Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
How about NO paint? Ours is a clear finish knotty Alder with rusty finish iron hardware.
I'd have to get a new door. "No paint" on a steel (or whatever it is) clad door is an ugly, dull white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM

251 posts, read 522,879 times
Well, why not get a nice real wood door? The entry is a strong focal point of your home, and to me a high quality wood entry door is a sign of good taste. Assuming you live in a nice house that's well kept. Otherwise, paint away..

Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 AM

803 posts, read 1,879,385 times
wood is really nice., especially the doors that archguy posted were real nice solid and very classic looking doors.

but a wood door is also traditional, in my opinion anyways. i sum a wood door up as being equal to clear nail polish on nails.

i want color and excitement on my nails and for my house. lol

im not traditional at all.

like for example, theres no white trim in my house, in fact most of my rooms have black trim and crown molding with the panels of the doors painted black too. my relatives think its eerie looking, one said that it reminds her of an old historic house. and my sister told me that my choice of house colors is odd, unusual and kinda creepy because of the black trim. is it really that bad? . i honestly dont think so, i just like contrast and the wall color just stands out more and its easier to decorate.

the red and black room freak my sister out. i have an all black bathroom that she thinks is wierd too. the vanity is black. the walls the ceiling are black and the floor is white. i dont think thats creepy or strange but its not your typical neutral colored bathroom.

so now my next project is to paint my door. i was going to do red as i still have red paint left over but that emerald green sounds so nice. or maybe Purple. ugh

theres a website feature at sherwin williams.com that lets you see what different colors look like before commiting to actually painting it. lets see what color door i come up with. lol maybe ..dalmatian spotted! nah jk.. well maybe not. lol

Old 07-03-2013, 10:30 AM

251 posts, read 522,879 times
Zebra stripe.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Well, why not get a nice real wood door?

Unfortunately, I can't find it on YouTube, but there was a great commercial for steel-clad doors showing Joe Frazier punching his way through a wooden door and saying, "Got a wooden door? You better watch out for burglars."

But regardless of the color of the door, if you paint a blue, seven-pointed star on it, it will keep the Snallygaster away.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I just priced out doors as we are replacing ours.

The wood one we wanted was six times the price of the one we ended up buying. Plus there is the issue of maintenance.
Sooo... no wood for us.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I just priced out doors as we are replacing ours.

The wood one we wanted was six times the price of the one we ended up buying. Plus there is the issue of maintenance.
Sooo... no wood for us.

totally agree, u know how many times u would have to conceal a nick, a scratch etc? ... i think steel is def better. because then u can color it!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
There are meanings to front door colors. I love this topic, and rather than trivialize it, I am going to do a bit of research about the subject.

We have a 1920s ten room craftsman influenced house. There are two traditionally painted doors to the screened in porch and they are original to the house. We did some "paint archeology" scraping down to the first layer and found what another poster called "church door red". We have repainted the door that color.

In many cultures, a red door signifies property, so we like that.

The actual front door that leads to the inside of the house is also original and gorgeous! It has never been painted. It is huge and has side lights and beveled glass. We are having it professionally restored.

I am wondering about the significance of bright yellow doors on an otherwise subdued house? I have seen these in New England and on Long Island's North Shore. The yellow is almost pineapple in color.

I know that Colonial era people used the pineapple as a symbol of welcome.
Are they connected?

Here is a link that is quite informative but contradicts what I thought. I think that the OP and others might find it interesting

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/20608...ront-Door-Say-

Last edited by sheena12; 07-03-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM

sheena12,

your house sounds beautiful.. i love old homes and often wonder about the color choices, stories behind symbols such as gargoyles, pineapples. and other stuff too.

i too heard pineapples were welcoming and gargoyles were used to scare people with bad intent away .. ive always seen lion statues by the door and i wonder whats the meaning behind that as well.

i am going to look all this up and repost the links i find!

thanks for bringing this thread to a whole new level! its very interesting!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Zebra stripe.

lol i love it!! thats a possible choice.. maybe ill keep the black and add a diagonal dalmatian detail to the bottom left corner and add a zebra detail to the top right corner. and that door could mean that "im wild (zebra) but i love dogs!" (dalmatian) lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House