Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times

Advertisements

Supposedly it helps cut down around 50% of your energy costs for heating and cooling by using the earth's stable temperature in the deep dirt and water pumps to circulate. Anyone know if these are good systems and if I can use them on an outdoor pond to prevent freezing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
A client is an architect. He built a new house and installed geo. He loves it. Central Iowa. Not sure about the pond bit.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Anyone have experience with them?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
My ex and I put one into a house using well water for the geothermal transfer. It worked fine and was cheap to heat/cool. But very expensive to put in. I don't know how long it lasted but heat pumps are notorious for not lasting a long time (5-10 yrs) - we only had the house for 4 years. If we had dug in the pipes for ground transfer, it would have been even more expensive to put in. He dug a big pond for it but it never filled. We did have discharge water at 55F so the dog always had unfrozen water.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 PM

I guess with the short life of the pumps, I will stay away from them...thanks for ur input

Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
The short pump life is a direct result of not having the system maintained at least once a year...even better is twice. I don't know where 5-10 years comes from about compressor life spans but I have seen many heat pumps last well over 20 years. A exceptional instillation is a must if you want your system to work correctly and last a long time.

Remember when you ask question and get negative responses (not saying anyones complaints aren't justified) You don't usually get responses from the folks that are happy.....only the complaint.

There are Geothermal systems rated up to 30 SEER. To give you an idea on cost your $100 month electric bill for a 10 SEER system would be closer to $33 for the 30 SEER system.

You can read about geothermal here:
WaterFurnace - Smarter from the Ground Upâ„¢
Des Moines Geothermal Heat Pump - Bell Brothers (http://www.bellbrothers.com/geothermal.html - broken link)
Geosyndicate (http://www.geosyndicate.com/GHP/pages/heatpump.html - broken link)

How big is the pond? It takes 1 btu to heat up 1 lb of water 1ºF. If the pond is lets say 20,000 gallons you multiply 20,000 by 8.33 for the weight which comes to 167,000 lbs. So you would need a system that over comes that probably something in the neighborhood of 200,000 btu's which is huge. You would be better off using other means to heat a pond that size. If it's a smaller pond it might not be to bad.....It would just depend on the actual size of it.

I'm not saying Tesaje didn't do everything correctly just to clarify that. Each has their own experience.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Not sure where you plan on trying to keep your pond from freezing, evilnewbie, but in southern Ontario the preferred method of keeping ponds or mooring areas clear of ice is air bubblers.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:36 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We have had geothermal for 15 years in NE Ohio. The furnace brand is "Waterfurnace". Our coil runs down the side of our lot, although it could have been buried straight down, or submerged in our pond. (Our pond is about 12' deep in the center and does not freeze down there). The system is all electric forced air heating and cooling. Our monthly budget billing has been in the $160. to $185. range for 2800 sq ft house. We LOVE it. Never had a bit of trouble with it..we have an annual maintenance check. I think it cost about $3000. extra to have it installed for new contruction, and I have heard it is more expensive to put it into and existing house.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
I shud have been clearer. I didn't keep the geothermal house long enuf to know about the durability. The bad experience with heat pumps I had was with a regular one. So it may be different with the geothermal one. An extra $3k sounds about what we paid extra for ours but we didn't do digging to lay pipes in the earth. It was really important to get an installer who knows what they are doing with it.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:08 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I don't know how long it lasted but heat pumps are notorious for not lasting a long time (5-10 yrs) - we only had the house for 4 years.
I don't know where your getting your information from, but I have a Geothermal system that's 17 years old and they can last up to 30 years or more. You may be mixing up your heating systems. A heat pump takes the heat out of the air (even freezing air has some heat in it) and uses that heat to heat your home. The life expenctancy for a heat pump is only about 15 years tops. A geothermal heat pump extracts the heat from water and can last 30 years or more. The only thing that can damage a geothermal system is the water that goes into it, there have been problems where the ground water that was used for the geothermal system was corrosive in some way that lead problems with the system. If the well water in your area is not good for a geothermal system, then you should go with a close loop system.

As for perventing a pond from freezing, the return water from my system feeds some ponds, so when the system is on, there is always running water going into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House