Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
You might just have to suck it up and figure you can't win every battle. Our next door neighbor's home is painted blue - no way would our HOA have permitted that. We don't know how they pulled it off. There's nothing I can do but they are nice people so I just blow it off.
Why is it a concern to you that they painted their house blue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 02:48 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Why is it a concern to you that they painted their house blue?
The rest of the community complies to certain architectural guidelines. Having one house completely standing out looks bad. It's a light blue, sky blue. The remainder of the homes are various earth tones.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
People complain about things that really don't concern them. It's kind of funny.

Some people want the one house that stands out.
Some people want high trees and bushes.
It doesn't sound like they are slobs or leaving garbage around their yards. Why care so much? Maybe they do it to make your house look better. If you care that much, you move to an HOA that regulates all of these minor details.

Ugly, and he still made bank. BTW-His house didn't impact values of anyone else around him: Park Slope

Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
The rest of the community complies to certain architectural guidelines. Having one house completely standing out looks bad. It's a light blue, sky blue. The remainder of the homes are various earth tones.
It would seem that house also complied, or else the HOA would have not approved it. I love to see color in the lands of boring beige houses.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I live in the country. I've got a neighbor who religiously mows his grass and trims. I don't. I try to keep the grass down to where it doesn't harbor pests, but gasoline costs money and it takes time, especially when you are mowing a couple of acres regularly. Also, with that amount of mowing on rough land, I regularly have to buy mowers because of breakdowns.

If anything, I want my property value to be LOWER not higher. I'm not trying to flip my property, and a lower valuation means lower taxes.

Here is the game that everyone else plays:

I just bought a rock for $100,000, I'm now a proud rock owner. WHAT a status symbol. I'm in high cotton!
I enjoy the rock and I want it to look nice, so I'll buy some rock polish for $10,000
A year has passed, and I need to buy more rock polish
My neighbors are now impressed at how shiny my rock is
The taxman just came by and congratulated me on my shiny rock
He said it is now worth $200,000, so instead of paying $5,000 in taxes on my rock, I'll be paying $10,000 in taxes. Wheee!
My rock now costs $20,000 per year in rock polish and taxes. Hmmm.
I have to insure my rock, so I pay another $10,000 in rock insurance. Boy, insurance is expensive here.
Isn't it WONDERFUL that since I have lived here five years my rock has appreciated in value to $200,000?
If I sell my rock, after I've paid the closing costs and realtor, I can take away $80,000 profit - free and clear as long as I buy another rock within a year.
With financial thinking like mine, as a proud rock owner, we could start a bank!

Someone who pays out non-productive money for years on end and then calls their inflation a "profit" has rocks in their head. They are fun to watch though, getting all upset about the proper settings for their rocks.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It would seem that house also complied, or else the HOA would have not approved it.

I am pretty sure he just painted his house without getting approval. If so, he may have been issued some sort of fine - not sure.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure he just painted his house without getting approval. If so, he may have been issued some sort of fine - not sure.
If your county has court records online and you're really curious, you can look it up.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
I have a powder blue house, but I trim my bushes.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:27 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Maybe the neighbor has a physical limitation preventing them from maintaining the berm, and trimming the hedges. The rest of the yard is maintained, so maybe there is something else going on.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Maybe the neighbor has a physical limitation preventing them from maintaining the berm, and trimming the hedges. The rest of the yard is maintained, so maybe there is something else going on.
He could always hire a gardening service if he wanted it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House