Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a renovated home with the old hardwood (not veneer or laminate) floors refinished to a beautiful shine. We have a few rugs (still need more) and I want to get more, but not in a rush. My imminent problem is my phoo phoo dog (ornery and scruffy long haired Jack Russell with a wicked attitude). He's 11 and is having a terrible time sliding on the stairs. I'll take him in for a pedi-pedi (as opposed to mani-pedi) and it will help a little, however, something has to be done with the stairs.

I've looked at stair treads, both the bull nose and the steps only and can't bring myself to do it. I'm willing to rush to get the stair carpeting first, but am really kind of lost. I don't know that I want to go thru the expense of an Oriental when I am in the early stages of making decorating decisions. Dogs usually do better with a cut pile, as opposed to a loop, like Berber. I'm thinking I want a low to medium pile in the center of the stair, bound and exposing the wood. Has anyone see this done with a non Oriental carpet? What about with rods? But again, have never seen this with a non Oriental carpet. I have four sets of stairs that require this attention........looking for a pleasing to the eye solution, that's not going to have me make a financial commitment I'm not ready for (Oriental).

Thoughts & suggestions welcome......and just because this isn't in the pet forum doesn't mean he doesn't come first. I've just happened to nix some of the ugly fixes.

TYIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Four SETS of stair? How big a house is this? Can't you just do the least conspicuous stairway?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,843 times
Here's a link to some pics that have stairs covered with rods and carpet that aren't all oriental. Maybe this can give you some other thoughts to carpet ideas. link: Stair Rods Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

Here's a link to make a stair runner out of wall-to-wall carpet or remnants: How to Make a Wall-to-Wall Carpet Into a Stair Runner | Home Guides | SF Gate

Old 07-13-2013, 06:08 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Here's a link to some pics that have stairs covered with rods and carpet that aren't all oriental. Maybe this can give you some other thoughts to carpet ideas. link: Stair Rods Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel, and Decor

Here's a link to make a stair runner out of wall-to-wall carpet or remnants: How to Make a Wall-to-Wall Carpet Into a Stair Runner | Home Guides | SF Gate
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You won't believe the garbage that kept coming up in my searches.....well maybe you would, it's amazing what floats to the top. These links have amazing ideas that just go forever and are exactly what I was looking for. I am going to be lost forever.

Chet, this is an older, Williamsburg style TH community with the 2-3 foot firewalls, 4 foot hallways, crown molding (original, but rehabbed) everywhere. I have 4 sets of 6 stairs each. It's only 3 levels, but the unlike most TH that have a steep set of 13 - 14 stairs to the bedroom level (and from basement to LR level), I have 2 sets of 6, with a 8 x 4 foot landing in between. The landing between the basement and the LR/DR level is the entry way.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
At one time you could buy stacks of tread-shaped pieces of bound carpet that you would tack just to the tread of each stair. I used those when I had slippery hardwood treads (and an active little terrier!). They were fairly non-obvious, plus the risers and the side edges of the treads were still the lovely wood. Perhaps you could ask a carpet store about those?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:30 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Someone asked this question sometime back-

There is a product (I posted in my response), I can't remember/find the name but it was basically a clear polyurethane that had a grit in it for grip- made specifically for stairs.

You could retain the look of wood tread stairs without the "slip&slide" effect.

Check that- found it:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22084751-post2.html

Old 11-29-2013, 10:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
The things we do for our pup…DIY Stair Treads | Bella Carina

They also make rubber backed stair runners that may work for you. Let me know how it turns out. If we ever have another kid, I would like a stair solution.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
We put a baby gate on our stairs.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
The things we do for our pup…DIY Stair Treads | Bella Carina

They also make rubber backed stair runners that may work for you. Let me know how it turns out. If we ever have another kid, I would like a stair solution.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:12 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post

That first link gives excellent ideas on how a lovely historic house can look good with non-Oriental carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House