Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady

Boy, hit a nerve, didn't I?

I DID read the entire thread, and all of your posts, before commenting.

The last regarding keeping family heirlooms in the garage was a lighthearted response to this post of yours which seemed to indicate, given that the topic was leaving the garage door open and a target of opportunity theft occurring, that you keep your family heirlooms in the garage:
You need to go back and read them again.

I was responding to a poster who said they didn't even lock their house.

Quote:
I am happy having a home where people can walk in whenever they please.
If you are going to make comments about what someone says......get your facts straight first.

Hit a nerve? I guess so.....I do not appreciate being misquoted....few people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:20 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,055 times
Default Fwiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
There are many blue houses in my neighborhood. My husband wants to paint our house blue. I vetoed it. I'm not a fan of blue houses, but I support other people's right to paint their house whatever color they want.
(So long as they're not your husband )

Okay, okay, pink then. Little pink houses, for you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I've never heard of that in my life. It's like seeing that Freudian theories of psycho-sexual development apply to real estate. Instead of the man flashing his raincoat open to show his metaphorical junk, you get somebody flashing their garage door open to show non-metaphorical junk.
Where I live, no house is permitted to have its garage doors facing the street. So the problem never arises as you can't see whose doors are open and whose aren't. Sort of a solution.

The worst thing about HOAs is that they can make up new rules on the fly. Well, that and the fact that they attract frustrated martinets from coast to coast. I can see pros & cons though, myself.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
(So long as they're not your husband )
Exactly!

Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
The reason for requiring homeowners to keep their garage doors closed whenever possible has nothing to do with theft - it is for appearance. Nobody wants to look at a garage full of junk.

Do you keep your closet doors open?
Bathroom door open?
Toilet cover up?
Bathroom door open AND toilet cover up? In full view when guests are at your home?
Does your HOA check these things ? WOW I really do not want to live in that HOA. But some form of code compliance would be nice.. I have six cars in the front yard and two in the back with piles of leaves that were never picked up from last fall... OH - I don't - next door does and the county has done almost nothing to correct it Is that enough to complain about ? I sure would not want anyone to think that I am trying to control the neighbor by calling the ombudsman's office..

Here is google earth's picture Do not know date - but things are different now One more car and one more trailer...

I am still wanting to see a recent picture of the OP's neighbor's yard.. Around here there are numerous intersections that have plants growing up so high that you can not see on coming traffic until you are in the road.. A light misting with diluted roundup will take care of that..
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbors that don't keep the front of their yards trimmed-0001.jpg  

Last edited by Treenoid; 07-27-2013 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 08:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Does your HOA check these things ? WOW I really do not want to live in that HOA. But some form of code compliance would be nice.. I have six cars in the front yard and two in the back with piles of leaves that were never picked up from last fall... OH - I don't - next door does and the county has done almost nothing to correct it Is that enough to complain about ? I sure would not want anyone to think that I am trying to control the neighbor by calling the ombudsman's office..

Here is google earth's picture Do not know date - but things are different now One more car and one more trailer...
You made it sound like it was junk cars up on blocks. Those are cars that are actually being used.

Your neighbor has a one car garage. Where do you expect them to keep their cars?

Would you feel better if they installed concrete or asphalt parking lot?

Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,604,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You made it sound like it was junk cars up on blocks. Those are cars that are actually being used.

Your neighbor has a one car garage. Where do you expect them to keep their cars?

Would you feel better if they installed concrete or asphalt parking lot?
The county would make him demonstrate that the cars run... all those cars do not run and the neighbor is perfectly willing to lie to the deputies The test is that the car can be started and it is supposed to be operable The blue sedan will not run and last time he effed with it he caught his lawn on fire.. The last time the deputy showed up he said it ran but he could not find the keys.. One of the white sedans came back on a flatbed tow truck just before Memorial Day and he has not touched it since...

The one car garage is completely full of junk If you opened the door you would not be able to step inside. The back part is worse - there is a rat trail - like on the show Hoarders.. He could be on the show..

Them -?? you are assuming that more than one person actually lives in that house.. ONLY one - even his children will not go in the house.. they will wait in the car for him to get ready the few times they are even by there..

The cars are used to store crap and some tools - bargains go in the house or in the back yard to be covered by tarps for awhile

The county started on a revised ordinance that would require "improved parking" but never finished it

I will try to find or take new pictures of the backyard - HFS....

The state does not require any sort of vehicle inspection

Here is what the Sheriff is supposed to do - but the deputies will believe someone rather than making sure the vehicle is operable..
http://www.rcsd.net/comm/codes.htm

I had my fill with this years ago and decided that I should not pursue it - would not want to say something that could be used in court against me...There are new neighbors that want to live in an area that is maintained to minimum standards - and they THINK that they will get the county to do something LOL LOL LOL I wish them luck

Last edited by Treenoid; 07-27-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:01 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Quote:
The reason for requiring homeowners to keep their garage doors closed whenever possible has nothing to do with theft - it is for appearance. Nobody wants to look at a garage full of junk.

NO, it has nothing to do with that either, it is those that want to control every aspect of other people's lives when theirs is a f'n disaster.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Quote:

Do you keep your closet doors open?
Bathroom door open?
Toilet cover up?
Bathroom door open AND toilet cover up? In full view when guests are at your home?

If I am busy USING the closet - yes, the door stays open ...

Bathroom door open? Yeah, unless someone is using it.

Toilet lid(I guess you mean the one on the seat) ... Yeah it stays down, habit from having animals.

Guests don't know what toilets are ? They don't expect to see them IN the bathroom?

Reminds me of toilet "bowl" commercials from the 60's, they NEVER showed an actual toilet bowl but a clear "salad" bowl ....

Old 07-27-2013, 07:27 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
An open letter to my neighbors:

Please accept my apologies for not having my shrubs trimmed for you. As you all know, I have recently gone back to working a full time job after having been retired for a year and then working part time for the last couple. I am still trying to get my body back into the routine of working all day away from home. It's getting better, though. Unfortunately though I am now scheduled for a total knee replacement the day after tomorrow, so I guess the trimming will have to wait.

I hope you weren't too upset with me today since I left the garage door open all day. It just seemed that after those weeks of 90+ temperatures we were just through, that breeze blowing that 70 degree stuff through today was just too inviting. That's OK though, you all know what my garage looks like inside since most of you have passed through it when I leave the doors unlocked so you can get to our basement in times of severe weather, since most of the rest of you have houses on slabs or crawl spaces. But hey, that's what neighbors do for each other.

I really don't want to upset any of you, since no one put up a fuss when we covered our plywood siding with vinyl several years ago. I know the rest of you have wood or masonry exteriors, but we get along just fine with all the different colors and textures.

Oh, one more thing, I want to say thanks again to that one neighbor who dropped off the plate of ham sandwiches the day we moved in 14 years ago. I know they were left over from your wife's funeral dinner the day before and that you had a lot on your own mind at that time, but it was really a nice way to welcome us to the neighborhood. I still remember your comment when you dropped them off, "Here, you have a busy day ahead of you. These will take one item off the things that you have to do. Enjoy, and welcome to the neighborhood." The rest of you stopped in later to say hello.

Now, I hope my knee heals well, because I really do enjoy running the snowblower over those driveways in the winter, even if you have never asked.

Love this neighborhood!

Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
Here is google earth's picture
Somebody really likes old Volvos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House