U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM

252 posts, read 279,641 times

Advertisements

I need to replace a toilet and I am so ready to throw away the plunger. I have heard PAF works really well but the cheapest I can find is at Home Depot for $440!!

Any advice on a powerful toilet at a REASONABLE price would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 AM

6,368 posts, read 4,439,102 times
Five years ago, I purchased two AMERICAN STANDARD toliets from Home Depot and I have been very pleased. They have the best flush of any toliet I have owned. I don't know the model number, but they had a"FLUSH RATING" of 10. I would never buy any toliet with a flush rating less than 10. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't anywhere near $440 for both.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM

331 posts, read 455,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Five years ago, I purchased two AMERICAN STANDARD toliets from Home Depot and I have been very pleased. They have the best flush of any toliet I have owned. I don't know the model number, but they had a"FLUSH RATING" of 10. I would never buy any toliet with a flush rating less than 10. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't anywhere near $440 for both.
I have purchased a similar unit myself. The flushing power is a wonderful thing..except at night when it wakes the entire house up.

@Reggie: Keep looking..440 is a heavy load for what you are looking to flush with. Happy hunting

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM

217 posts, read 222,772 times
I'm a fan of Toto "Dual Cyclone" toilets. Only 1.28 gallons per flush, but it really does the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0]TOTO

They've got two other kinds of flushing, the e-max and d-max. Flushing Systems The DC is more for bowl wash, the E-max for 'max' removal.

They're a bit more than similar toilets, but IMO, are far superior to the 'crap' you find in the box stores.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:43 PM

252 posts, read 279,641 times
Holy smokes I was sold until I priced them. Range from $550-3,000!!!!! If I ever have to pay 3K for a potty, I'll go in the backyard!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 AM

331 posts, read 455,422 times
You would pay 3k to poop in the backyard? Damn you must really live down in the Jones Valley area.

Regards
Huffbuffer

Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM

217 posts, read 222,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeBusRider View Post
Holy smokes I was sold until I priced them. Range from $550-3,000!!!!! If I ever have to pay 3K for a potty, I'll go in the backyard!!!
The "basic" two-piece sanigloss Totos starts ~$310 (Drake II), even thought the MSRP is $546. The non-sanigloss Drake II has an MSRP of $779, but it is actually a downgrade from the non-sanigloss version. Sanigloss is their name for a coating on the bowl to make it smoother and easiser to clean.

Prices go up for 1 piece toilets. $400 for Ultramax II, MSRP of $743. A case of where you should ignore the MSRP.

You can go fancier if you want At that point, the box stores don't carry any equivalent models.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM

944 posts, read 1,023,005 times
This brings the question "when is a toilet, more than 'just' a toilet...?"

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,293,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
This brings the question "when is a toilet, more than 'just' a toilet...?"
When it flushes with a mighty roar and everything goes through it like <insert goose phrase here>.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 AM

445 posts, read 1,469,462 times
I have been waiting to get all my pictures and the last Kohler taken apart to start my own thread... I was afraid that Kohler might consider it - "defication of character"

I bought an American Standard from HD a few months ago.. It is a new design with a flaperless system.. I have managed to hang it up once.. which would allow the water to continue to flow.. ALL the toilets I have had could do this..

This is the Champion 4 Max... It is 1.28gpf (gallons per flush) but the inside of the tank has a different look - hard to explain I will try for pictures later on..

This toilet flushes very strongly but not loudly.. ?? In the bottom of the bowl the hole that allows water to enter from the tank is much larger than my old toilet - the flush is not all the water coming down the walls the bowl but more of a charge of water at the level of the bottom of the bowl...

The one I got is Tall Height, Elongated Bowl.. check to be sure you get what you are looking for in that respect..

Cost was just over $200 I will buy another for the other bathroom soon.. It comes with a slow close seat and no tools required - not even a wax ring (included)

I have had a few tests of the flush power over the last few months and it does great....

Never another Kohler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House