U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,898,046 times
Default What Is The Best Sewage Ejection Pump for a Basement?

What is the best sewage ejection pump for a basement bathroom? I came across a Wayne 1/2 hp sewage ejection pump at Lowe's for $200 and it appeared to be a stout unit.

another question: why does there have to be a separate sump pump pit and sewage ejection pump pit? Everything goes to the same place so I fail to understand the need for two (2) separate pits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 01:06 PM

6,614 posts, read 20,448,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
another question: why does there have to be a separate sump pump pit and sewage ejection pump pit? Everything goes to the same place so I fail to understand the need for two (2) separate pits.
I'd like to know where you got that from? Never heard of that myself- unless you're talking about two different types- sump and/or mascerator.
My plumber uses the Little Giant (whole system about $600)-
The only problem I ever had with one, was the float stuck from non-use. It was a simple repair- I wish I could say the same about the cleanup. My configurations were pretty much the same- Buried in b'ment slab, vertical lift was no more than 10'.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'd like to know where you got that from? Never heard of that myself- unless you're talking about two different types- sump and/or mascerator.
My plumber uses the Little Giant (whole system about $600)-
The only problem I ever had with one, was the float stuck from non-use. It was a simple repair- I wish I could say the same about the cleanup. My configurations were pretty much the same- Buried in b'ment slab, vertical lift was no more than 10'.
K'ledgeBldr
I have seen quite a few homes in the Indianapolis area with two (2) separate pits in the basement..one for the sump pump and the other for the sewage ejector pump. Someone said it is a Code requirement.

There's obviously more maintenance with two pits and two different pumps. I would prefer just one pit....'one pit fits all'.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 11-14-2007 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM

6,614 posts, read 20,448,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
K'ledgeBldr
I have seen quite a few homes in the Indianapolis area with two (2) separate pits in the basement..one for the sump pump and the other for the sewage ejector pump. Someone said it is a Code requirement.

There's obviously more maintenance with two pits and two different pumps. I would prefer just one pit....'one pit fits all'.
That sounds more like it- I figured you talking about a sump. The reason they require two separate pumps is probably because of the cycle rate- or maybe to eliminate excess ground water into the sewer system (since sumps usually dump somewhere outside the house? Either way it is more money!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That sounds more like it- I figured you talking about a sump. The reason they require two separate pumps is probably because of the cycle rate- or maybe to eliminate excess ground water into the sewer system (since sumps usually dump somewhere outside the house? Either way it is more money!
yep it's more money and more for an average homeowner to keep an eye on to make sure that both pumps are functioning properly so a disaster doesn't occur.

I am not sure what the avergae life expectancy on a sewage ejection pump is but my guess would be no more than 12 to 14 years. It would be a messy job to pull and change one. Also would have to install a new check valve and maybe something else. A plumber I am not. I have been looking at Zoellers and also Little Giants. Lowe's has a 1/2 hp Wayne for around $200 and it appears to be a decent sewage ejector pump.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 61,299 times
You need two because: One sump goes to your septic tank (Sewage water from your bathrooms) and the other drains the water around your foundation.(surface water)

Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM

73 posts, read 282,319 times
i always recommend zoeller and have had great luck with them.

i have used some other of little giants line of pumps and have good luck with them as well.

no experience with the wayne, though.

some people buy a spare pump for emergency situations, depending on the location and condition of the check valve the change out to a new pump is not THAT bad .... a direct replacement of the pump(exact same model) can make a huge difference.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 44,902 times
When shopping for a sewage ejector pump it will be extremely important to be patient and take your time. The more knowledge you are able to gather the better choice you will make when buying the pump.

Even though offline stores are usually the place to go, taking the time to shop online will be helpful as well since you will be able to look at many customer reviews and feed off their experiences with the specific pump you are interested in.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 07-25-2011 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: Terms of Service require 10 posts prior to adding links

Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,531,134 times
We have separate pits. The sewage pump goes into the sewer system. The sump pumps empty into the front yard. It is illegal in our area to have a sump pump empty into the sewer system. It is also illegal to have the sewage pump empty into your front yard.

I am pretty sure that our sewage pump is a Zoller. I know that the better sump pump is from Zoller.

You can get a cheapo sewer pump from harbor freight. If you enjoy changing the pump regularly (stinky and messy), you can save money with the cheapo Harbor freight pumps. Personally I would not want to risk the cost and grossness of a pump failure. Just buy a quality metal pump

Old 01-17-2012, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 33,281 times
There is a difference between a sump pump and a sewer ejector pump. The sump pump pumps out ground water only. The sewer ejector pump is used when there is "waste" plumbing below the main sewer line. The waste has to be pumped up to meet the sewer line to be dispensed into the sewage system. the only time you would not have a sewer ejector pump for below grade plumbing is when all the plumbing is gravity pulled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House