Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
He could always hire a gardening service if he wanted it done.
Maybe they can't afford it, or maybe they have better things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Have a neighbor in my subdivision that is being very neglectful of the burm area up at the front of their property by the road. This is typically where most folks would plant juniper or low growing bushes for coverage since it's angled. The house is kept relatively decent, but they don't seem to understand that there is more to taking care of one's yard than just cutting the grass. The bushes up by their house have almost grown as high as the roof, I don't think they have been trimmed since they moved in. I think these folks have lived there maybe 3-4 years, I have never met them.

There is no HOA or any rules concerning the neighborhood, but everyone does pretty well without them. There are about 20 homes, ranging in value from $250-550k with most being in 300's.

This one property, it has been neglected so long that up by the road, there are actually small trees growing, they're up about 8-10 fit tall now. These are going to cost this person some money to remove if they don't take care of it soon. Has anyone ever dealt with a neighbor like this? Any suggestions on how to approach them?
I wouldn't approach them. Quite simply, it isn't your business.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:39 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
This highly likely is none of your concern.

Quote:
The remainder of the homes are various earth tones.
How boring.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I hate manicured landscaping. The worst is when people trim their bushes into geometric shapes.

Lilacs should grow as tall as possible. We love when nature provides us with an extra tree.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Have a neighbor in my subdivision that is being very neglectful of the burm area up at the front of their property by the road.
It's berm, not "burm."
I have a problem with neighbors who don't speak proper English, because that really bugs me.
But somehow we manage to work it out without going to internet forums for advice.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The worst is when people trim their bushes into geometric shapes..
Here you go:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001...rs_xlarge.jpeg

Old 07-22-2013, 04:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Our next door neighbor's home is painted blue - no way would our HOA have permitted that. We don't know how they pulled it off. There's nothing I can do but they are nice people so I just blow it off.
There are many blue houses in my neighborhood. My husband wants to paint our house blue. I vetoed it. I'm not a fan of blue houses, but I support other people's right to paint their house whatever color they want.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This highly likely is none of your concern.

Actually it is because we and the rest of the community chose to live in a community that limited the colors a person could paint their homes. My next door neighbor (apparently) either didn't know any better or decided he was going to do things his way.

We like the HOA and we like the theme the neighborhood colors fall under. All the homes aren't the same color, contrary to many who are critical of HOAs.

I would never live in a community that didn't have a strong, established, HOA.

Yes, I want people telling me what color house I can have.
Yes, I want people telling me that my grass is too long.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't put a 100 foot ham radio antenna in my back yard.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't park my boat with the blue tarp on it in my front yard.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't park an RV on the side of my house.
Yes, I want people telling me I can't leave my garage door open.
Yes, I want people telling me my trashcans can't be visible from the street or by the neighbors.

The bottom line is, with no HOA a homeowner risks living next door to someone who simply doesn't care. All it takes is one guy who parks his car on the lawn or has a sofa on the porch or keeps a blue tarp boat in the front yard to lower the values of all the homes in the neighborhood. HOA's in general, protect homeowners from these property lowering situations.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM

133 posts, read 249,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Call the Fire Department, tell them there is a fire hazard out front..
My neighbor's front bushes are over-grown also, and he is a volunteer fire fighter in our town!!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
"Someone who pays out non-productive money for years on end and then calls their inflation a "profit" has rocks in their head. They are fun to watch though, getting all upset about the proper settings for their rocks."...

Funny take on home ownership, except that a rock has no use, but a house can shelter you and your loved ones, provide refuge, safe haven and generate lifelong memories...all things that are both tangible and intangible. A home is hardly a rock.

That said, there is a huge difference between painting a house pink or smurf blue, and allowing it to become blighted and unclean. I like having an eccentric neighbor, but I think keeping the yard mowed and hedges trimmed are the basic requirement for good neighborliness. It really is just being polite at the very least. Beyond that, having a 20 ft tall lilac "tree"-bush is no one else's concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House