Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,931,448 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a central vacuum system in their home? I am interested in learning about the pro's of having this system. I know one pro will be not lugging a vacuum up and down stairs...I saw a few exhibits at the home show back in April....peeked my interest.

Can anyone share their experience installing a system in an existing home? What does it involve? I was thinking about this during the building process, unfortunately Centex Homes does not allow outside contractors to do anything to the home while they are building, so even if I wanted to at the time of framing, I would not have been able to install one.

I invested in a canister vacuum a little over a year ago, with a powerhead and attachments, etc...that will do fine for the hardwood, wall-to-wall carpet, and stairs in the new home, but was thinking of purchasing a second vacuum for the upstairs...maybe an upright since its all carpet....this way I don't have to carry a vacuum up and down stairs...hope this doesn't sound lazy... any thoughts?

Is a central vacuum worth the money?

Last edited by nynraleigh; 05-19-2007 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 08:07 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,917,274 times
No. We put in in our current house. We put in an Electrolux and it works excellent. However the hose is cumbersome to store and carry around. We're buildind a new house now and will buy a Dyson upright.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:29 PM

123 posts, read 484,691 times
I dont' know anything about the central vac but if you decide against it and buy an upright, I highly recommend the Oreck XL 21. I have one and it is SO lightweight, quiet, and feels almost self-propelled. We have two dogs that shed a ton and the vacuum is wonderful for that. Love, love, love my Oreck.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:43 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,664,846 times
Our house already had a central vac installed. I cannot live without it now. We store our hose in a utility closet with a large hook specifically for it, and I never find that a hassle in anyway. I find the suction is amazing and all the different settings etc, tis great for our hardwood floors ceramic tiles, furniture. I central vac every other day and only have to change the bag maybe every 3 months. I believe ours is a nu tone. The collection basket is in our garage so very convenient for car cleaning etc also.
Personally I love them.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,404 times
We had central vac in our previous house and never used it. I wouldn't put one in if I were building either. I have a vacuum for each floor (3).

Old 05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,322,092 times
Most homes in my neighborhood are pre-plumbed for a central vacuum, including mine. We never opted to put in the unit in the garage to actual drive the system, but several of my neighbors have. In general, they have been happy. It lets them suction out the dust and dirt from the house without having any of it re-deposit within the home. Although I've considered completing the system, I haven't put one in, I can't really comment on its usefulness.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 PM

149 posts, read 772,464 times
ditto. Had it in my last house, hate it, never used it and eventually had the canister removed to make way for anew water heater. I wouldn't bother getting it.
The hose is too long to drag around the house. Unless you have a really quality system, the suction is terrible. Think about it, how could a hose that long have good suction????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We had central vac in our previous house and never used it. I wouldn't put one in if I were building either. I have a vacuum for each floor (3).

Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 PM

402 posts, read 2,206,472 times
loved it, loved it, loved it. Now...miss it, miss it, miss it. Guess it's just your preferences, right?

Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM

997 posts, read 4,631,483 times
I have one. Don't use it either. It is cumbersome to store the hose in the closet and have to lug it around with you. I prefer the regular "good old" vacuum.

The only pro is the canister is in the garage and I use the hose to clean the car. Hardly worth the cost in my opinion.

On a professional note, I never have heard a client say that they need to have or prefer a home with central vac.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,900,389 times
Used to have one. It was ok getting dust off tile/wood floors. Didn't work that great on carpet. If I really wanted to vacuum the carpet, I did the central vac first then did it over with an upright. It didn't work well on animal hair in carpet at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House