U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2013, 07:43 PM

1,695 posts, read 489,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Have a neighbor in my subdivision that is being very neglectful of the burm area up at the front of their property by the road. This is typically where most folks would plant juniper or low growing bushes for coverage since it's angled. The house is kept relatively decent, but they don't seem to understand that there is more to taking care of one's yard than just cutting the grass. The bushes up by their house have almost grown as high as the roof, I don't think they have been trimmed since they moved in. I think these folks have lived there maybe 3-4 years, I have never met them.

This one property, it has been neglected so long that up by the road, there are actually small trees growing, they're up about 8-10 fit tall now. These are going to cost this person some money to remove if they don't take care of it soon. Has anyone ever dealt with a neighbor like this? Any suggestions on how to approach them?
Okay what is WRONG with any of that?
Why would they need to remove the trees by the road unless they get tangled in the electric wires.

What is wrong with the bushes by the house ?

Maybe some pictures of this horror will help some of us to understand your problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM

1,695 posts, read 489,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Yes, that what people (are supposed to) do before that buy a home - they research the HOA rules.
Well you stick with your need to have someone tell you how to take care of your house and let the rest of us that can think for ourselves take care of ours.
MOST HOA rules are grey so they can make them mean whatever they want whenever they want like that silly garage door open crap.

You really leave your garage door closed even when you are in there?
How about when you are working in the yard?
You open your garage, get out your lawn stuff, then close it, then open it again when you are done ... Do you realize how silly that is. Oh wait, maybe you belong to one of those HOAs where you are NOT allowed to do your own lawn work.

IF I was in the market the FIRST question of the realtor would be is there a HOA, if she/he says yes, I would say SORRY got anything without one?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If my wife saw a 20 foot high lilac, she would have given what ever you were asking.
Really? I have one in my back yard and I'll sell her our house Ok, maybe not quite 20 feet high, but 15 at least.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 PM

776 posts, read 907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When those pine trees grow tall enough, nothing will grow under them. The grass and weeds will be gone. The pine trees will provide privacy for the neighbor, and you won't be able to see their bushes up to the roof line. I'm a bit blown away that you're upset that evergreens are up to the roof line. Many grow 75 feet tall. They're trees, after all. If they are bushes, there is NOTHING more beautiful than a two story tall rhododendron bush.
Yes, I agree. The thing with the pines is that they are growing in the ditch area where the landscape rocks are. There isn't enough flat area for a tree to take proper root, so at some point, the trees are going to fall, maybe even on the road. These are Loblolly pines and aren't particularly attractive and once they get big offer no privacy at all. TrekNature | Loblolly Pine Photo

I don't mind the bushes up by the house, but it's almost starting to look like nobody lives there. If the grass wasn't being cut, that's exactly what most folks would think.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Here's a picture of the house, taken in 2007 (google map view). The whole front of the house, except the entrance is pretty much obscured with bushes. The rock area up front by the road is all over-grown with the pine trees and plants. I can try to take a pic tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbors that don't keep the front of their yards trimmed-pic.jpg  

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,400,919 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. The thing with the pines is that they are growing in the ditch area where the landscape rocks are. There isn't enough flat area for a tree to take proper root, so at some point, the trees are going to fall, maybe even on the road. These are Loblolly pines and aren't particularly attractive and once they get big offer no privacy at all. TrekNature | Loblolly Pine Photo
You don't know much about pine trees. They don't need much dirt. They can grow on rocks.

And Loblolly pines can also look very attractive and offer privacy.

Quote:
I don't mind the bushes up by the house, but it's almost starting to look like nobody lives there. If the grass wasn't being cut, that's exactly what most folks would think.
Who cares besides you? Obviosly that's how the owners want it to look.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Here's a picture of the house, taken in 2007 (google map view). The whole front of the house, except the entrance is pretty much obscured with bushes. The rock area up front by the road is all over-grown with the pine trees and plants. I can try to take a pic tomorrow.
If I owned that house, I'd want that dreadfully ugly ditch area to be filled with trees so you couldn't see my house from the road.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You don't know much about pine trees. They don't need much dirt. They can grow on rocks.

And Loblolly pines can also look very attractive and offer privacy.

Who cares besides you? Obviosly that's how the owners want it to look.

Do you live in N. Carolina? Most of the Loblolly pines in the area look like sticks with a bush on top. I got rid of all of them on my property, they look hideous.

No, I seriously doubt the owner wants the front of their yard to be over-grown. They are probably too busy and travel too often to have time to tend to their yard, which is why I was asking if anyone had suggestions on how to approach them about it. Myself and some neighbors would be happy to help the owner clean up the area.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:00 PM

12,318 posts, read 12,046,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
People complain about things that really don't concern them. It's kind of funny.

Some people want the one house that stands out.
Some people want high trees and bushes.
It doesn't sound like they are slobs or leaving garbage around their yards. Why care so much? Maybe they do it to make your house look better. If you care that much, you move to an HOA that regulates all of these minor details.

Ugly, and he still made bank. BTW-His house didn't impact values of anyone else around him: Park Slope
We see this house daily, however it has been sold and the new owners painted it brown, they bought it for 2M.

While I know the pink is terribly putrid, however, I liked it.

it is again now on the market for 4M............

PS: This pink house had no impact on the rest of the neighborhood, as houses still sold at unbelieveable prices, as this is Brooklyns Prime Neighborhoods to live in.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 07-22-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Do you live in N. Carolina? Most of the Loblolly pines in the area look like sticks with a bush on top. I got rid of all of them on my property, they look hideous.
I have lived in North Carolina. Lexington to be exact.

Just because you think they are hideous doesn't mean everyone should get rid of theirs.

Quote:
No, I seriously doubt the owner wants the front of their yard to be over-grown. They are probably too busy and travel too often to have time to tend to their yard, which is why I was asking if anyone had suggestions on how to approach them about it. Myself and some neighbors would be happy to help the owner clean up the area.
Even if they are too busy, I'm sure they would be furious and if you and the neighbors offered to "clean up" their yard. Maybe they are too busy because someone in the household is terminally ill. The appearance of the house will be extremely unimportant by comparison. Your offering to "help" clean up their yard will be insulting when they could probably use help with many, many more important matters. I'll bet your neighbor purposely bought in a non-HOA neighborhood to avoid people like you. If you wanted to have control over your neighbors, you should have bought a house in an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House