Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times

Advertisements

I've had issues with my 2nd floor being very hot ever since May (begin of Summer months). Part of the problem I believe is there are two attics in my house. One above the 2nd floor ceiling and the other behind the walls of the 2nd floor.

I am in the process of adding insulation but one thing I noticed while walking/crawling in the attic is that there is open space showing that leads to underneath the 2nd floor.

In some areas insulation is covering this up but I'd say at least half the secions are missing insulation so you can easily see the open space.

Could this be a major issue as to what's increasing the temperature (summer) and keeping the room colder in the winter?

I do know the floors get pretty warm on a hot day.

What's the best way to address this? Just get insulation in those open areas to keep air from flowing?

I took some pictures to help explain everything. The first picture is of the wall that separates the attic and bed room.

The 2nd & 3rd picture are 2 views of basically the open space.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM

**I did want to note that when I put my hand in the open space it feels cooler than the attic temp. I'd say the attic temp is probably 120-130 degrees so even 80 degree temp would probably feel cool. Plus, my downstairs ceiling temp reads about 77 degrees according to my therm gun. so maybe that's why I feel it as colder?

Also, the title might be misleading but I don't want to insulate between the floors. I know this would make it harder to keep the upstairs warmer in the winter time.

Might concern is closing off these open spaces that are directly connected to the attic which gets so hot.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
soffit air in ----> ridge/gable vent out --->
The rest is about insulation on the room side

Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
soffit air in ----> ridge/gable vent out --->
The rest is about insulation on the room side

I found something more of what I'm reffering too

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...e_May_2008.pdf

Page 5 shows something called a "knee wall". That's exactly what my picture is. They are saying roll up insulation.

I know what you're saying about the soffit vent etc.. but as far as insulation the room side. If hot air can travel under the floor therefore making the floors hotter it seems like this could help the problem right?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Was the first round discussion not significant enough-
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house...rooms-hot.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House