Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times

Advertisements

Handy work is easier than you think, there are tonnes of YouTube, forums and tutorials around. Theres no real excuse to not attempt at least the intermediate stuff these days. I was never taught by me oulfella eithet, I do what I said above. Youd be surprised how easy it can be, and satisfying too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 04:52 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Handy work is easier than you think, there are tonnes of YouTube, forums and tutorials around. Theres no real excuse to not attempt at least the intermediate stuff these days. I was never taught by me oulfella eithet, I do what I said above. Youd be surprised how easy it can be, and satisfying too.
I vote for this. Think of all the women that haven't been taught because they 'shouldn't do that'. The internet and library are amazing for information. Even better to find someone that is willing to show you the basics. It's never too late to ask for help.

Plus most people that think they are handy....are mostly just not afraid to try.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
I'm the handywoman in our house. Part necessity when I bought a fixer upper, part to save money, part I just like to know how to do stuff, and part because the internet exists and I can look up the right way to do things.

I do know my limits and when best to hire.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I notice mostly all men who are handy have women or are married,it seems to be a trait that comes in handy no matter what
Funny, I found single people just weren't as dedicated. They were always worried about what was after work. I do wish I was handy with my wife more though?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,789 times
Quote:
I notice mostly all men who are handy have women or are married,it seems to be a trait that comes in handy no matter what
I'll admit that handy is a nice trait but not a deal breaker I tend to be a more DiY type so it works out well, but we both agree most of the time to call a contractor or handyman because:

1. After putting together a few pieces of Ikea furniture we realized these sorts of things bring out the worst in us. If we were to take on a project larger than installing a new mailbox there is a 99% guarantee someone is sleeping on the couch.
2. Contrators normally do better work than us.
3. With work, we have a limited amount of time to invest and we prefer to spend that time on other things.

The male friends we have are all in relationships, so no worries there.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,520 posts, read 6,327,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I'm the handywoman in our house. Part necessity when I bought a fixer upper, part to save money, part I just like to know how to do stuff, and part because the internet exists and I can look up the right way to do things.

I do know my limits and when best to hire.
Im the handy one in our house too. Im older now so I don't do as much DIY as when I was younger.
I hire out more than I used to now. Even if you don't do it yourself its good to know how so you can keep an eye on them and make sure theyre doing it right.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 07-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: We be wenches with wrenches. :D:cool:

Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
I wonder why that is. Perhaps with technology and other things developing people have moved further away from manual labor...
It is "mental labor" and "hard work" they are moving away from! (Young people.)

They want instant gratification and are no longer willing to take the time to read instructions, a how-to-book, or take the time to learn to do something right.

Back in the 90's, people would first read an entire book on how to do something themselves, THEN ask questions on the internet. These days they don't bother reading anything and just want someone to tell them what to do.

For example they will have a problem with their car, will post the problem on the internet, then expect someone to tell them which specific part to replace! (In real life you need to troubleshoot and test things to find the problem...)

Old 07-13-2013, 08:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
What do you think the percentage of men who are not handy around the house are? I feel like I'm in the minority(again)because I'm not handy this way. Strange because my father and brother are,but I lost my dad at an early age so I was never taught either.
I can do small things like paint or mess with some plumbing,but for the most part I'm not really motivated to make it a hobby. And it sux too because we're no longer renting and are homeowners,there are some things to be done but my hesitation is that I just don't have the knack for it and would prefer more of a pro do get it done right...

The best things to do is to hire someone who actually knows what they are doing and can get things done right the first time. It is less expensive and takes less time. My brother is not real handy around the house or with the vehicles. My husband is better however, I still hire a lot of things done by others simply because my husband is gone working more weeks out of the year than he is home. Honestly I don't have the luxury to wait until he has time to be home and get things done. There are some things that just cannot wait.

The fact that you recognize that you are not that handy around the house is nothing to be ashamed of. One of these days you may want to take the time to learn more but it certainly is not required.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Out of everyone I know and excluding myself (20s - early 30s), I'd say 20% MAYBE. This is anything more involved than working a paintbrush or planting shrubs. Cut that down to 0-5% if you're talking about things that are a bit more involved like adding or removing a wall, relocating plumbing, hanging a door, or replacing a window.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The problem with hiring someone is it still takes time and often, more time than just doing the repair.

I would say from work that most are not... either by design or ability.

Anyone that is motivated has a wealth of available information unfathomable just a few years ago.

Tools use to be great sellers at yard sales... not so much in my area... Things like Dad's table saw or mechanic tools often go begging.

All my nieces received tool kits from me... one at age 9 asked for a Milwaukee cordless drill/driver set and after getting the ok from her parents... that is what she got for Christmas.

The girls are 8, 10 and 12 and love to put things together and even love it more when their Dad has to ask permission to use their tools!

The oldest called me when she was 7 or 8 asking me to come over because the washer was broken... the water wouldn't drain. Told her I would be right over, we siphoned out the water and and found a baby's sock had jammed the pump... she still is proud of fixing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House