Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times

Advertisements

Will be remodeling a house in the next year or so (lol, have to buy it first). A lot of houses where I am looking do not have gas run in. I lived with an electric stove top - first the coil elements and then a flat glass top - for years and never had one that I liked.

Might as well move forward in technology, IF the tech is proven, so I am contemplating induction. If you have one - how long did it take to adjust, have you had problems with reliability or repair? I am aware that there are some pot issues, as far as types of materials that can be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default I would go for it

1. This is a great site http://theinductionsite.com/

2. I spent a lot of time researching induction cooktops. Went with gas because:
a. initial cost
b. gas is cheap in Denver and electricity (price doubles in the Summer) is not

3. If electric was the only option, I would go with induction. In a heartbeat.
Just make sure you have a separate 50 amp circuit installed.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
My main concern would be availability of qualified repair company nearby.

The fact that only one person replied on this active forum means it still is not a very commonplace technology, and you might end up having to wait long and pay a premium for repairs.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Default good point, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
My main concern would be availability of qualified repair company nearby.
the OP lives in the middle of nowhere. So, all repairs are problematic.
I would suggest the OP look at buying the induction hob from a local dealer who can perform repairs.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:10 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
the OP lives in the middle of nowhere. So, all repairs are problematic.
I would suggest the OP look at buying the induction hob from a local dealer who can perform repairs.
Lol, my next house will be on the other side of the mountains from my present house, slightly less in the middle of nowhere. The upscale community of nearby Ashland tends to make the higher-end stuff available, so I am not worried about finding an induction hob locally.

I am worried about the 50amps, though. My plasma cutter and welder in the shop don't need a 50amp service, which implies that electric use could be steep for induction. Need to do a bit more research on cost and usage before I go for this. Most of the cost comparisons I see for induction are comparing them to a huge commercial Wolf/Viking style range, which I don't have now and don;t really need.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Default One page explains it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I am worried about the 50amps
http://theinductionsite.com/electricity.shtml

Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
We recently got an induction range after getting a few very high bids for having a gas line run. I still prefer gas but the induction top is very nice. It's night and day when compared with traditional electric. Heating quickly is great but the best thing IMO is the control you get with it. So far, I'm very impressed.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
I've had an induction stove since 2009. (GE Profile range.) I was specifically interested in induction and at the time, the GE range was one of the few available in the states and it was highly rated. It's pretty impressive how quickly it boils water, even large pots. I'm not a big time cook, but the stovetop suits our purposes.

We needed to purchase all new pots/pans, but that was no biggy from our standpoint. Costco (Kirkland) sold a set that was suitable for induction at a reasonable price (if a magnet sticks to the bottom, it will work with induction.) I eventually added some All-Clad d5 pieces over the years.

We'll be doing an addition to our home within the next couple of years which includes a new kitchen and we definitely plan to have an integrated cooktop with both induction & gas. (We're in the process of converting to gas now.)

Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Put induction in the kitchen about a year ago. It has been 100% a good experience. It took a couple of months to get used to the nuances of cooking with induction, but it is not anything all that difficult.

Reliability has not been an issue.

We did have to replace several pots and pans (bought an all-clad set which was several hundred dollars) . Not all stainless steel is made the same. Take a magnet with you to check your existing cookware and use to verify that new stuff has a magnetic steel component.

Heats quickly. Cools quickly. Completely adjustable. No issues what so ever.

On the internet, and ONLY on the internet (retail store never heard of them), you can buy an 'induction converter' which looks like a thin pancake griddle which converts your induction to 'normal' heating surface. Amazon.com: Max Burton 6010 8-Inch Induction Interface Disk with Heat-Proof Handle: Kitchen & Dining Get one, and all your existing pots and pans will be usable.

I don't know about the 50 amp breaker.....not sure we went that high, but it is a four burner top and whatever it is works fine with a 40 amp breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House