Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM

581 posts, read 924,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtownfunlover View Post
I wonder what you mean when you mention the compressor "skipping cycles"

I have never heard of a condensor freezing up; it simply doesn't happen. Stick to your knitting.
If an Eskimo can know a lot about digging a hole inside an igloo for cold air to collapse into, I can know a little.
I have watched how a condenser frosts up. When it would do so, the compressor would cycle by disengaging and then the hot air passing through would melt the frost. Repeat over and over. The freon absorbs the heat in the condenser coil and then passes it either through an orifice or something which works like an orifice going from cold to hot as it expands. The hot freon then flows around into the evaporator coil where another fan cools it removing the heat. In this way, the heat from inside the house is removed to the outside.
I was recommending that he take apart the electrical connections and spray them with CRC electrical cleaner. I use that stuff to clean electrical connections on my computer.
I have had air conditioner condensers freeze over to where little air was passing out of the vents. To fix the problem, I turned the air conditioner to the fan setting for about five minutes. I know this was the problem because the air conditioner kept blowing cold continuously even though the setting was on fan.
It just takes the compressor to miss cycling to freeze up the condenser coil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:54 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You should never add bleach to your drainage system for your HVAC. Chlorine gas is highly corrosive and you will get chlorine gas when you mix it with the slug in your drainage system. I know that people have been saying to do this for a long time but it's not a good idea.

You should be using something like this:
Thanks.... more questions on cleaning to prevent clogging up:

My drain line doesn't go into a pan, but instead the tubing goes to a condensate pump directly which pumps the water to above grade and out thru the basement wall.

How should I clean that tubing (it's a mix of plastic clear tubing that connects to copper tubing)?

If I get the tablet, do I just add one to into the pump (there is always some water in there and it's pretty nasty)?? I'm wary of adding bleach into the pump since the bleach may degrade the plastic/rubber inside the pump.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:19 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
The drain line comes from the pan. There's a pan under the coil in the ductwork. That catches the condensate. The pan has a drain line that goes to the pump and then it's pumped to the outside.

The drain typically clogs up before the pump, not after.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:48 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Update: there was no clog and no broken machinery. The PVC pipe that was leaking was broken/cracked (I'm at work, not home so can't be more specific -- that's what my husband told me).

The repair was $175. Probably a $5 pipe at a big-box store, but we're hopelessly unhandy. I count myself fortunate.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 6,547 times
water comes out from air handler - please help.

The air handler is in basement with walk out door on south side. The outside AC Is on West side of the house.
I searched the internet and found some good suggestions, such as use shop-vac to suck water out from outside drain line. However I couldn't find the drain line outside. I had HVAC tech came. When he saw the pipe inside, he said the clog in the P-trap, so he cut the pipe close to P-trap , suck waster out and re-gule the pipe back. However it didn't unclog the drain.
I am going to try blow the air out from inside pipe. Any suggestion is appreciated

Old 09-04-2013, 03:51 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
I'm reading this a bit late so I hope this is some value. There is a small rag and duct tape where your condensate drain line leaves the pan on the outside of the evaporator coil box: that is NOT stock! I would think that might have part of the issue and/or a past issue. If the tape and rag are still there after the repair; ask the repair company about it!~

Old 09-04-2013, 05:16 PM

thanks for the suggestion.
"condensate drain" is the PVC line, correct? It connect to P-trap. There is no rag and duct tape around it, What do you mean "NOT stock" ? What needs to be done on that ?

The AC guy said he didn't know what to do. He left. I tried to blow the air , but didn't see the water come out.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 PM

How do I upload the picture ?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:36 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
YIPES: I'm sorry bluewater7777, I was referring to the OP's photo!
It would help if you could add pix. I think you have to use a third party online photo service. I don't know..someone here does though.
Where does the condensate line terminate if not out doors: at a bathroom sink drain?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM

The line went under concrete floor.
Will be any issue if you leave ac on with water drain out ?

Here is the pix.
Flickr: bluewater777778's Photostream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House