Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Maybe you should invest in a level...?
We have a level - a couple in fact. But we're like greg42 - that towel bar would never be straight.

FWIW - the levels are great in terms of re-setting our planter barrels outside (they tend to sink here and there during the rainy season - and when mulch decomposes). Of course - planter barrels aren't towel bars (a few degrees off and you're still ok ).

Also FWIW - I've never heard of a shovel bur. What is it (couldn't find it on Google)? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSkater View Post
I think I am married to the only man who HATES going to Lowes or Home Depot. Any time I need him to go with me he sulks like a little kid being dragged along, and spends all of his time checking Twitter or email.

This is frustrating. My father and brother are architects. Growing up, my dad showed me a few things, and I was always interested in what he was doing. I can do minor things - put up pictures, paint, a little bit of electrical. I would love if someone could teach me how to do some of the more major stuff (like changing out cabinets and counters, tile a bathroom shower).

When we lived in a 2-story house in FL, and there was a hurricane warning, I had to practically beg him to try to climb up the extension ladder to put shutters up. Our next FL house was a single story for that reason alone.

I will say that he can cook, and I stink at that...when he travels I eat cereal for dinner.
You are perfectly free to attend courses on how to do things in your house. At least where I live - they give them at places like Home Depot. So what's stopping you?

As for your husband not getting up on an extension ladder and putting up shutters on a 2 story house - why didn't you do it if you think it's so easy? My husband and I only have 2 firm rules about work around the house. We won't get on a ladder unless it's a regular ladder and both legs are on solid surfaces (which means in the house or on the driveway). Extension ladders on dirt are dangerous. And we won't use a chain saw. Chain saws are dangerous. More people were injured during Hurricane Andrew using extension ladders and chain saws than by the hurricane itself. Maybe people who use these things every day are better using them than we are - but we're not talking about a crooked towel bar if we screw up a job using these things. More like a broken neck or a missing finger.

I happen to think that getting up on an extension ladder to put up hurricane shutters on a 2 story house is crazy for an average person. Get something that's not life-threatening when you have to use it (we've been in Florida for 40+ years - had accordion shutters in Miami and now have impact windows here). Robyn

Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My God Daughter always asked what projects I'm working on and if she can help... really brings out my smile... just turned 12.

A Realtor friend called me... actually it was his wife.

They bought a short sale and all the smokes are chirping... 5 hardwired with battery back-up.

Tell him to change out the batteries and she calls back saying they don't have batteries???

I drive over and let myself in via the lock box and proceeded to replace ten 9-volt batteries... two per detector.

He is very successful and full time in the business for 25+ years... can't change a smoke detector battery...

Maybe it is just a problem with batteries... they came home from vacation and the A/C didn't work... he called a repairman and was told it would be two days because of the heat wave... you guessed it... battery in thermostat needed to be replaced.
Did you replace the smoke detector batteries with 10 year batteries? You can buy them now. We replaced all of ours with the 10 year "flavor" about 3 years ago - and I put them on diary to replace in 9 years. This is actually a job we can do (even though we have to get up on our 8 foot ladder to do it). Still - I'd rather do it every 9 years than once a year . Robyn

Old 07-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Good points, I let my old GF's little girl "help" me with a projects. I gave her a hammer. The mother goes, "I don't want her to hit her fingers"... my reply was "She IS going to hit her fingers." Like anything else it's a learning experience and knowing your limits and a little bit of pain finding out what they are never hurt anyone.
Why do you have to hit your fingers? I'm clumsy - but don't hit my fingers with a hammer. Robyn

Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I can design or troubleshoot the most complex electrical control circuitry but if i screw a bulb in and it works i want accolades.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The key with something like a towel bar is to put the marks on the wall instead of trying to level it, hold it and then screw it in. Use a light pencil mark.

Having tools is only part of equation, using them correctly is the major part. You can hand someone something as simple as a shovel bur there is right way and a wrong way to use a shovel. Same thing with a hammer. Grip it on the on the end, it's not a bat.
LOL Dude what did you think I was referring to? Of course you have to put marks on the wall. I'm telling you that no matter how much I know about how to do it and how to use the tools, I can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on something like a towel bar. Not always, but that type of install is one that has frustrated me more than once no matter how much care I have taken. It's not an uncommon issue at all, for otherwise handy or knowledgable people to have an achilles heel somewhere. Julia Child said she could never get toast right. I guess it would be a problem for me if I were a carpenter or something by trade! But I'm just a layperson who tries to get some things done myself.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Also FWIW - I've never heard of a shovel bur. What is it (couldn't find it on Google)? Robyn
You've never seen shovel bur before, I have a picture of one for you:

I never learned to type though I have been using computers since about 83 or 84. It doesn't bother me the keys are missing but I can't watch the screen and type at the same time so if I have a typo I don't spot it when I make it.

Last edited by thecoalman; 08-01-2020 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
More like a broken neck or a missing finger.
Be really hard to cut your finger off with a chainsaw, leg and foot injuries are common. Kickback is problem too but the brake is usually going to be automatically engaged by your forearm when that happens. Those chaps you see loggers wearing are designed to shred when they come in contact with the saw stopping the saw.

If I were venture to guess most injuries from chainsaws are not from the saw but from the tree. There is a lot of weight involved and if you cut the wrong thing or cut it the wrong way you're dead or injured.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Why do you have to hit your fingers? I'm clumsy - but don't hit my fingers with a hammer. Robyn
Well Robyn I distinctly remember hitting my thumb numerous times when I was 3 or 4. Still happens today and I doubt there is anyone that still doesn't do it occasionally even if they are a professional. Of course if you're hitting the nail with little birdie taps then you might be ok.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
My husband used to work on his cars when he was really young. But our car today looks like a computer with a gas tank - and we certainly don't have the necessary equipment to diagnose much less fix any problems.
2003. That was the first time I lifted the hood on a new 2004 car and realized I couldn't even change the spark plugs. About the only thing I could do was change some of the fluids. I'm sure had we looked at new cars earlier, I would have realized this sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House