
Whatever you decide to use, read the label and see if it is made to work with the materials and application you are planning.
I have only used the Gorilla Glue that you have to clamp and it expands. Is there another type that you don't have to clamp, and doesn't expand?
Another thought is why not go to the flooring dept of a big box store and see what glues are available next to the laminate flooring? I'm sure there will be one that fits the bill. IF you don't like big box stores, then go to a flooring supplier. Why guess at something that might work? Use the stuff that the flooring manufacturer suggests.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 PM

6,533 posts, read 14,332,797 times
The way we do this on construction jobs is to shoot treated plywood to the concrete with a Hilti and concrete pins. Then you have a surface the glue will adhere to.

Wood moves, stretches, shrinks, warps. Concrete does not. Every time wood moves the adhesion will deter. If you shoot the wood to the concrete it allows for movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House