Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times

Advertisements

I have a plunger for each bathroom. My husband has to use the plunger regularly. The kids and I usually use the other bathroom and I think we've had to plunge it twice in the three years we've been here.

The solution to your dilemma is to put the nice plunger in the bathroom that other people will see (guest bathroom, maybe) and keep the cheap ones in the bathrooms that only family uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 02:37 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
Ummm, I don't know about anyone else but I don't want my plunger sitting out. Those things have germs on them, whether they are $25.00 or $5.00! BTW I have one cheap wooden handle plunger hidden in the laundry. I can and have run to get it before.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
There's never a need to run. If the toilets going to overflow, just take the top off the tank, reach in and push the flapper back down onto the opening. That will stop water from going into the bowl. The water in the tank is clean. Then calmly go get the plunger.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
One, I think it's been used once in the yrs. since we've had it (two bathrooms)

Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Three bathrooms. One $5 red rubber plunger with the wood handle. Used less often than our hurricane supplies. If we had to use it more often - I'd get new toilets - not more plungers.

As for the poster who said her husband caused 99% of all the problems - WTF is going on there? Does the guy not flush the toilet? Or perhaps there's a septic tank there - and he's using the super soft Charmin (which can clog up a septic tank faster than an Olympic runner can run the 100 yard dash!). Robyn

Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Two plungers and two toilets. The bathrooms are on different levels so I won't take any chances....

Our toilets are pretty good but are nowhere near Toto quality and nowhere near the Toto price. I paid $25 for each of our plungers, we use them a few times a year but that purchase saved us from a $800-1000 toilet!

BTW my $25 plungers are about the ugliest things I have ever seen, but they have a container that keeps them off the floor and hidden away. That was an important "feature" since these are functional plungers that are not for display purposes ( I keep those with my china and Fabergé eggs).

Old 07-30-2013, 05:17 PM

30 posts, read 137,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I found a nice looking toilet plunger that I'll be purchasing to replace our ugly cheap toilet plungers that we currently have. It's expensive - $25 - but looks nice.

I have three bathrooms. How many toilet plungers do I need? In my house growing up, I had one toilet plunger for the house. If you clogged the toilet, you ran around and found the toilet plunger. My spouse says we need one per bathroom.

What's your opinion? I hesitate buying 3 because $75 for toilet plungers seems wasteful. It does seem handy to have one per bathroom.
Put that money towards Toto toilets and you won't need any plungers. Haven't needed a plunger once in the three years I've had mine, and I don't have great plumbing.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:49 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
That's insane.

If you have that kind of money to blow, please, let me send you my wish list!

I have one bathroom, one plunger. I tried the $1 plunger from Dollar Tree but it split easily so I "upgraded" to the heavier duty $5 one from my local grocery store.

It stays under the bathroom sink. It gets used a bit more here than other places we've lived because the toilet is old, the house is over 100 years old, and the apartment building has plumbing issues but that's their problem, I'm not replacing toilets in a rental on my own dime.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
I found a nice looking toilet plunger that I'll be purchasing to replace our ugly cheap toilet plungers that we currently have. It's expensive - $25 - but looks nice.

I have three bathrooms. How many toilet plungers do I need? In my house growing up, I had one toilet plunger for the house. If you clogged the toilet, you ran around and found the toilet plunger. My spouse says we need one per bathroom.

What's your opinion? I hesitate buying 3 because $75 for toilet plungers seems wasteful. It does seem handy to have one per bathroom.
We have 1 per bathroom. Just put the nice one in the guest bathroom, and cheap ones in the others.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
I'll bet Martha Stuart has one of those...with a little bow holding a bag of potpoohree in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House