Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times

Advertisements

I don't know why I'm tempted to respond to this silly discussion with the following thought. It is directly related for sure. But here goes anyway:

How many adult men here would have absolutely no idea how to change a tire should they get a flat?

I guess since our society has the big orange and big blue stores within 10 miles of 90% of every United States Resident, it makes it easy and actually fun for someone who knows nothing about home repairs and remodeling to try and DIY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,393,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I don't know why I'm tempted to respond to this silly discussion with the following thought. It is directly related for sure. But here goes anyway:

How many adult men here would have absolutely no idea how to change a tire should they get a flat
I wasn't aware that it'd be considered a 'silly discussion'(as compared to what?) It's actually something that exists that most people don't think about...

That reminds me though,I've noticed around where I live it's mostly blue collar/contractor types...yet fixing cars is something that seems foreign to them. Strange, one would think that mechanics are mechanics..

One thing I am though is more knowledgeable about cars than houses...probably because I've been driving longer than I've been a homeowner. So I can salvage some of my 'man card' there;

Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,800,311 times
I can do a few things around the house and my dad was great in helping me do stuff when he was still living. But, my problem is that you need certain tools to do plumbing and or electrical work that I don't have. And it is so frustrating to get in a jam and have to call the pro anyway. Even though I religiously watch This Old House and Hometime, I still called a plumber to install our new Kohler toilets. I am fortunate to have the money to pay these guys but still don't want to get involved with it anymore. Even painting, which I used to do all the time, I hire out. Just easier. BTW, I can change a flat but the last time I did, I threw my back out. LOL That is why we have AAA. :-)

Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Between my husband and I - we consider it an accomplishment if we can change a complicated light bulb (like a tiny 2 pin halogen without breaking off a pin).

By the time things need to replaced/repaired - even a shower head - they're usually old. The last time we tried to change a shower head - we broke the shower arm (the fixture was "frozen"). When the plumber came over - he said homeowners do it all the time.

We had a new kitchen faucet installed last week. Could we do it? Maybe. If we bought some new tools - spent 3 days on the project after spending a week on the internet learning how to disconnect/connect faucets and garbage disposals in front of faucets - and were willing to go to our doctors after throwing out both of our backs (spending even 10 minutes on our backs in the cabinet under the sink isn't our idea of a good time - and our backs agree). The plumber did everything in about 45 minutes. He charged us $125 IIRC.

At ages 65 and 68 - we are not very nimble on ladders and are scared of many power tools (with good cause - even my BIL - who works as a home handyman for a living - managed to mangle up his finger pretty good a couple of weeks ago when he was using a router - his ER visit cost more than we spend on home repair people in a normal year).

My husband used to work on his cars when he was really young. But our car today looks like a computer with a gas tank - and we certainly don't have the necessary equipment to diagnose much less fix any problems. OTOH - I am pretty good at setting up electronics systems (I disconnected and reconnected our home AV system a couple of weeks ago when we had the house repainted - the only problem I had was dealing with 12 small knobs and the speaker wires for them - a dexterity/vision problem more than anything else).

Neither my husband nor I think less of the other because we're not handy. We appreciate the fact that each of us worked - made money - saved money - and now - in retirement - can afford to hire professionals. We do have a "home handyman" who was the "super" on our house when we originally built it. He makes a living working for people like us. We figure we're helping the economy.

FWIW - I think the only area where we really shine is very simple jobs that require obsessive attention to detail - things you really can't pay people to do. Like one year we repainted our exterior light fixtures. They were expensive - we like them a lot - and the original paint had started to flake off. My husband used sandpaper and a dremel tool to get rid of all the bad paint and "prep" the fixtures. Then we hung them up - and spray painted them - 2 coats (we fashioned a spray painting place where we could hang the fixtures out of some old wire plant accessories and string). Better than new. It probably took us 30+ hours to do the job (my husband spent most of that time). But we saved a fair amount of money (> $1000 - what new fixtures would have cost) - and wound up with a great result. And it was a great project for July in Florida . Robyn

Old 07-13-2013, 04:45 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,393,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Between my husband and I - we consider it an accomplishment if we can change a complicated light bulb (like a tiny 2 pin halogen without breaking off a pin).

By the time things need to replaced/repaired - even a shower head - they're usually old. The last time we tried to change a shower head - we broke the shower arm (the fixture was "frozen"). When the plumber came over - he said homeowners do it all the time.

We had a new kitchen faucet installed last week. Could we do it? Maybe. If we bought some new tools - spent 3 days on the project after spending a week on the internet learning how to disconnect/connect faucets and garbage disposals in front of faucets - and were willing to go to our doctors after throwing out both of our backs (spending even 10 minutes on our backs in the cabinet under the sink isn't our idea of a good time - and our backs agree). The plumber did everything in about 45 minutes. He charged us $125 IIRC.
I've done light bulbs,shower heads,and toilet handles so far...but when it came to bigger things I came in a little under par and had to call in pros

Old 07-13-2013, 05:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
...Anyone that is motivated has a wealth of available information unfathomable just a few years ago...
People can go on line and try to figure out how to write their own wills and the like. But - unless they're young/single/without kids/don't have any money/etc. (the legal equivalent of changing a light bulb) - most would be better off with a professional than trying to DIY. Because it isn't what you think you know - it's not knowing what you should know to do a job properly.

I think the internet is great for lots of stuff. Like getting recipes. Worst that can happen there is you wind up having to toss a lousy meal. But things that can cause fires - or flooding in your house (or winding up with entirely intended consequences if you or a loved one dies in the absence of a proper will)? I think there's a place for professionals in this world - in many areas. As much stuff as there is on line - the pros know it and 100x more - and actually know how to do stuff (whether with their hands or with words). FWIW - the area that causes me to shake my head the most when it comes to "internet learning" is medicine - an area where the adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" seems to flourish. Robyn

Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
I had this neighbor that was very well educated and literally didn't know which end of screwdriver you held. Him and his friend couldn't get a dryer out of the basement with handcart and ratchet strap. That would have been funny if it wasn't for all the work I had to do myself becsue this was after a flood.... " Just get the fbomb out the way".

My favorite story with him was when he called me up in panic becsue a pipe burst in his basement, he had no clue how to turn the water off. If the SHTF people like him are going to be screwed, might as well just shoot yourself.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:05 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
People can go on line and try to figure out how to write their own wills and the like. But - unless they're young/single/without kids/don't have any money/etc. (the legal equivalent of changing a light bulb) - most would be better off with a professional than trying to DIY. Because it isn't what you think you know - it's not knowing what you should know to do a job properly.

I think the internet is great for lots of stuff. Like getting recipes. Worst that can happen there is you wind up having to toss a lousy meal. But things that can cause fires - or flooding in your house (or winding up with entirely intended consequences if you or a loved one dies in the absence of a proper will)? I think there's a place for professionals in this world - in many areas. As much stuff as there is on line - the pros know it and 100x more - and actually know how to do stuff (whether with their hands or with words). FWIW - the area that causes me to shake my head the most when it comes to "internet learning" is medicine - an area where the adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" seems to flourish. Robyn
In another life I was a consumer arbitrator and have seen first hand a number of times pros have screwed up a car repair or home improvement projects.

Sometimes it was as simple as cutting corners, sometimes sloppy and sometimes outright dishonest.

A competent handyman or pro is certainly an option... just wish having a license would guarantee a quality job...

Most of the contractor issues were because the "Pro" didn't follow manufacturers installation or procedures...like a high end Designer II solariam floor was full of wrinkles and air pockets... the pro with 15 years experience decided to use the adhesive he had on hand rather than buy what was required.

As to the net... last weekend the Heater Core in my vehicle started to leak inside the car... local shop ballparked it at $500 minimum to R & R.

I looked it up on the net and found several step by step U-tube Videos of the process... after watching one of the 10 minute presentations... I decided to give it a try.

I went with OEM and the shop quoted after market. OEM was $90 for the part and made in USA and aftermarket cost $40 and made in China.

Total job, from start to finish with a few basic hand tools... 45 minutes.

A simple do it yourself project is entry locks... for the cost of a locksmith rekey... a home owner can buy a new lock often of comparable or better quality.

Another is replacing a window pane... a few weeks ago, I simply did not have time when a tenant called about a broken window... I called a shop that does quality work... he was booked and said he could be there at 11 the next morning...

At 11:15 I get a call saying he can't do the job because the tenant is difficult and won't let him in the house... he wants me to drive over which I can't... that evening I go by and pop out the window from the outside and have the hardware sell me a $25 piece of glass and done... glass man was going to charge $140 which would have been OK if I didn't have to be involved...

I spent $375 for a professional 35' hand held cable snake to clear drains... typical rooter house call runs a minum of $95 up to $150... for the cost of a couple of service calls I bought the machine and can clear a drain on my schedule vs waiting around for someone to show up...

Like the little hand held so much, I invested in a Spartan 300 professional Cable Machine which set me back $2500... it too has paid for itself over a couple of years and the conveniece factor is priceless... then again my brother says now that you have the machine... no excuse not to get dirty which is another topic...

When I was around 10 my Dad gave me Ortho's Home Improvement Encyclopedia and Reader's Digest Home Repair... still have both on my book shelf. The information is there if one has the motivation.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-14-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,775,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
As to the net... last weekend the Heater Core in my vehicle started to leak inside the car... local shop ballparked it at $500 minimum to R & R.

I looked it up on the net and found several step by step U-tube Videos of the process... after watching one of the 10 minute presentations... I decided to give it a try.
I fixed a lot of things off of information on the internet. I had a nearly new coffee maker making steam, there is tube in the bottom of the reservoir that goes to the heating element. Inside the tube is small check valve you can squeeze out like tube of tooth paste..... you'd never know that was there. It was partially blocked.

Another thing I fixed was Sony Trinitron monitor. Cost for the resistor was like 2 cents but it took about 3 hours to get to it.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM

2,500 posts, read 6,294,226 times
I know someone whose husband wont let her hire anything done. Everything he touches is half finished and wonky. For example. He installed Pergo in the living room. Its been two years now. He still hasn't replaced the baseboard or the door trim. Theres a gap along the wall cause he hasn't done the trim cuts. Meanwhile hes moved on other projects. I don't know how she stands it. I would have done it myself or had it done by now.

I would much rather have a non handy man than one who thinks he is but isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House